Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for an overhead hoist/winch in a shop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240509_215921_Sketchbook.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	26788485 I would have made the truss a little more trussy. Oh...and you spelled injunear rong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Got that drill stem beefed up today. I just got to figure out whether I'm just going to mount the hoist/winch right in the middle or rig up some kind of trolley system. Do y'all know if unistrut could be mounted to the bottom of that pipe for a trolley?
      Are you thinking a unistrut trolley like this?

Should work, just have to make sure you limit your amount of lifted weight. A 2,800 lb lifting capacity on the trolley should be plenty for what you could think of doing out there (within reason).
      Shop looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240509_215921_Sketchbook.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	26788485 I would have made the truss a little more trussy. Oh...and you spelled injunear rong.
        Yep, there's a reason trusses are triangle based... All those straight rods pipe to pipe are good for straight pulls, but put a little wonk in a lift and there could be "issues", but then again... well, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Yep, there's a reason trusses are triangle based... All those straight rods pipe to pipe are good for straight pulls, but put a little wonk in a lift and there could be "issues", but then again... well, you know...
          Trusses are triangle based because triangles make better use of a given material's strength via compression/tension, as opposed to the side load on the material on a rectangle. It has nothing to do with the direction of the load applied.

I'd have done it differently as well, Bobby...but it's twice as strong as it was, and that'll be plenty for the hoists you're looking at. If you want to be able to move it, just get one with a hook, and build a chain loop you can slide along the truss and hook the hoist to.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

I might know... I do make a living pretending to anyway.

Comment

Once again for the experts, this was a free welding job and I don't weld. Most of you have answered my original question at the top and the follow-up questions in the middle. Thanks for those that answered my questions and didn't tell me how they would redo everything with their own budget and shop.
              Last edited by Chew; 05-10-2024, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Build you a chain loop that will go around both pieces of drill stem and hang down just enough for your hoist hook. Then it will slide 1/2 the width of your shop. Better yet, build two, and have one on each side of that upright.

Just need some chain and an H link. They also have the stuff you need at Northern Tool, if you pass one of those.

Link to the link...
                https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Chain-Repair-Clevis-Working/dp/B09MZQJ72T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2QI912VDHWJ11&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.THI aeELqt3B8hXxtxUYDI11_NcycLUkvmhyp4j67hM2gA_WOn1OmU JxdxAoz1ZPtBjR2thtzQTdOo2qQ3hgdrSdlfI4ItYhlZ-I0aYFT9cYKaDA712Hndvs6wVFj9pLvv6-gsldAqx-ciJTsJ_YfcFtWtcM62_NK36yjziU_1gzdNRx3JtVoJxgautFE3 kSQvwkhDX-6MBCNU9ASqO84H7oYTPznWyg_7qh0JYaX3kg.8twvdHx6p1ZUr IfjHiJ-7X2NWbJy1y5-hQoioCt_45k&dib_tag=se&keywords=double%2Bclevis%2B link%2B3%2F8&qid=1715367970&sprefix=double%2Bclevi s%2B%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-4&th=1

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Build you a chain loop that will go around both pieces of drill stem and hang down just enough for your hoist hook. Then it will slide 1/2 the width of your shop. Better yet, build two, and have one on each side of that upright.

Just need some chain and an H link. They also have the stuff you need at Northern Tool, if you pass one of those.

Link to the link...
                  https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Chain-Repair-Clevis-Working/dp/B09MZQJ72T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2QI912VDHWJ11&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.THI aeELqt3B8hXxtxUYDI11_NcycLUkvmhyp4j67hM2gA_WOn1OmU JxdxAoz1ZPtBjR2thtzQTdOo2qQ3hgdrSdlfI4ItYhlZ-I0aYFT9cYKaDA712Hndvs6wVFj9pLvv6-gsldAqx-ciJTsJ_YfcFtWtcM62_NK36yjziU_1gzdNRx3JtVoJxgautFE3 kSQvwkhDX-6MBCNU9ASqO84H7oYTPznWyg_7qh0JYaX3kg.8twvdHx6p1ZUr IfjHiJ-7X2NWbJy1y5-hQoioCt_45k&dib_tag=se&keywords=double%2Bclevis%2B link%2B3%2F8&qid=1715367970&sprefix=double%2Bclevi s%2B%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-4&th=1
                  Stop making suggestions that are not within his free welding job budget.

Comment

I got enough crap in the "stuff bin", the "parts drawer", and the "I might need that for something, pile", to complete this project for free....after about $900 worth of shipping.

Comment

Stop making suggestions that are not within his free welding job budget.
                      Yeah you're right I should get the guy to come grind All that stuff off and reweld everything. That makes a lot more sense. Glad you caught it when you did!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

Yeah you're right I should get the guy to come grind All that stuff off and reweld everything. That makes a lot more sense. Glad you caught it when you did!
                        No problem. Just here to help.

Do me a favor though, when you lift something with it, tell you wife a any kids that might be around, to stand back, just in case.

Comment

No problem. Just here to help.

Do me a favor though, when you lift something with it, tell you wife a any kids that might be around, to stand back, just in case.
                          My deer and hogs don't eat protein so it should be good

Comment

When this thread is complete Bobby let me know. I need to know how to skin a roadkill squirrel but don’t want to walk on your thread.😎😎

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              When this thread is complete Bobby let me know. I need to know how to skin a roadkill squirrel but don’t want to walk on your thread.😎😎
                              Let me know what recipe you come up with GM. I've had lots of experience with salvaging road kill when I was younger. I was so poor, it supplemented our grocery bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

Let me know what recipe you come up with GM. I've had lots of experience with salvaging road kill when I was younger. I was so poor, it supplemented our grocery bill.
                                Will do Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X