No announcement yet.

Which UTV would you buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive have heard they squeak a lot. That could be an issue when sneaking up on deer while going 50 mph.

Comment

Recently had this conversation with a good friend of mine... A little back story, I have had a Ranger for a couple years now and my good friend has a large ranch and has owned several different brands of UTV's including Kubota, Polaris, Kawasaki, Etc...

As for a work only machine, the Kubota was determined the winner... As for an overall machine the Ranger was decided to be the winner...

Polaris does have some know flaws with their machines (squeaks, etc.) these issues can easily be overcome by the average shadetree mechanical guy...

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter2 View Post
        Honda big red. Shaft driven. Tough as nails.
        X2 ..... Belts are a real pain. I will never own a belt drive again.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
          X2 ..... Belts are a real pain. I will never own a belt drive again.
          I've never owned a UTV, but plan on buying one in the next 0-18 months.
          Is the negative about belt drive machines have more to do with water riding ? I wouldn't plan on riding in water very much at all on my place where I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
            Is the negative about belt drive machines have more to do with water riding ? I wouldn't plan on riding in water very much at all on my place where I hunt.
            My belt issues with my Kawasaki Mule was caused by driving through low water on roads and through swampy areas. Slippage and breakage way too often. It was the reason I then switched to Kubota which has hydraulic drive. Huge mistake. What a lemon! Now back to back Polaris's.
            Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 01-20-2014, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Then you should be fine. I heard if in water most of the time they could slip. I've owned 4 rangers used and new and haven't changed a belt on them yet.

I have an 800 crew ranger now. Yes they squeak and yes that can be fixed. They are smooth and ride good. If I were to buy a new one today first decide if you need a crew or single cab.

When I bought my crew I test drove the 900 single cab ranger, wow! I would probably test ride the honda just for comparison. I've owned Hondas in the past with no issues as well.

Mules and Kubotas aren't for me. Rougher ride, smaller machine and no top end if you want it.

Comment

Honda. I've been on them all and when I bought one, it was a Honda big red. I just sold it because I'm down sizing. Had it 2 years without a single problem.

Comment

If your interested in a Polaris, check out Hauffpauir in Lampasses Tx. I bought a ranger 400 in 2011, and they had the best price in the state. I actually bought mine at Bastrop Power sports, but it because I convinced them to match Hoffpauir's price, and they were close to where I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
                    I kinda like my Kawasaki Teryx4 750 EPS. It's a more versatile machine than any other that will work, hunt, trail ride, mud with the best of them, and outrun the PoPo Rzr4 800 in the sand dunes with all machines being stock. A plus is you don't have to have a 4 lane highway to make a u turn like those school buses so it's much easier to maneuver in the woods. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another one.
                    I had the single cab and now I have the 4 seater, these are awesome machines, my only complaint is the noise, I think it is the transmission that makes all the noise inside the cab, none the less it is a bad arse machine.

Comment

I know i'm going to get "I've never had that problem" or "you don't know how to drive it" from some but I have been left stranded twice 6+ miles from camp due to belt failure and had to walk out. No water driving just muddy roads. To each his own but if I wanted to take up power walking I would have stayed at the house. A shaft or chain drive is the only way "for me".

Comment

If I bought a new Utv tomorrow, and money wasn't a problem, I'd get the Can am Commander 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                          Buy a used jeep...
                          You could completely deck out a used YJ for the cost of one of these things. You can usually find used Jeep Cherokee 4x4's in auto transmission in great working order, even if they aren't the prettiest for under 2 grand. I've seen a running one for sale as low as $300. Much cheaper and much more useful than a utv. And if your trails aren't wide enough for something cheap class, you've saved enough to buy a chainsaw and widen them out

Comment

Another bump for kawasaki teryx. ..love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                              We have 3 of them. The only down fall to a polaris is that they squeak. They squeak from places that are impossible to find. Best UTV out there in my opinion.

This past weekend, My ranger had 12 bags of corn, 2 guys, 2 dogs, a cooler, and 2 hogs on a receiver hitch rack going through mud and sand like it was empty. They are truly amazing machines. However, they freaking squeak!
                              I can attest to that... Just about everyone in our camp where Andy hunts has 'em and THEY ALL SQUEAK!! Riding with 'em, if you're not used to it, it'll drive you nutz...

But when the goin' gets real tough, those rangers just keep chugging along. They are unstoppable in the mud and deep sand.

Comment

IMO, can't go wrong with a Ranger once you get rid of the squeaking. I like the new Honda Pioneers, but don't like the fact that to use the 4 seats, you eliminate use of the bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X