2024 College Baseball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cehorn View Post

I'm not connected in any way but hearing some things about this guy. I won't provide his name since I don't know any more than the next guy but here is his resume:
    • 13 Years as a college baseball Head Coach (multiple schools)
    • 493-268 (.648) Record
    • Conference Champion 7 times
    • Made Regionals every year except 1 (11 times)
    • Made Super Regionals 4 times
    • Made Omaha 3 times
    • Conference Coach of the year 6 times
    • Baseball America Coach of the year once
    I'm not sure I have seen a better resume....​
    No championships, ****** off his donors, runs off his coaches and sucks as a pitching coach..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

I would rather not say, for a few reasons. I also think it’s pretty pointless to speculate this early anyway.

Edit to add: Also because I won’t pretend to have any more credible info than anyone else might.
      Shares a name with a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Shares a name with a candy bar.

Babe Ruth? Freaking awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

No championships, ****** off his donors, runs off his coaches and sucks as a pitching coach..
          You aren't wrong. I just haven't seen a legitimate candidate with a better resume. As Trump would say the solution can't be worse than the problem and Joe Torre isn't walking thru the door. Resume isn't the end all be all but if you put a pile of legitimate resumes in front of the AD with no names and this resume is in it what does AD do? Or if UT hired this resume away from Tech or Ok St or someplace like that vs already being in the dugout would you be happy?

I just have a hard time holding anything for this year against him given the hand he was dealt this year.
          • LBJ not being LBJ - is that his fault as pitching coach or was the pressure just too much for the kid or is he just not good once the scouting report got out
          • Witt not being able to contribute - is that his fault as pitching coach or is it just what it is? Either way that is removing the Friday and Saturday starters from the pre season plan not to mention how much of the NIL allotment were for these 2 guys with virtually zero return?
          • Closer needing TJ before the season even starts - is that his fault as pitching coach or is it just what it is? Either way, how many games would have been different with projected Friday and Saturday starters giving you 6, Dre giving you the 7th, Boehm giving you the 8th and then a shut down closer? I can think of quite a few. And then add in at least 1 of the starters, say Whitehead as long relief or out of the bullpen and how different is the season?
          • Shaw not recovering from injury - is that his fault as pitching coach or is it just what it is? Either way Shaw went from a .195 against to a .275 against since last year.
          • Every other portal pitcher getting hurt - is that his fault as pitching coach, is that his fault as head coach for bad takes, or is it just what it is? Either way, if 1 or 2 of those guys provide a little depth to what is already mentioned above how different is the season?
          • Big kid from Duke decides to hang them up - is that his fault as head coach for a bad take? This was a middle of the lineup switch hitter that would have gotten ride of most of the players rotating this year - Thomas plays every inning in center, Gasparino gets brought along more slowly and/or gets Porter Brown out of the lineup sooner, below Mendoza O' Dowd gets 1/10 of the playing time this year, etc.
          • Portal in general provided absolutely nothing - again, how much of that is his fault vs just bad luck with injuries, head cases, etc.
          • Porter Brown going from .323 and 12 dongs to batting .213 with 8 dongs. is that his fault as head coach or the player who is now a redshirt Senior?
          Most of these are pitching and most are injury related. How much of that injury/rehab/recovery is the fault of the pitching coach is debatable but that is a tough hand for any coach dealing with 11.7 (Vandy coach doesn't currently deal with 11.7 by the way). While the majority of that list may be his fault, I can't blame it all on him.

Comment

Tim Corbin

5 trips to Omaha
            2 national championships

Comment

Tim Corbin

5 trips to Omaha
              2 national championships
              He ain't leaving. He's not playing with the same parameters everyone else is even in the NIL world.

Comment

Tim Corbin

5 trips to Omaha
                2 national championships
                Based on that resume alone, lets do it. But I don't consider him a legitimate candidate.

First he is 62 so how much gas is left in the tank? Second, why would he leave a school where he has a scholarship advantage (every player gets a full ride from the private school via an endowment) to have to worry about and compete with 11.7? And if you remove that advantage is there any proof he would have the same success? NIL would make up for some of that I guess, but I don't see any way he would leave, even to a school like Texas. Maybe I'm 100% wrong but I don't consider him a legitimate candidate. Also of note, Pierce currently makes $1.2M per year and Corbin currently makes over $2.4 as the highest paid baseball coach in college baseball. So, Texas would have to more than double what they are paying Pierce to get him to even think about considering going to a public school with scholarship limitations, etc.

Edit, just looked it up and Corbin makes over $800k more than the second highest paid coach at least based on 2023 numbers. So if Texas, or any other school for that matter, was going to give him a raise to bring him on the raise would likely mean the new guy is making over $1M more than the next highest paid guy. That sounds like a Jimbo deal on steroids....and we know how that turned out....
                Last edited by cehorn; 05-23-2024, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Based on that resume alone, lets do it. But I don't consider him a legitimate candidate.

