No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 days from my first trip! I will be going back around the 14th through the 23rd if needed.

Comment

8 days till me and smokinfeathers head out we will be hunting unit 85 in co.
      3000 ac privet ranch

Comment

Three weeks and 6 hours left for me!

Comment

Scouting in the morning...yahoooo!
          heard bout a big 7x7 in velvet pushing 370..
          hope to get pics.

Comment

28 days for me. New moon for the first few days of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
              Was watching an elk hunt on the outdoor channel last night with the CEO of Dodge up hunting with Three Forks Ranch in northwest Colorado.
              Pretty good footage but the guy was driving me nuts at the end.
              The guide had talked about how they like to take their hunters to a lot of places and not just to where the good bulls are, so they have more than a 30 minute hunt.
              Then the guy from Dodge is talking about how hard they had to work to get this elk.
              He planned the hunt knowing he only had two days to hunt.
              Then they called the "recovery team" once the elk was down.....
              I said to my wife, I need one of those "recovery teams". !!!

I would like to see mr. fancy pants dodge hang out with one of us normal hunters for a week of hunting the mountains of Colorado, then talk about how "hard" he worked in the two days he had to hunt.
              Heck at two days I'm just getting into the groove of hunting!

Im with ya there....we need us a recovery team...haha..too funny!

Also the post 1073 with the 400 ELK?? What zoo would that one be from?

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                Thanks for the info. With the 150 I have seen no evidence of planing. Never shot the lighter ones, though. that might make the difference? I wanted something solid and heavy. I practice a lot with my broad head and have tuned to the head.
                My hunting partner was getting a flyer at 50 yards with VPA's. He added a 25 grain add on weight to the insert making it essentially a 150 grain up front, his flyers went away, no problems now for him.

I'm thinking that sometimes with the shorter vanes being used these days you either need a heavier broadhead in some situations or more helical fletch to keep the head spinning faster to avoid planing.

I switched to 6 degree helical fletching on my blazers using the Arizona EZ fletch mini and shot some tonight for the first time.
                The blazers sure make some noise fletched at that degree, but it also improved my broadhead flight even more and made things more consistent at 70-80 yards.
                I did notice a little more drop at 50+ yards and had to adjust my sight pins accordingly.
                With the last 12 shots at 40-60 yards I ruined the fletching on 3 arrows.

Comment

I shoot both the 2 blade S&S archery "solid broads" and the Vpa solid both 100 gr neither plane. Only difference from feild points with both heads is the 2 blade "solid" shoots about 2" lower at 60 yards.

I use blue streaks and flatlines with blazers, factory fletched

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    I shoot both the 2 blade S&S archery "solid broads" and the Vpa solid both 100 gr neither plane. Only difference from feild points with both heads is the 2 blade "solid" shoots about 2" lower at 60 yards.

I use blue streaks and flatlines with blazers, factory fletched
                    How does the 100 gr VPA compare to the 125 gr in size?
                    If it's smaller that could be a difference.

Comment

Looks like same cutting diameter and length on the website. Maybe blade thickness?

Comment

Hey "elkbowhunter"
                        I guide on the Acoma in New Mexico.
                        Its all free ranging elk..! we harvested over a doz. 400+ bulls..including #1 free range muzzle loader in the world (sci).
                        Check out www.acomagameandfish.com..
                        Its still a tough hunt. But ratios are 2:1.
                        just FYI.

Comment

Yall quit talking about elk hunting, I'm trying to work.

Comment

Nevada Mule Deer

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                            I am outta here...19 hours to Vegas to pick up my buddy and another 6 to the trailhead.

Hopefully the next post I make will be a Grip and Grin with a 4x4 velvet Muley!
                            I struck out badly. 32 miles and 7000ft of elevation gain and we saw 1 doe. Highest Elevation was 11,300ft. I had what I thought was really good intel from several sources and even talked to the biologist(Texas Boy) who said I should see 20-25 deer a day. We saw no fresh sign and were farther back and higher than anyone else. We talked to several people when we came off and no one was having any luck. They claimed it was too hot and dry. The biologist could not believe we didn't see anything. This country is so big and open we should have at least seen deer miles away or running across mountain sides.

We did move to lower elevations thinking that the deer were lower due to lack of water but we found no sign there either.'

We did see about 20 Elk (Cows and Spikes) coming in which was cool.

All in all I still enjoyed it and learned a lot. Below are some things of note.
                            - Treking poles are awesome! If you are hauling everything on your back or in very steep country. Get some!
                            - Check stickiness of your Duck Tape before you get 2 miles in. I have heel spurs and require wrapped heels. See below for the the result of 32 miles with little heel protection.
                            - I took way too much food AGAIN. From now on I will figure 2000 and an extra MH every other day
                            - A Go Lite Shangri La 5 is perfect for 2 guys and you can use treking poles for the center pole to save a little weight
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dang!!!! No deer? That is tough. Us flat landers are at a big disadvantage when it comes to time to scout. Can make or break a deal. Glad you learned a lot.

What boots do you use? The Icon pass the test?

Comment

Man I hate to see feet like that. Super glue them bad boys back together.

Comment

Working...
                                X