No announcement yet.

Have you ever ate something that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, my mommas pinto beans. I’m not a huge bean fan but man hers are out of this world. A big ole ham hock and some fajita seasoning and she lets them cook over night. I’ve tried many times to recreate them but they’re never the same.

Comment

Granma's coconut meringue pie. Haven't found a replacement yet...

Comment

I’m the same as many others I see that have replied. Nanny made the best chicken and dumplings you’d ever eat. I’ve tried and tried....just isn’t the same!!

Comment

My mothers mashed taters. The best of the best. Gravy and chicken fried steak were very good. Never got close to her gravy. Might be because I don't use the Crisco grease she did in the 60's. Back in the days when you use a meat clever are the side of a plate to tenderize the meat. Anyone else remember those days in the early 60's?
          Last edited by doghouse; 08-02-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

My moms zucchini relish, we still make it, but always brings back memories of my mom. My dad used to make the best potato pan cakes, and potato ball soup. I still try to make them but can't get it " right" most times. Just don't taste quit like they did when he made them. Oh , and any time we have birthday, wedding, cakes my mom used to make everyone's ( friends, neighbors, girlfriends , sisters boy friends) some being kinda X rated ( r rated now days) but good memories trying to make them taste like my parents made them.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top.

Originally posted by C.Read View Post
              Reading over some of my past threads, came across this one and thought I'd bring it back to life.

Smoked venison sausage brings me back to the days of dad and moms camp on the Neches River. Had many a cold boat rides down that river where we hunted.

Walked in to work this morning and the smell of coffee hit me but it was different than the other 3000 times I've walked thru the door and coffee was brewing. I was instantly reminded of the old camp on the Neches. Waking up early in the morning to get ready for the long cold boat ride down river and smelling the coffee brewing in the kitchen. I was in my teens back then and didn't drink coffee but I'm sure it was probably some of the best out there.

Comment

Let's just say I grew up kinda poor and leave it like that. I eaten Chow Chow sandwiches and Air sandwiches a time or two just to eat, If we had Bologna that was a big deal and maybe a chicken from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                  My mothers mashed taters. The best of the best. Gravy and chicken fried steak were very good. Never got close to her gravy. Might be because I don't use the Crisco grease she did in the 60's. Back in the days when you use a meat clever are the side of a plate to tenderize the meat. Anyone else remember those days in the early 60's?
                  Grandma still had a wood burning cook stove when I was little, she used to keep homemade bread and cornbread on the warming rack, I can still smell that bread. She would dry out green beans on a screen in the summer and keep them in an old cloth flour sack, in the winter time she would cook a big mess of them with jowl bacon and tater chunks. She called them Shuck Beans and Boy Howdy, they was good.

Comment

Sweet potato pie, cheeseball, green bean casserole, and chili beans will always take me back to my grandma's kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                      Here a while back, I introduced my granddaughter to sugar sammiches. She was asking me what kinds of snacks and things I ate when I was a kid. These were something my mother had when she was a girl during the depression. Just a slice of bread with butter and sugar. Fold it up and down it goes. Oh the memories it brought back.
                      made this for my girls the other day (2 and 5) and they didn't understand why I thought it was so good. It was a special treat when I was a kid. Also still eat avocado in flour tortillas with hot sauce and have flashbacks to growing up every time. Sometimes I think growing up poor was a good thing, didn't know what we were missing and made the best out of what we had

Comment

These kind of threads never get old. Got to page 4 before I saw the date.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                          My dad served in Vietnam. According to him, they ate lots of SOS (biscuits and gravy). My sister and I loved it and he would always eat something else. Well my kids love it also and we eat the heck out of it. Every time we do, I think of Dad. He died when I was 12.

Brian
                          SOS for us was always ground beef in cream gravy served on toast. We had this for dinner at least once a week when I was a girl.

For breakfast, we’d have something similar called Creamed Eggs on Toast…sliced hard-boiled eggs in cream gravy on toast.

Always takes me back.

Comment

A farm hand’s wife would send him to work with refried bean tacos to give to me when I was a little kid. It’s a very rare occasion but when I come across a specific refried bean recipe it’s like I’m sitting on the farm again.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                              My dad served in Vietnam. According to him, they ate lots of SOS (biscuits and gravy). My sister and I loved it and he would always eat something else. Well my kids love it also and we eat the heck out of it. Every time we do, I think of Dad. He died when I was 12.

Brian
                              Just the mention of SOS takes me back. Sh$t on a shingle, dad called it, but ours was on toast not a biscuit. My dad served in Nam too and said it was his favorite meal over there. He ate the heck out of it and we did too.

Comment

My mother kept angel food cake made almost all the time. Had some the other day and sure brought back the memories!

Comment

Working...
                                X