No announcement yet.

Pre-Rut Freestone County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. We've been at our place 18 years, but right on Fairfield Lake so maybe a little different. Our bucks don't come to feeders during the first rut. The 2nd rut we see more of them in common areas and sometimes at feeders. We didn't realize it was so early for a long time. We just assumed it was the acorns, but after talking to neighbors and others on here and other forums, we realized we were only seeing the 2nd rut and missing the first. They are more in the woods right now pushing does. It's probably a little different in different areas though. Ours starting sparring 2 weeks ago and pushing does, but not real hard. They are more serious now.
    Last edited by txhunter817; 10-17-2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Man last year as soon as November hit the deer stayed clear of the feeders. I had actual corn stalks growing in my pen by the end of the month. We were less than a mile from txhunter817 as the crow flies and our bucks never broke up from their bachelor groups. No doubt the rut was last week of October because I saw a ton of bucks that weekthat I never saw before, but our everyday bucks always seemed to be together all season long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Coffman we go through periods of corn build up too. It's probably the most frustrating part of where we hunt. 90% of out biggest bucks were killed during bow season up to opening weekend of gun season. After that odds are pretty slim for whatever reason. I'm not quite sure why, but that's been our results anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter817 View Post
          Coffman we go through periods of corn build up too. It's probably the most frustrating part of where we hunt. 90% of out biggest bucks were killed during bow season up to opening weekend of gun season. After that odds are pretty slim for whatever reason. I'm not quite sure why, but that's been our results anyway.

Yep. I had both our young big bucks dead to rights during bow season and saw them multiple times. During gun season we saw our 8 point maybe 3 times and never saw the 9 point again until after season. Crazy. Wish we had camera still there just so I could see what they look like this year.

Comment

We hardly ever see or kill good bucks until the last of bow season or beginning of gun.

Comment

I'm still seeing groups of bucks together, both on cameras and in person. No evidence of the rut yet...

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                We have A LOT of bucks on cameras, but 95% are at night. Not saying you won't see them during daylight but the last couple days have been slow. Moon phase and cool weather coming in should help over the next week or so. Buddies son shot a 140 last Saturday morning with Xbow, so even though you may not be seeing many deer during the day, they are still out there.
                I'm pretty sure you are referring to our neighbors, I don't know if it is Kosher to mention names, but are you talking about a high school age kid that shot a really tall 10 pt?

What area are you hunting? We just acquired our place last year. We're right off the county rd. on the left before you get to the mine rd. tunnel.

Yes we have been seeing bucks pushing basically since bow opener. Which seemed to be a couple weeks earlier than last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan M View Post
                  I'm pretty sure you are referring to our neighbors, I don't know if it is Kosher to mention names, but are you talking about a high school age kid that shot a really tall 10 pt?

What area are you hunting? We just acquired our place last year. We're right off the county rd. on the left before you get to the mine rd. tunnel.

Yes we have been seeing bucks pushing basically since bow opener. Which seemed to be a couple weeks earlier than last year.
                  Yes, it is your neighbor. He and I are really good friends and our kids go to school together.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16;11807s699
                    Yes, it is your neighbor. He and I are really good friends and our kids go to school together.
                    Small world, that was a nice deer! I didn't get a deer last year, as I am holding out for something nice like that and I won't kill anything younger than 5 1/2.
                    Last year in December/ January the mature bucks started frequenting the feeders again. If I'm not able to connect on anything soon, I'm thinking the end of the year will be my best bet. We are experimenting with food plots this year, although as luck would have it, as soon as we got the seed in the ground the rain that was forecasted never came and we haven't got 1/2" in about 30 days. Some is barely coming up and I see deer in the plot every hunt, just need the rain to cooperate now.
                    I may have met you once, is your son off to school in College Station now?

Comment

Ya, I met yall at the gate one day as we were going in to hunt and yes my son is at Aggie Land, think yall have shot emails back and forth talking about hunting and deer sightings over the last year or so. Food plots will be good, maybe this last little sprinkle of rain will help kick them off. There are some really good deer around that area and I know my buddy was thrilled once he got to meet yall and talk about hunting and management etc. Seems like everyone is on the same page and that will help a lot. That big 8 your dad shot last year was a pretty good deer. Hope you hammer a good one this year. I dont get out there to hunt that tract as much as we used to but when I do if yall are in camp I will stop by.

Comment

Was a pretty slow weekend with not a lot of sightings for me. Any one seeing strong rut activity?

Comment

Saw better rut activity the last week of October.

Comment

This weekend was pretty slow, but we are still seeing bucks coming through looking for does. The prior weekend was better for us too. The bucks and does are completely separated at our place. Every buck is alone right now just looking for does. That being said, I haven't seen anything to say it's the peak of the rut. There's rut activity, but I haven't seen the peak yet.

Comment

Sunday morning I saw a lone 3.5 yo 7pt out searching….so pretty slow.

Comment

On Saturday I had 2 barely legal bucks cruise by searching for does. Also had a group of 5 does come out and hang out for 15 minutes. No bucks were with them and the does seemed pretty calm so I am hopeful things pick up.

Comment

Working...
                                X