No announcement yet.

Have you ever ate something that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss my grandma's Crawfish Gumbo from South Louisiana. She and my grandfather have been gone for a while now, but every time my Aunt cooks some Gumbo, I remember the times I would try to hurt myself eating at her table.

Comment

"Sweet rice" as my (paternal) Grannie called it. I think the rice was boiled in milk and then she added sugar and cinnamon.

My other (maternal) Grannie always made me potato soup when I'd stay at her house because I was too drunk to go to home. She knew I was hung over and her potato soup was one of the best cures.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
        My dad served in Vietnam. According to him, they ate lots of SOS (biscuits and gravy). My sister and I loved it and he would always eat something else. Well my kids love it also and we eat the heck out of it. Every time we do, I think of Dad. He died when I was 12.

Brian
        My mom would make us SOS when I was in elementary school (70s) and her version was on toast...loved that stuff...and her fried taters...they got divorced when I was in the 5th grade but remember those were my favorites and haven't had her fried taters and SOS since...

Comment

Great thread!
          My momma made the best squirrel head dumplings. My wife has practiced making 'em for years, but she uses chicken... they ain't bad, but they're not the same...

Momma also made fabulous homemade buttermilk biscuits... My favorite meal of all time is still chicken-fried deer steak, sawmill gravy, mashed potatoes, and those homemade biscuits... In fact, that's what we had for Christmas dinner this year after several years straight of me doing a prime rib roast... think I enjoyed the deer steak 'n gravy more...

For dessert, momma made a bannana puddin' that had this meringue on top she baked in the oven... none of my family has been able to duplicate that since mom's been gone (2000).

Comment

Reading over some of my past threads, came across this one and thought I'd bring it back to life.

Smoked venison sausage brings me back to the days of dad and moms camp on the Neches River. Had many a cold boat rides down that river where we hunted.

Comment

My mother grew up in a house (Richmond, VA) where a full-time cook created all their meals so she never really learned how. Consequently my sisters and I grew up eating mostly bland casseroles. One of the things I loved about visiting my Dad's family in east Texas back in the 1960's was the food. My grandfather lived in Grapeland and had a big garden - I have vivid memories of my 3 aunts sitting on the porch gossiping and snapping beans. Beautiful tomatoes the likes of which I've never tasted since. I never got biscuits from scratch, gravy or homemade fried chicken back at home - this city boy ate like a pig whenever I was there! Papa put pepper sauce on everything. Not Tabasco but the green peppers in the clear bottle with the red cap. Always reminds me of him...

I have not eaten a Vienna sausage in decades but when I see them on the shelf I think of fishing trips with my dad when I was very young. His idea of lunch was a can of those, some Saltines and an apple.

Comment

Originally posted by JP Weld View Post
                Fried Chicken with grease gravy, corn, mashed tators, and pickled cucumbers! Grandma was the best!

Well that sure is a fancy way to type out pickles.

Comment

My wife will sometimes put in her crockpot a mess of fresh purple hull peas, some cut up new potatoes and a hunk of fatback. Then make cast iron skillet sweet cornbread. She heard me say once how my great grandmother would make that very meal (except use a pressure cooker instead of a crockpot) for my great grandpa, my cousin, and myself and then we would spend hours upon hours eating and playing "42"......those were awesome times and would give just about anything to go back to that dinner table, break out those bones and visit with Grandma and Grandpa Sjolander just one more time

Comment

Here a while back, I introduced my granddaughter to sugar sammiches. She was asking me what kinds of snacks and things I ate when I was a kid. These were something my mother had when she was a girl during the depression. Just a slice of bread with butter and sugar. Fold it up and down it goes. Oh the memories it brought back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                      Well that sure is a fancy way to type out pickles.
                      My MIL used to make pickled cucumbers and onions. She would slice them up in a bowl, pour vinegar over them and some black pepper. Let them sit in the fridge over night. Man those things were good.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        Here a while back, I introduced my granddaughter to sugar sammiches. She was asking me what kinds of snacks and things I ate when I was a kid. These were something my mother had when she was a girl during the depression. Just a slice of bread with butter and sugar. Fold it up and down it goes. Oh the memories it brought back.
                        I used to (and occaisionally still do) make those all the time.
                        Quick and easy for a burst of some energy...

Comment

Chili and deer hunting with Dad!

Comment

My moms baked bean recipe. We now make them every time we cook BBQ, which is often. My mom passed just over 2 years ago now - and I think of her every time we make these - or many of her other great recipes.

Comment

When we were kids, back in the 50s, my grandparents lived north of Edinburg. My grandfather had a clump of sugar cane that we would get to have a piece of once a year. They also had a date palm tree in the front yard. We loved those treats when ripe. I still love dates and chewing on a stalk of sugar cane, and they both bring me back to those simpler times.

Comment

Pot of fresh purple hull peas takes me right to my granny's house.

Comment

Working...
                                X