No announcement yet.

Deer Dog Recoveries: 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH NO!!! What the heck happened? I am sooo sorry for your loss. I was loving the posts of the recoveries yall made that seemed like almost every day the start of this season. Again, I am sorry for your loss. I Have been there

Chris

Comment

Oh man, I really hate to hear that.I got shadow from the previous owners because she was a hell of a hand full, Botech08 got her from me after I worked with her for about 6 or 8 weeks weeks a couple of years back but I just knew she would be one hell of tracking dog but a handfull to keep. She had the drive from the get go. I was tickled when I saw that she found her first deer and have been following along. This is terrible news and if you saw in her half of what I did and her great personality, I can only imagine how you feel. Sorry for your loss Tex.

Comment

Dennis I am sorry to hear about Shadow. Prayers sent.

Comment

man that horrible, she was on pace for a really good yr....hate to hear it, i know how it feels though

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Chittum View Post
            Oh man, I really hate to hear that.I got shadow from the previous owners because she was a hell of a hand full, Botech08 got her from me after I worked with her for about 6 or 8 weeks weeks a couple of years back but I just knew she would be one hell of tracking dog but a handfull to keep. She had the drive from the get go. I was tickled when I saw that she found her first deer and have been following along. This is terrible news and if you saw in her half of what I did and her great personality, I can only imagine how you feel. Sorry for your loss Tex.
            Jerry told me that she had a lot of energy and she did. The first day we got her the kids and I played fetch with her for hours and she just kept going. That night she layed her head in my lap and went to sleep. I was hooked from then on. If she had never of found an animal for me she would have still been a great dog but her tracking abilities were outstanding.
            Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry that I can't go in to specifics but it is still very hard and the truth is I'm not 100% sure what happened.
            I have had dogs my whole life and never had one get killed, but this makes my second tracking dog that I have lost and it is almost more than I can bare. I will get another and I pray that I will have it for a long long time.

Comment

Sorry to hear.

Comment

That's terrible, they are like ones family and it's a tough loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                  Jerry told me that she had a lot of energy and she did. The first day we got her the kids and I played fetch with her for hours and she just kept going. That night she layed her head in my lap and went to sleep. I was hooked from then on. If she had never of found an animal for me she would have still been a great dog but her tracking abilities were outstanding.
                  Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry that I can't go in to specifics but it is still very hard and the truth is I'm not 100% sure what happened.
                  I have had dogs my whole life and never had one get killed, but this makes my second tracking dog that I have lost and it is almost more than I can bare. I will get another and I pray that I will have it for a long long time.
                  I know exactly what you are talking about with her she had those eyes and that personality. Prayers sent sir.....

Comment

Dang tex, sry to hear
                    Prayers sent
                    Shadow was having an awesome year for sure

Comment

So sorry to hear Tex. I lost Blue for over a week one time and thought he was gone. It was the most sick I have ever been over an animal.

Only time will heal...

Comment

Any other stories? Would like to get an account of how many deer/wild game are recovered by k-9's.

Comment

Tex first off sorry to hear about Shadow, i enjoyed reading your hunting and tracking stories you've shared with us.

I would like to add one track and recovery to the list. My Bmc/lacy mix who is a about a year and half old now just recovered his first deer of the season. He recovered every animal i was able to get him on last year except one buck that I believe he found but was still alive and he jumped. He was very young at the time. Well this past weekend was my first chance to get out bowhunting this year and I was ready. But, after getting to the lease and checking some stands I had two of the three feeders empty and one with a battery and timer on the ground from coons-- I actually killed one that I found in my pen with a rock that didnt get out quick enough. I didnt expect to see any animals at all or any shooters after seeing my setups, but I was there and I was going to hunt either way Im optimistic. I put out plenty of feed and saw some young bucks the first morning. Saturday evening was panning out to be about the same with temps getting into the low 90s, I got to stand at 430 pm sat in my ground blind sweating and dozing off. I awoke to here raking brush behind my stand and knew there was a buck close by. Finally, after 15 mins I here a deer jump into the pen. At that point I forgot about the heat and how tired I was from working all day, and after studying the 8 point for about 5 minutes I made the decision to take him as a management buck as he met our criteria on our lease. I drew back and made what appeared to be a perfect shot. The buck kicked and sped out of the pen running by me at about 8 yds. I could see my arrow laying on the ground and the blood covering it so I figured it would be a short easy track. I got out retrieved my arrow only to find it covered in blood and guts. I was shocked. I followed the trail a short distance and after finding some undigested stomach content I stopped, watched and listened I thought I heard a deer rustiling in the brush not far from where I was standing and decided its time to back out slow and not jump him up in case he was bedded right there. I didn't want to push him miles away. I know some paunch shot deer take a long time to expire it was dark, so I waited until the next morning to go look with my dog HOYT. I loaded the ranger strapped on the garmin astro and we were off. He gets super excited barking as soon as he is crated. Upon arrival to the stand it took him a couple of minutes of running circles before he slowed down and put his nose on the ground and headed across a creek and up a steep ridge. Right then I my hopes dropped seeing him go up hill but, I watched him work from a distance and when he stayed on a trail I decided to follow and quickly saw blood across rocks then an area the deer must have stopped as there was a good puddle of blood in a thicket, but the deer kept heading up hill. I followed along not seeing much but a small drop of blood every 10-20yds. Hoyt kept uphill but then cut to the right down a trail that I didnt see any sign on so I stood there watching him after a short distance and a quick circle down wind he was on my buck and he let out a couple victory bayes like usual when he finds what he is looking for. I got most of the track on video as I was wearing my Go pro camera. So after finishing up at the lease I was able to top a good weekend of hunting with a trip to Seaworld with the family. It doesn't get much better than that!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear the news Tex. Jerry told me Sunday. I am truly sad for you and your family.

Comment

introduce my lacy rein i got from a fellow tbhr

Hope to get her on some tracks this year. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...1&d=1350353150
                              Attached Files

Comment

I took my 3 year old Lacy to Homer Martins Ranch last week. We put him on 7 deer and he recovered 6, the 7th one was not a kill shot and no buzzrds have been seen.
                                That makes a total of 7 out of 8 for him this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X