No announcement yet.

Anyone here deal with Tinnitus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do hearing aids work for this? I've always just lived with a slight loss of hearing and the constant ringing. But since retiring and out of the shop, I'm kind of having to learn to live with the ringing all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      So do hearing aids work for this? I've always just lived with a slight loss of hearing and the constant ringing. But since retiring and out of the shop, I'm kind of having to learn to live with the ringing all over again.
      Hearing aids do not “treat” tinnitus but because they amplify sounds as programmed based on your hearing test, they may be of help. I’m sitting here with my aids in and on and still hear the tinnitus tones. The aids can help by amplifying the frequencies where your hearing is worst but they can’t turn down or tune out the tinnitus.

There are treatments for tinnitus I’ve heard but I’ve not had them nor am I familiar with them other than they are dependent on the cause of the tinnitus. Google tinnitus treatment and go read the Mayo Clinic link.
      Last edited by dustoffer; 04-28-2024, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Duplicate post.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

Hearing aids do not “treat” tinnitus but because they amplify sounds as programmed based on your hearing test, they may be of help. I’m sitting here with my aids in and on and still hear the tinnitus tones. The aids can help by amplifying the frequencies where your hearing is worst but they can’t turn down or tune out the tinnitus.

There are treatments for tinnitus I’ve heard but I’ve not had them nor am I familiar with them other than they are dependent on the cause of the tinnitus. Google tinnitus treatment and go read the Mayo Clinic link.
          Thanks. Without the noise of the shop all day, it's like starting over again.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post

The way I describe mine is crickets in my ears (a little louder in the left) 24/7 365. At 45 I could no longer take it and I went to the ENT for help. What I was told was tinnitus was caused by my hearing loss and my brain telling my ears to “try harder”causing the constant ring. They also shared that stress will elevate it and I have found that to be absolutely true which is what made it unbearable in my mid 40s. They let me demo some aids for two weeks and it was almost instant that they gave me relief and stopped the crickets. Im ashamed to say that I was not quite ready to wear hearing aids in my 40s nor did I want to spend several thousands of dollars on something I wouldn’t wear so I did not purchase them.
            In hindsight I should have bought a cheaper option to wear around the house or those quiet settings but I haven’t. I have tried noise canceling options on flights for other reasons but all I heard was crickets so I have gone back to earbuds.
            I have learned in those stressful weeks/months similar to how repair my truck I turn the music up a bit. If I am doing something that is a little to quiet and the crickets are out in force I will go get a portable speaker to take my mind off of it. Im certain I will purchase some aids at some point but I wasn’t ready just yet.
            I oonly have it in one ear, and mine sounds kinda like muffled crickets too. Also, certain sound frequencies are distorted in that same ear, where they have a louder than normal metallic sound.

In my younger days I knew loud noises could cause hearing loss, kinda wish those smarter than me would have explained that there are things worse than your hearing fading into silence as you age.​

Comment

Originally posted by Chasin Bacon View Post

I oonly have it in one ear, and mine sounds kinda like muffled crickets too. Also, certain sound frequencies are distorted in that same ear, where they have a louder than normal metallic sound.

In my younger days I knew loud noises could cause hearing loss, kinda wish those smarter than me would have explained that there are things worse than your hearing fading into silence as you age.​
              Concerts and youth bands--BAD!!! The standard is no more than 85dB for each 8-hr day to avoid loss. But, it the noise is 140dB as it can be at concerts or NASCAR races safe exposure is far far less. And, impulse noises--guns, explosions, can only take a single exposure.

Comment

Working...
              X