No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this treestand a couple miles in up in Colorado....

Comment

There was a little inner tube sitting on the platform that is obviously used as a cushion. After looking it over there is no way I would ever try to sit there. Death trap to the person who tries IMO.

Comment

We need some more motivation in this thread:

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Yes my favorite issue so far.
          Yup it's a great mag I cant stop looking at it and reading it. I need to get my hands on Issue 1 I just missed it when I subscribed.

Comment

well, I've had a right knee that has bothered me on and off since last hunting season, progressively getting worse.
            Went to the dr yesterday and he suspects torn meniscus, but will need a $500 MRI to doublecheck.

Not sure what I will do from here, my insurance is pretty poor, first $1k is out of pocket, then 50/50 for the next $8k ($4k is my part of that), so if it went to surgery it would cost me $5k.
            Not sure surgery would be needed, so tempted to put it off and really rest is for about a month and then go from there.

Just going to make hunting that much harder this year, it won't stop me but it will make things interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
              well, I've had a right knee that has bothered me on and off since last hunting season, progressively getting worse.
              Went to the dr yesterday and he suspects torn meniscus, but will need a $500 MRI to doublecheck.

Not sure what I will do from here, my insurance is pretty poor, first $1k is out of pocket, then 50/50 for the next $8k ($4k is my part of that), so if it went to surgery it would cost me $5k.
              Not sure surgery would be needed, so tempted to put it off and really rest is for about a month and then go from there.

Just going to make hunting that much harder this year, it won't stop me but it will make things interesting.
              A cortizone shot is a cheap quick fix to help get your elk fix

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                A cortizone shot is a cheap quick fix to help get your elk fix
                not worried about short term, the long term is more of my concern.

If it will eventually heal itself, then I will be just fine with it. In all actuality I don't need it until I hit the mountain and need it to support my weight and power up the mountain, then support me coming down.
                It only gives me a problem at a 45 degree angle or more, so every day I don't really notice it until I start working out or hiking up a mountain.

Comment

If it is a meniscus tear? and it sounds like it is. It wont heal. It could very well go back in place and stop hurting but it can come back at anytime. Especially when going up and down mountains. I blew one out, (acl,mcl,pcl,and half my meniscus) about 7 years ago Bulldogging. I had surgery but it still acts up under heavy stress. My other knee has some issues of it's own so I feel your pain. Good luck. Getting old sux.

Comment

Elkaholic, you had the "unhappy triad" as we call it in sports med country. Used to bulldog too, my shoulder always got hurt, luckily not my knees.

3d, ligaments and cartilage do not heal. No blood supply to them, or very little anyway. I would suggest to get it cleaned out when you can, doesn't have to be now, but the long term health of the knee would be better for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Elkaholic, you had the "unhappy triad" as we call it in sports med country. Used to bulldog too, my shoulder always got hurt, luckily not my knees.

3d, ligaments and cartilage do not heal. No blood supply to them, or very little anyway. I would suggest to get it cleaned out when you can, doesn't have to be now, but the long term health of the knee would be better for sure.
                      Yup My doc said it was the longest MRI report he had ever seen on a knee. I also fractured both top and bottom leg bones at the knee. Had to wait 7 weeks for that to heal before I could have surgery.

I agree a scope would be a minor set back and the sooner the better. I understand the money thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post

I can understand that, just don't want to fall victim to the mindset that everything requires surgery.

Biggest problem I have is there is only an occasional problem at this time, only in certain situations, whereas if there was pain all the time then it would be different.

I may be able to put my deer refund from Colorado towards the MRI, looks like I didn't draw my first choice but hoping I may still be able to pick up a tag for high country mule deer somewhere up there.

Comment

5 weeks ago a surgeon repaired my left rotator cuff. He said he ground the arm bone till it bled then anchored the tendon to the bloody spot for blood supply. One more week in the sling with only passive therapy to maintain range of motion, then I can begin a little strengthening excersises. I thought I was special enough to speed it up. Not so old one. It is very tender and the therapist says to follow dr's orders. Today is a day of rest, sore from yesterday.
                          It should be ready by august to shoot 100 arrows per day. I hope to be in N.M. 8/26

Comment

I jsut ordered my Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm spotter today! Will be in my hands in 4 days and time to go scouting.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                              I jsut ordered my Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm spotter today! Will be in my hands in 4 days and time to go scouting.
                              You will be very pleased with that from what I hear. I have been impressed with the Vortex line myself.

Contemplating going with a recurve or longbow for this season....hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                                Nice purchase Took....let us know the good and especially any bad you find. That scope is ranking with the big 3 in most reviews I find. Backpacking weight is the only ding I've found on it.

If you don't like it PM me
                                Last edited by drthornton; 05-15-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X