No announcement yet.

Have you ever ate something that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket (not BBQ) roast beef smothered in gravy. We got it once a week at the reform school I was sent to at 16 (I was a naughty boy haha). I only get it every couple of years now but its really good and reminds me of being happy even when in a bad place. It aint much but back then it was a luxury and that has stuck in my head, so when I eat it tastes' like a luxury food.

On that note the best tasting drink I ever had was hot nasty water in a paper cone during shakedown/shark attack first day of basic training in the late 90's. Back when they could still do water deprivation which looking back on it was really dumb. August 31st, what a month to start basic haha. It did not however retain any nostalgia for me.

Comment

Last year M.C. and I were driving back from DFW. We like to stop at the Smokestack restaurant in Thurber, but this time we decided to try the New York Hill restaurant on the other side of I-20. Long story short, the food there was decent, but not as good as the Smokestack. BUT, they served us some rolls that smelled just like the rolls my grandmother used to make all the time. We called them Mimi Rolls. They were the best ever. I took a bite of the roll at the restaurant, and it tasted exactly like Mimi Rolls too. My eyes instantly filled with tears. I couldn't help it. It just brought back all those great memories I had with Mimi around her dinner table all my life until 2010 when she passed at 99 years of age.

I've never had a bite of food hit me like that before, but it did. I miss Mimi a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mimi-X2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	26720247

Comment

Three things in life I would like to do again. The first is hug my mama's neck the second is eat her chicken and rice, the last is a big helping of her green rice dressing. I try to use her recipes but it's never the same. It does make me have good memories when I try.

Comment

Working...
        X