No announcement yet.

Calling All Spring Turkey Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I not a Turkey hunter but I am considering leasing my personal ranch near Lake Brownwood for spring Turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by crowmagnum View Post
      I not a Turkey hunter but I am considering leasing my personal ranch near Lake Brownwood for spring Turkey.
      Please send me a PM with info on your place. I'm interested in leasing more places to turkey hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz09 View Post

As an avid spring turkey hunter I agree. I started this post to see if other hunters on TBH had a similar experience in the south zone and so far they did. The title of this post is "Spring Turkey Hunters" If you are not then you may not fully understand how much fun it is to call in an old Tom Turkey. It's a cat & mouse game. Very similar to elk during the rut.

I hunt on my place SW of San Angelo for deer and turkey, we don't kill jakes because we value them as next years 2 year old toms.

I also guide turkey hunters in S Texas. We don't shoot jakes there for the same reason.

It comes down to what you want and value in a hunt, to each their own and have fun.

My 2 cents.
        I was down to the 09 on March 10, the Toms were already cranked up with Hens strutting and gobbling.

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
          I was down to the 09 on March 10, the Toms were already cranked up with Hens strutting and gobbling.
          Thats good news!!! Thanks. I won't be headed there until the 9th or 10th. Have easter this weekend and headed back to George west to guide again at the same ranch. I do have some of our guys going to the 09 tomorrow and will get a report from them.

What pastures are you on chillymac ?

Comment

If you have FB enjoy

Comment

We are overloaded in McMullen as well, I was ready to kill them all at end of deer season (kept running the deer off). 30 plus birds every sit, if only I was a turkey hunter

Comment

Tankersly and Davis, northest corner of ranch, ESP's old spot. I think we are just north of AC
                Last edited by chillymac; 03-28-2024, 07:53 PM.

Comment

That was supposed to be beards, go back and read.
                  Got it!

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                    We are overloaded in McMullen as well, I was ready to kill them all at end of deer season (kept running the deer off). 30 plus birds every sit, if only I was a turkey hunter
                    Have shotgun will travel😬

it’s a ball way better than feeder deer hunting

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
                      Tankersly and Davis, northest corner of ranch, ESP's old spot. I think we are just north of AC
                      You are north of our North pasture.

Comment

Any turkey that makes it out of the nest, through the first 21 days of flightlessness and makes it a full year is a trophy.

The argument could be made that shooting the biggest strutter is worse for the population than shooting a Jake.

Hens getting bred is not the limiting factor for turkeys in Texas. Poor habitat is. The best thing to do for the bird is not to pass on a jake. It is to manage your habitat.

Comment

Thats good news!!! Thanks. I won't be headed there until the 9th or 10th. Have easter this weekend and headed back to George west to guide again at the same ranch. I do have some of our guys going to the 09 tomorrow and will get a report from them.

What pastures are you on chillymac ?
                          Sale hunts out of George West? Ranch name/outfitter?

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post

Sale hunts out of George West? Ranch name/outfitter?
                            Its not an outfitter. It's 3 private ranches. Friends, family and clients. The owners higher some friends of mine and myself to guide. I've been guiding down there 11 years.

Comment

Working...
                            X