Nilgai Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liven4TheHunt View Post
    How do they taste and please don't say like chicken.
    The meat has a slightly darker flavor than whitetail, but even the leg roasts are more tender than whitetail backstrap. It's so good that my 3yr old daughter prefers it over beef.

Comment

Man this is giving me the bug again! I hunted the Kenedy in 2009 and 2011, and haven't been since. I made 3 trips and hunted about 8 days before I got an old one in range. We sat at waterholes every time. I my experience that is one of the hardest animals in North America to get within bow range of, so spot and stalk was out of the question for what I was after. Waterholes in south Texas can be pretty entertaining with all the critters that come and go but man we sat some LONG hours.

On my last trip I drove 7 hours, got there at 10am and were building a blind at a pond an hour later. We set up and over the next 8 hrs I watched 4 different shooters come to water with cows but the closest shot I had was 64yds. It's really strange how they come in so cautious one step at a time but when they get to the pond they walk right out into the middle and chug away. That was more shooters than I had seen in all my other trips combined so no sleep for me again.

Wind stayed the same so back to same spot at daylight. Nothing for the first several hrs and was starting to think we were in for another long sit. We were eating lunch as quietly as possible When I looked out and saw a monster standing at the edge of the pond inside 30yds. For what seemed like forever, we just froze staring at him wondering how a 600lb animal can just appear out of nowhere. He went for the middle and as he did, I went for my bow and drew as I was lifting thinking he was going to get out of range. He was quartering away too hard but stopped at 44yds. I swear I held for a full min and just as I was about to let down he turned broadside. I let it fly and drilled that sucker. When he turned to run I could see blood spraying out both sides of him. He still ran over 300yds!! never seen anything like it!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Nilgai.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	24226716
      Truly a lifetime experience and some fine eatin' to go along with it! Thanks for reading!

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
        Mine from the King two years ago. It was a friends lease and he took myself and my son down there. He now leases 17K acres of a ranch south of Falfurias that has never been hunted and I am running it for him. The aerial survey showed 538 Nilgai on the 17K acres. I just got back from down there and saw thirty or so. Mostly cows and calves this trip but have seen as many as 30 bulls in a weekend earlier this year. Grat eating as I am sure you know. Can't wait for our facilities to get done so I can start harvesting these suckers. I am not messing with them until we get our winches/cooler/etc. completed which should be pretty quick.
        I need to use your facilities. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet because I've cleaned the last two my buddies have shot and don't really want to do it again. I saw 11 one day last year and didn't shoot. I'm off 285 next to the King. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375247311.566185.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24226719

This is the bull shot 3 years ago and the cow shot two seasons ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375247454.549257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24226720

Cow weighed 330 lbs, bull was way bigger my buddy and I couldn't even move it.

Comment

I dont know a bunch about them. I know my dad shot one along time ago at the king ranch.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            My feelings are truly hurt now!

Bisch
            You know I want to take you with me this year

We like to hunt water holes, trails , and dung piles. There's a dung pile waiting with your name on it Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              I need to use your facilities. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet because I've cleaned the last two my buddies have shot and don't really want to do it again. I saw 11 one day last year and didn't shoot. I'm off 285 next to the King. [ATTACH]525075[/ATTACH]

This is the bull shot 3 years ago and the cow shot two seasons ago.

[ATTACH]525076[/ATTACH]

Cow weighed 330 lbs, bull was way bigger my buddy and I couldn't even move it.
              Yep the Bull in my picture actually came off the Rincon pasture of the King right there on 285 just east of Riveria.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                Yep the Bull in my picture actually came off the Rincon pasture of the King right there on 285 just east of Riveria.
                That's what I love about our place. Never know what you will see come wandering through. The king has some awesome animals.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                  Man this is giving me the bug again! I hunted the Kenedy in 2009 and 2011, and haven't been since. I made 3 trips and hunted about 8 days before I got an old one in range. We sat at waterholes every time. I my experience that is one of the hardest animals in North America to get within bow range of, so spot and stalk was out of the question for what I was after. Waterholes in south Texas can be pretty entertaining with all the critters that come and go but man we sat some LONG hours.

On my last trip I drove 7 hours, got there at 10am and were building a blind at a pond an hour later. We set up and over the next 8 hrs I watched 4 different shooters come to water with cows but the closest shot I had was 64yds. It's really strange how they come in so cautious one step at a time but when they get to the pond they walk right out into the middle and chug away. That was more shooters than I had seen in all my other trips combined so no sleep for me again.

Wind stayed the same so back to same spot at daylight. Nothing for the first several hrs and was starting to think we were in for another long sit. We were eating lunch as quietly as possible When I looked out and saw a monster standing at the edge of the pond inside 30yds. For what seemed like forever, we just froze staring at him wondering how a 600lb animal can just appear out of nowhere. He went for the middle and as he did, I went for my bow and drew as I was lifting thinking he was going to get out of range. He was quartering away too hard but stopped at 44yds. I swear I held for a full min and just as I was about to let down he turned broadside. I let it fly and drilled that sucker. When he turned to run I could see blood spraying out both sides of him. He still ran over 300yds!! never seen anything like it!
                  [ATTACH]525071[/ATTACH]
                  Truly a lifetime experience and some fine eatin' to go along with it! Thanks for reading!

Now THAT is a big blue bull. Very Nice. I just sent in my applications for Laguna Atascosa, hoping to come back with a similar specimen

Comment

I have them on a ranch I have for sale in brooks county. the bulls are very good looking animals. Hopefully I will have a opportunity to hunt one in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaw15 View Post
                      Been on a huge Nilgai kick lately. Researching hunts, reading stories, looking at pics. Can't get enough. Hunted these critters as a kid on the La Parra division of the Kenedy Ranch, .
                      If you like to read, find a book called "if you love me you will do my will"

it tells the story of how the mission de oblates and the catholic church came to acquire the Main Part of the La Parra, and details the events surrounding Sarita East's death and the transfer of ownership of the ranch.

interesting read

Comment

Originally posted by tsaw15 View Post
                        Now THAT is a big blue bull. Very Nice. I just sent in my applications for Laguna Atascosa, hoping to come back with a similar specimen

Thanks I hope you do too! Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

ttt

Comment

Its that time of year again. Anybody know of any good deals on Nilgai hunts? I finally ran out of meat from my bull from two seasons ago. Looking to take one with a bow this time, possibly a cow as well.

Also- has anybody hunted nilgai on the King lately? Whats the rate these days?

Any info is appreciated!

Comment

Following, wanting to go on a blue bull hunt.

Comment

Shot this one on the el sauz a couple of years ago. Incredible hunt and stalk that started about 2 miles away and ended with a 400 yard shot. We closed the last 500 yards to get in position across a huge grass flat and just made one silhouette and started slowly approaching him. Being the peak of the rut, with the wind in our favor and the sun at our back I guess he just saw and outline and started approaching us. Around 400 yards he started flanking so I dropped the sticks and was able to get a shot through both lungs with the 300 Wby. We tracked him into some thick brush where we found him laying down and breathing heavy. As we approached he tried to get up and I shot him once more across the top of the shoulders to drop him and then an insurance shot to the neck. Loading that joker up with two people and no winch was quite the task. One of my favorite hunting memories.

Comment

Working...
                                X