The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    Was doing some broadhead testing this weekend with my bow.
    Was shooting the 125 non vented VPA, the G5 Strikers, and Trophy Taker Shuttle T's.

The VPA were great inside 40 yards, not so great past that.
    At 20 yards I stacked them on top of each other and actually had one head slice a part of the blade off the other head, actually ruined both heads...glad they belonged to my buddy and weren't mine.

The Strikers and Shuttle T's were extremely consistent.
    I still have problems with the Strikers going out of true after shooting them into a target 3-4 times, so I am not impressed with them. Working with G5 still on a resolution dealing with the brass collars that are on the 125 grain heads.
    The shuttle T's showed considerably less drop at 60 yards than other heads. About 4" less drop shooting 29.5" 70 lbs out of a PSE xforce 7 with 440 grain arrows and blazer fletching.

I will be using the Shuttle T's this year.
    Great review!!! thanks for the info. I dont shoot over 40 yards and I know the VPA are perfect for me. I have never seen a broad head do what these VPA do to ELK---.SOLID! I shoot the 150grain and as with anything the proof is in the pudding and the VPA 150s are my choice. ELK killer for sure.

Comment

Heres a Montec G-5 compared to the VPA 150.
      I killed a few animals with the G5 but the difference between it and the
      VPA is pretty much apples and oranges. Its good to shoot em all and shoot what works for you. I am very confident with VPAs.
      Attached Files

Comment

VPA are strong head for sure, and I will still consider them in the future.
        The problems I saw were due to planing and they were affected more by a slight breeze or wind than other heads making them less forgiving.
        A heavier head like the 150 may help that problem, don't know.

Comment

The problems I saw were due to planing and they were affected more by a slight breeze or wind than other heads making them less forgiving.
          I am shooting 55 yards with the VPA 125. My fp hit right with them. My bow is tuned with the VPA. Muzzy 100 hits left about 2 inches. ST hits low. All still kills.

I have never had two different bh hit the same. I tune my bow to one specific bh.

I am no target shooter, so I am extremely happy with 6-8" groups @ 55 yrds.
          I will start shooting more and more often as Sept 12 gets closer....hope I can tighten my groups up. If I can't, I am still happy with where I am at this point.

Hope I never have to shoot that far, everything would have to be perfect.

Comment

Thanks for the info. With the 150 I have seen no evidence of planing. Never shot the lighter ones, though. that might make the difference? I wanted something solid and heavy. I practice a lot with my broad head and have tuned to the head.

Comment

What fletching are you using?

I have a friend using quick spin speed hunters and only shooting 260 fps that doesn't have any problems with the VPA's.
              I am using blazers with offset fletch.
              Using a fletching that creates a quicker spin would help alleviate any planing issues. Just something to keep in mind.
              I get my arrows on sale, and they usually come from camo fire fletched with blazers already.

Comment

a3dhunter --I use Pile Drivers 350s -blazers with right offset fletch. Lancaster Archery.
                never tried the quick spin speed hunters.

Comment

What fletching are you using?

I have a friend using quick spin speed hunters and only shooting 260 fps that doesn't have any problems with the VPA's.
                  I am using blazers with offset fletch.
                  Using a fletching that creates a quicker spin would help alleviate any planing issues. Just something to keep in mind.
                  I get my arrows on sale, and they usually come from camo fire fletched with blazers already.
                  2" Fusion.....EZ Fletch Mini jig..on CE Pyledriver 250

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                    Good to see someone else on here uses VPA's. Great head!!! ELK KILLERS!!!
                    Remember the deadly V
                    Explain the deadly v.....I assume that's the outline of the shoulder bone

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                      Explain the deadly v.....I assume that's the outline of the shoulder bone
                      Yes sir. If you look at the outline of the bone at the shoulder it forms a V. Inside the V is deadly.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am outta here...19 hours to Vegas to pick up my buddy and another 6 to the trailhead.

Hopefully the next post I make will be a Grip and Grin with a 4x4 velvet Muley!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                          I am outta here...19 hours to Vegas to pick up my buddy and another 6 to the trailhead.

Good luck, and be safe!

Comment

Let's make that a 6x5 and a huge smile!

Comment

Good luck to your crew Mr. Thornton!

Comment

Good luck Mr Thornton Hope you do soe good.

I am heading up to Ruisoda area tommorow to have a look around and scout some of the country that is left see if I can figure out where I am going to try and hunt now.

Comment

Working...
                                X