Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for an overhead hoist/winch in a shop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I did Bobby. Cut some unistrut to fit between the gable iron and hang it where ever you want to. No welding necessary.
    Attached Files

Comment

A jib would sure serve you a lot better...

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        This is what I did Bobby. Cut some unistrut to fit between the gable iron and hang it where ever you want to. No welding necessary.
        That works for the 440 pound lift capacity, but would be stretching it a bit for one of those 1500/2000+ lifts... Also, that's good for a straight lift, but hanging a deer/hog there and pulling on it/skinning it, I'd have that uni-strut tied down some way so it can't slide... There'd be a little welding if I did that.

Comment

[QUOTE=SaltwaterSlick;n26780878]

That works for the 440 pound lift capacity, but would be stretching it a bit for one of those 1500/2000+ lifts... Also, that's good for a straight lift, but hanging a deer/hog there and pulling on it/skinning it, I'd have that uni-strut tied down some way so it can't slide... There'd be a little welding if I did that.[/QUOTE

True. This is light duty only. And I always wear my hard hat.😎😎

Comment

Pardon the dwg but.
            I did similar to Gumb o.I put a 1"sq tubing into the c-purlin, then 2"Sq where he has uni-strut. Uni-strut is prob fine. Even a tek scew into the 1" will keep it from sliding around.
            Heck drill a few holes in the bottom chord of the purlin and pin it to different positions that you want/need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	180
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	26780899

Comment

Be careful modifying those purlins... They're made out of minimal thickness/strength material. They get their strength/load-bearing capabilities from their shape...
              Bobby, you have a lot more flexibility with mods to that drill stem than the purlins/structure of the building frame...

Comment

I was wondering about the structural strength. From the pictures, it looks like the most it could lift would be wild game. Not sure I would lift anything heavier.

Would this be wrong? Should this setup be able to lift much heavier loads?

J

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  A jib would sure serve you a lot better...
                  Dang. And I just got back from the jib store over on Engineer Rd. Shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

Dang. And I just got back from the jib store over on Engineer Rd. Shoot.
                    Errbody loves a smart arse...

Comment

Engineers always forget that errrrrybody ain't a engineer.

But I appreciate all the info.

I've got several options on winches/hoists to look at. Thanks!

Comment

I’ve got a jib that would work great for what you’re wanting . Would F R E E work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                          I’ve got a jib that would work great for what you’re wanting . Would F R E E work for you?
                          Don't do that Wick! Make him go the the dang JIB store to get it!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Don't do that Wick! Make him go the the dang JIB store to get it!!
                            Some “ engineering” May be involved on this little project

Comment

This will work fine for your 440 lb hoist, but screw those cross pieces to the purlin. My dad used this same setup to raise a big header into place in his shop. I don't know what it weighed but it was a double 2X12 header with 1/8" plate steel sandwiched between them the full length, it weighed over 500lbs I'd bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                                I'm not working on a sailboat. That's the only jib I know about (sail).

Comment

Working...
                                X