Pre-Rut Freestone County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Rut Freestone County

Went out pig hunting/deer scouting this past Saturday and Sunday evenings (son smoked a pig Saturday night with his Mission Craze) and saw several bucks already showing some pre-rut signs. We were hunting behing Fairfield Lake. Had 2 bucks get into a semi-serious fight last night and watched two make scrapes and get on a licking branch. The four bucks I watched last night were all 3/4 yr olds, and all 4 were upper 130's. Sure got me excited about this weekends opener. Anyone else seeing any pre-rut/rutting signs yet?

Too early for the rut... Usually the first part of nov.

Just now breaking up the bachelor groups.. With daylight decreasing, the summer patterns are over.

Comment

Last year the peak of the rut for Freestone County was the second week of October.

Comment

I have not hunted Freestone county in 10 years but prior to that I hunted it for 12 years. You are right about the rut. What most people call the rut is really the second rut. Stick an arroe in a good one and post pics.

-john

Comment

I saw 2 bucks fighting each other this weekend. I watched a mature 10 point harassing the does at the feeder, then proceeded to make a scrape. You are right about the rut. These deer will be full on in a few weeks.

Comment

Seems to be getting earlier and earlier in our area. Rut is always over by November around here it seems now days.

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
              Seems to be getting earlier and earlier in our area. Rut is always over by November around here it seems now days.
              Hope you catch up to old "Bobby Brow Tines" over at the Hill place. I would love to see you with an LDP of him.

Comment

Youth weekend was always the best weekend for us, lots of chasing and fighting.

Comment

last year they were full tilt by the second week of bow season on my place in freestone county. My step son killed one youth weekend that was ran ragged from rutting. He was running a doe when he got shot. I had scrapes and rubs the second week of bow season and chasing does.

Comment

Originally posted by DXTroughneck View Post
                    last year they were full tilt by the second week of bow season on my place in freestone county. My step son killed one youth weekend that was ran ragged from rutting. He was running a doe when he got shot. I had scrapes and rubs the second week of bow season and chasing does.
                    I agree. The gun hunters missed out on the best part of the season last year and from what I saw this past weekend it looks like the rut will be full swing by week two of bow season. Cant wait to be in the tree this Saturday...

Comment

I think it was way early last year in Llano. Seems to have happened sometime in late October.

Comment

The rut has no moved but in the past their were so many does that you did not see them chasing. Now with better management practices and a more balanced buck to doe ratio you are seeing what has been happening behind the scenes for a long time.

-john

Comment

I actually captured a fight on my game cam on 9-13 and have mutliple rubs around my setup that have popped up in the week or so.

Comment

here are the pics.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Bumping old thread, but I watched a very nice 8 point chase does this morning. I think the rut is on in Freestone. If it hasn't kicked off full swing yet, I bet it does in the next week or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X