The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macdad View Post
    Well alll this talking has got me in the mood for elk country. Iam planning on going back to Colorado unit 62 again . Last time I went was 2 years ago and had to cut my hunt short cause of all the rain. I had scouted the Kieth crekk area but had to leave does any body have any info of this unit and area
    pm sent

Comment

Ok. Here's a dumb question. Is there a GPS unit that has a display screen that shows public/private/wilderness/BLM boundary lines?

I'm wondering how one navigates public land in NM without getting onto private land.

I am clueless and I apologize for the stupid question

Comment

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
        Ok. Here's a dumb question. Is there a GPS unit that has a display screen that shows public/private/wilderness/BLM boundary lines?

I'm wondering how one navigates public land in NM without getting onto private land.

I am clueless and I apologize for the stupid question

You have to get mapping software that is equipped with that feature, the only one I am aware of is:
        Know where you stand with onX, the most accurate GPS mapping tech for outdoor enthusiasts featuring land ownership maps that work offline.

This will show where you are, public or private and allow you to hunt the edges knowing you are legal.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
          You have to get mapping software that is equipped with that feature, the only one I am aware of is:
          Know where you stand with onX, the most accurate GPS mapping tech for outdoor enthusiasts featuring land ownership maps that work offline.

This will show where you are, public or private and allow you to hunt the edges knowing you are legal.
          Thanks man.

Any books you would recommend for a novice like myself to begin having a clue?

Comment

I used the maps in New Mexico and thougjt they we pretty acurate with the exception of spring locations. The companies price was reasonable and updates are free.

Comment

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
              Thanks man.

Any books you would recommend for a novice like myself to begin having a clue?
              Any and every book you can get. You will learn something from each of them.
              Mine are all packed from the move right now, but I found some online that I remember enjoying when I read them.

Here are some good ones:
              The complete book of elk hunting by Sam Curtis
              Ultimate elk hunting by Jay Houston

Elk of north america: ecology and management by Jack Ward Thomas (this will give you all of the knowledge to apply yourself, instead of just trying to imitate others)

Comment

Any and every book you can get. You will learn something from each of them.
                Mine are all packed from the move right now, but I found some online that I remember enjoying when I read them.

Here are some good ones:
                The complete book of elk hunting by Sam Curtis
                Ultimate elk hunting by Jay Houston

Elk of north america: ecology and management by Jack Ward Thomas (this will give you all of the knowledge to apply yourself, instead of just trying to imitate others)
                I really appreciate the help!

Just downloaded the Sam Curtis book to my kindle app!

Comment

ELK COUNTRY pictures:

location where I shot my elk the first week of archery season last year:

Go Lite SL5 tipi: 3lbs 2oz.(using trekking pole and pole extender for center pole)

Comment

Guys, we've talked about boots quite a bit on here and I wanted to address an issue with fit.
                    You may find an excellent boot that just doesn't fit your foot, it may not cause blistering but it may just be uncomfortable and you may need a different style of boot.

The two main styles I have found have nothing to do with height of the boot, but more to do with the way the toe box will fit.

The first style is pretty common: an example is the Lowa Ranger. The boot laces come down and when they stop the toe box is very flat and can cause contact on the top of the toes if you have hammer toes or just generally jacked up feet.
                    Lowa Ranger

Another style is more of the traditional hiker boot build. This usually includes what they call lace to toe design. The toe box is deeper from top to bottom, allowing more toe movement, but the boot is able to lace tight enough to lock in your heel, generally fitting better for people who need a wide or deep toe box. A couple examples are the Asolo Sasslong and the Kenetrek hardscrabble hiker:

Asolo Sasslong:

Kenetrek Hardscrabble:

Asolo Sasslong in front of the Lowa Ranger GTX

So, when you go looking for a good mountain boot, make sure you find the boot that will fit you're foot. I found that the Lowa Ranger will not work for me after spending $330-$340.
                    Selling used boots is just a loss of money, and when trying to find a good quality boot you can't always find somewhere to try them on like you can with a cheap quality boot that the mass hunting stores carry.

Side note: if someone needs an 11.5 wide Lowa Ranger, pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                      Also if anyone needs help or has questions about hunting Idaho I can help as this is my home state now.
                      I will definitely be in touch. Guide or DIY, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do yet. My parents live in Lewiston and I grew up in the area, if you live near there or have any contacts.

Brands to consider on boots: Hanwag, Asolo, Kenetrek, Lowa, Meindl, and Schnees.
                      Thanks for the boot info. I went to REI Austin yesterday looking for the Sasslongs. TPS520 looks like it was the closest they had. Today we went down to Cabela's and I tried some of the Rocky and Danner on. I found a pair of Cabela's Alaska Hikers by Meindl in the bargain cave that were my size. They felt good walking around the store. I walked them out for $168 after tax and they list for $299, so I felt good also.

They are proud of those Kenetreks aren't they?

Comment

It's getting close to start thinking about putting in your 2013 Hunting Applications. Start studying now and come up with a good gam plan. I always hear people say "oh I forgot to put in." WHAT!!!!!!! How can you forget to put in for the best hunt in the world??

Just another reminder.

Comment

Originally Posted by Whirlwind

Also if anyone needs help or has questions about hunting Idaho I can help as this is my home state now.

I will definitely be in touch. Guide or DIY, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do yet. My parents live in Lewiston and I grew up in the area, if you live near there or have any contacts.

I am in southern Idaho. I have lots of contacts and I know a bunch of guys that guide and that work for the fish and game. Just hit me up and I can help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Thanks for the boot info. I went to REI Austin yesterday looking for the Sasslongs. TPS520 looks like it was the closest they had. Today we went down to Cabela's and I tried some of the Rocky and Danner on. I found a pair of Cabela's Alaska Hikers by Meindl in the bargain cave that were my size. They felt good walking around the store. I walked them out for $168 after tax and they list for $299, so I felt good also.

The TPS520 had a very different feel than the Sasslong's. Sierra Trading Post has them on sale and you can get a30-45% off coupon for the purchase as well.

The Meindl boots are a good boot, I wore a pair of meindl denali's for almost 200 miles through a bunch of seasons, they are still a back up pair for me now. $168 is a great price.

They are proud of the Kenetrek's, same with Lowa's and Hanwag's as well. You're usually looking at $300-400 for those boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Keep an eye on sierra trading every now and then they will have the kenetreks in stock.
                              I bought mine from them last year for $190 using discount offers. You can also find them on ebay, Kenetrek sells there returns on there.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                                Drt, heal up quickly buddy. Prayers up for a speedy recovery.
                                Thanks for the prayers and cheers guys! Surgery went great and I have been walking since Sunday and off pain narcotics as well! Only a few Advil here and there now. I am amazed at how well I am recovering. Rehab starts today (the hard part of knee surgery) but I am looking forward to it.

I have no doubt I'll be ready for the high country come hunting season.

Comment

Working...
                                X