Safety switch jumper help .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety switch jumper help .

Safety switch jumper help . Working on a zero turn and it’s got me aggravated. I’m pretty sure it’s a safety switch issue . Want to bypass the switches do see it’s the problem instead of just throwing parts at it . How do I bypass this type of switch ?
    Attached Files

I maybe wrong but it probably takes the electrical schematic for the machine.

Comment

You can figure it out with an ohm meter on the switch. Where is and isn't continuity with the switch activated. What is going on with the mower, problem???

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        You can figure it out with an ohm meter on the switch. Where is and isn't continuity with the switch activated. What is going on with the mower, problem???
        It won’t even attempt to start . No solenoid clicking, or anything . Pretty sure it’s a safety switch holding it out . It’s not the battery .

Comment

Can you short it out across the solenoid to see if the motor will turn over?

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
            I maybe wrong but it probably takes the electrical schematic for the machine.
            This is probably your best avenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
              Try this and make sure you have 12plus volts at the solenoid.

Comment

Those all come off of the 12v wire from the key to the solenoid. They break the start circuit that activates the solenoid. Safety switches are probably located at the parking brake, and the steering arms (both have switches), as well as under the seat.
                Use a test light from the solenoid (key)trigger wire and test the switch. it should come on when safety switch if pushed. Jump as needed to keep test light on.

Comment

Try bypassing each safety switch one at a time. You can probably jumper a battery hot to the power up the starter selonid. That will check your selonid, starter, and battery connections. Just bump it to check. I personally would jumper each safety switch to find the the one that is bad.

Comment

Knowing nothing about zero turn mowers, let me make an educated guess. 2 of those wire are connected to whatever is the safety mechanism- I'm guessing a switch under the seat so it only runs when you're sitting on it? Find those 2 wires and short them,

Or, based on my ancient Craftsman riding mower, check the mechanical adjustment of where the switch is under the seat. If it's moved when you sit on it you don't press the switch far enough, make the electrical contact and the durn thing will not run.

Best ideas I have.

Comment

I think....On the arms, the safety only has to be pressed to start, when the arms are open/out. Then when the arms are down to steer the switch is let off.
                      Jumping (permanently) won't help that. But you could rewire it somehow. Maybe put a momentary switch up on the key panel or something. Or relocate/re-wire them together and place one of those switches up to the panel.

Comment

Don't go jumping those safety switch wires nilly willy. some safety switches don't complete the hot circuit but rather ground out the kill circuit when closed.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	26755133 Here’s how I did it on my Kubota tractor. I have a button switch inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                            Try this first, that what was wrong with my zero turn. The solenoids are cheap made for them, but cost a lot to buy.

Comment

It can start by jumping across the solenoid. That (jumping solenoid) just by-passes the safety switches. This doesn't necessarily mean the solenoid is bad.

The solenoid will not get the 12v needed to close the contacts (from the key/wire) if the safety circuit is not completed by the switches.

Comment

Working...
                              X