First he is 62 so how much gas is left in the tank? Second, why would he leave a school where he has a scholarship advantage (every player gets a full ride from the private school via an endowment) to have to worry about and compete with 11.7? And if you remove that advantage is there any proof he would have the same success? NIL would make up for some of that I guess, but I don't see any way he would leave, even to a school like Texas. Maybe I'm 100% wrong but I don't consider him a legitimate candidate. Also of note, Pierce currently makes $1.2M per year and Corbin currently makes over $2.4 as the highest paid baseball coach in college baseball. So, Texas would have to more than double what they are paying Pierce to get him to even think about considering going to a public school with scholarship limitations, etc.
                  Yep. And he's not a huge proponent of NIL to begin with

Comment

You aren't wrong. I just haven't seen a legitimate candidate with a better resume. As Trump would say the solution can't be worse than the problem and Joe Torre isn't walking thru the door. Resume isn't the end all be all but if you put a pile of legitimate resumes in front of the AD with no names and this resume is in it what does AD do? Or if UT hired this resume away from Tech or Ok St or someplace like that vs already being in the dugout would you be happy?

I just have a hard time holding anything for this year against him given the hand he was dealt this year.
                    • LBJ not being LBJ - is that his fault as pitching coach or was the pressure just too much for the kid or is he just not good once the scouting report got out
                    • Witt not being able to contribute - is that his fault as pitching coach or is it just what it is? Either way that is removing the Friday and Saturday starters from the pre season plan not to mention how much of the NIL allotment were for these 2 guys with virtually zero return?
                    • Closer needing TJ before the season even starts - is that his fault as pitching coach or is it just what it is? Either way, how many games would have been different with projected Friday and Saturday starters giving you 6, Dre giving you the 7th, Boehm giving you the 8th and then a shut down closer? I can think of quite a few. And then add in at least 1 of the starters, say Whitehead as long relief or out of the bullpen and how different is the season?
                    • Shaw not recovering from injury - is that his fault as pitching coach or is it just what it is? Either way Shaw went from a .195 against to a .275 against since last year.
                    • Every other portal pitcher getting hurt - is that his fault as pitching coach, is that his fault as head coach for bad takes, or is it just what it is? Either way, if 1 or 2 of those guys provide a little depth to what is already mentioned above how different is the season?
                    • Big kid from Duke decides to hang them up - is that his fault as head coach for a bad take? This was a middle of the lineup switch hitter that would have gotten ride of most of the players rotating this year - Thomas plays every inning in center, Gasparino gets brought along more slowly and/or gets Porter Brown out of the lineup sooner, below Mendoza O' Dowd gets 1/10 of the playing time this year, etc.
                    • Portal in general provided absolutely nothing - again, how much of that is his fault vs just bad luck with injuries, head cases, etc.
                    • Porter Brown going from .323 and 12 dongs to batting .213 with 8 dongs. is that his fault as head coach or the player who is now a redshirt Senior?
                    Most of these are pitching and most are injury related. How much of that injury/rehab/recovery is the fault of the pitching coach is debatable but that is a tough hand for any coach dealing with 11.7 (Vandy coach doesn't currently deal with 11.7 by the way). While the majority of that list may be his fault, I can't blame it all on him.
                    I don't think Pierce is getting fired this year. It will require getting annihilated in the SEC next year for that to happen. Texas has never been proactive in firing coaches. We need to let the wheels come off first.

But, if you include "Made regionals every year except 1" in your resume, your resume sucks. The two candidates that I have heard have better resumes than Pierce. When you are the manager or head coach of a team and you can't hire position coaches because you are an *******, you should be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

I don't think Pierce is getting fired this year. It will require getting annihilated in the SEC next year for that to happen. Texas has never been proactive in firing coaches. We need to let the wheels come off first.

But, if you include "Made regionals every year except 1" in your resume, your resume sucks. The two candidates that I have heard have better resumes than Pierce. When you are the manager or head coach of a team and you can't hire position coaches because you are an *******, you should be fired.
                      You may want to prepare yourself

Comment

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but hasn’t pierce taken Texas to 3 college World Series, 3 regional or Supers and 3 B12 Championships since being at UT in 7 years not including 2 cancelled covid years (roughly coached 6 seasons)? That’s not terrible….
                        Last edited by Fmjag64; 05-23-2024, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                          Maybe I’m reading it wrong but hasn’t pierce taken Texas to 3 college World Series, 3 regional or Supers and 3 B12 Championships since being at UT in 7 years not including 2 cancelled covid years (roughly coached 6 seasons)? That’s not terrible….
                          Agree, which is why I posted the resume on the previous page. If you just look at the numbers it will be extremely hard to find a better resume.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

You may want to prepare yourself
                            For him getting fired or Texas getting blasted in the SEC in 2025?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

For him getting fired or Texas getting blasted in the SEC in 2025?
                              The first part. Texas will be fine in the SEC

Comment

I just don’t like him, and I realize that’s a stupid reason to fire someone. I don’t like the way he manages a game, or a pitching staff. It’s pretty telling that he insists on coaching 3rd/pitchers/etc., and those end up being weak points of the team.

I wouldn't have a huge issue if he stayed, due to some of your reasons above, but he'd better have a hell of an off season.
                                Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-23-2024, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X