No announcement yet.

Safety switch jumper help .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	Switches.png Views:	0 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	26755184 Since I don't do ACAD anymore. Maybe this will work.

Shows how jumping solenoid doesn't mean bad solenoid. It just takes the safety switches out of the equation.

Comment

Turn the switch on and find the hot wire. To do this, put your volt/ohm meter on DC voltage and place or clamp the black wire to the frame of the mower. Use the red probe and touch each of the four wire (with the plug inserted into its' mate. My guess is that the hot wire will be the black or blue wires. Once you find the hot wire, turn off the switch and unplug the two halves of the connector. Switch your meter to ohms and use the red probe on the six wire that you know are not hot to see if there is continuity to ground. My guess is once again that the black or blue will be ground. Next, remove the black probe from the frame and check for continuity in the orange wires in each connector. I'm thinking that one half will show continuity and the other half will be open. The half that is open will be the circuit with the faulty safety switch. Put a jumper wire between the two orange wires on the other connector and see if the starter will crank the engine. I only mention finding the hot and ground so that you know to avoid jumpering the hot to ground. Logic tells me that the orange is the safety circuit that has an open safety switch. I'm hoping that one plug contains the beginning of the safety lock-out loop and the other is connected to the starting and ignition circuits. Shorting across those two wires will allow the mower to run. The next step is to find which safety switch does not have continuity. I wired across the seat switch and left the blade (pto) switch in the circuit on my mower. You be the judge about what to wire around and what to leave functional. Simply wiring around all of the safety switches is foolish but understandable if you have to get a job done right away.

Comment

I put a jumper on mine and it worked right off the bat. I can check it when I get home and see if its the same. As mentioned in another post, I have two more switches with a plunger on them thats connected to the steering arms. I did have one of those get filled with dust and dirt that acted up once.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post

It won’t even attempt to start . No solenoid clicking, or anything . Pretty sure it’s a safety switch holding it out . It’s not the battery .

Had the same problem with my Hustler recently and it turned out to be the ignition switch.

Comment

Which safety switch is it? Is it the seat switch, brake switch, cutting switch?

Comment

You probably have already thought of this but I once could not get my zero turn to start and thought it was a faulty safety switch under the seat. After messing with it for a good while I figured out it was a safety switch on the lap bars. Some debris had collected down in there so the safety switch wouldn't engage when the lap bars were in the neutral position.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Which safety switch is it? Is it the seat switch, brake switch, cutting switch?
                It’s the steering arms .

Comment

Make sure the blades aren’t engaged. Have to “fix” that one at my house a few times a summer when the mower won’t do anything.

Comment

I used to fight with the PTO pull switch as well as the handle safety switches on mine. Whenever it wouldn't start, I would just jiggle each one individually while trying to start until I figured out which one it was. Takes a few minutes sometimes. On mine, the steering handle switches would need to be cleaned fairly often. With all those wires, I'm guessing that plug goes to the PTO switch?

Comment

Maybe obvious, but have you tried Googling <Make Model riding mower safety switch will not start how to fix video>?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        I used to fight with the PTO pull switch as well as the handle safety switches on mine. Whenever it wouldn't start, I would just jiggle each one individually while trying to start until I figured out which one it was. Takes a few minutes sometimes. On mine, the steering handle switches would need to be cleaned fairly often. With all those wires, I'm guessing that plug goes to the PTO switch?
                        It’s on the steering arms . I have never seen one with 5 wires before . My Bad Boy had a simple 2 wire switches . Was easy to jump them out .

Comment

Probably just “chained” together to the next switch down the line

Comment

On my hustler mower, there is also a main fuse that if blown will cause the same.

Comment

I'm sure you've checked it already but we went through the same hell with our John Deere riding lawn mower checking everything and it ended up being a little 20 amp fuse

Comment

i had an constant issue with the parking break safety switch on my Kubota Zero turn. Jumping it wasn't an option because the switch had to be activated to start the engine yet de-activated before you could engage the PTO, my solution was a toggle switch so I could activate / de-activate at will.

Comment

Working...
                                X