Calling All Spring Turkey Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling All Spring Turkey Hunters

I spent 9 days down in S Texas, (George West) for the South zone opener. We hunted 2 ranches and saw an unbelievable number of Jakes. Flocks of 8-10 jakes on a hunt. I saw a total of 18 on one morning hunt. Having a great hatch is good but the flocks of "super jakes" are not. (We don't shoot jakes as a rule). The mature gobblers were there but we had a hard time locating them because they were alone or with a hen or 2 off in the brush The best we can tell is the Gobblers were tired of being harassed by all the jakes and would stay away. Made for an interesting hunt, we still killed some gobblers. Had to change up tactics though.
    A friend hunted the Berclair- Goliad area and had the same experience.

Anyone else see this??

Yes sir. Everywhere I've been in Victoria, Goliad, Dewitt county the same. Hunted James Daughrey last week and called in 10 jakes over 2 sits. My buddy down in Freer for opener said was covered in jakes too.

Comment

It’ll just just be awesome next year!

Comment

I went to Kansas last year and that was my case then. In fact, that’s all I saw over 3 days. I even roosted a bird, thinking it was a good Tom, set up on him that next morning and was disappointed when I saw him fly down, only being a Jake. He even had 2 hens with him. Hoping to get back up there this year and try my luck again!!

Comment

we're in central Texas and I worried by the time we can start hunting the gobblers will be done, not chasing as much anymore. It seems like they started about a month early here.

Comment

My guy is sending feeder pictures of a lot of mature birds. Guess we will see...

Comment

I got a bunch of Jakes too. I'm sure I will see some Toms but I may just have to get one of those younguns if that is all I see and can call in. Lease trip costs too much to come home empty handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                My guy is sending feeder pictures of a lot of mature birds. Guess we will see...
                Where are you hunting

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                  I got a bunch of Jakes too. I'm sure I will see some Toms but I may just have to get one of those younguns if that is all I see and can call in. Lease trip costs too much to come home empty handed.
                  Are you hunting Hill country?

Comment

No doubt too many Toms get shot in numerous areas of Texas. Too many view them as "corn robbers". A "corn robber" is a coon which eats turkey eggs

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      I went to Kansas last year and that was my case then. In fact, that’s all I saw over 3 days. I even roosted a bird, thinking it was a good Tom, set up on him that next morning and was disappointed when I saw him fly down, only being a Jake. He even had 2 hens with him. Hoping to get back up there this year and try my luck again!!
                      Did you draw a tag?

Comment

We had the jakes last year, more mature birds here in Menard County this year. It has really greened up the last few days so the hens should start cycling really soon. The first bluebonnets showed up around here yesterday and was 36 this morning.
                        Good luck to all the turkey hunters out there.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

I'm headed to Llano April 7 for the Eclipse and for a couple of sits. Really hoping to get a gobbler. I have an Osceola already and have trips for a Rio, Eastern, Merriam's and Gould's planned. With a little luck, I may get a slam.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz09 View Post

Are you hunting Hill country?
                            Out west in Runnels.

Comment

We are having a hard time getting the bigger birds in bc the jakes are running them off. We also have several "gangs" roaming. They are fun to mess with for a while then it gets old.

Comment

Working...
                              X