No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I haven't updated lately, but here goes.

I've been hunting quite a bit. This last weekend found bulls responding to calls and bugling but we weren't hearing them bugle on their own, they had to be responding to calling or they were silent.

Had two herds with nice herd bulls working at different points over the weekend, but never did get a shot.
    I did miss a long shot on a cow elk Saturday evening, the elk was maybe a two year old and thought she was a whitetail deer. She jumped the string and turned inside out at the sound of the shot. Reversed 180 degrees and was gone in a flash.

Getting down to crunch time, seems like the rut is a little slow this year compared to last but the bulls are bugling and have herded up in central Colorado.

Comment

We are on the western slope and they are not bugling where we are. Very slow for the first 2 days of our hunt. Still have 6 days left to get it done. Did see a heck of a big bear the first evening but could not get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        We are on the western slope and they are not bugling where we are. Very slow for the first 2 days of our hunt. Still have 6 days left to get it done. Did see a heck of a big bear the first evening but could not get a shot.
        Make sure you are cow calling every 300-400 yards, or at the top of every ridge as hiking. Every bull that answered and came in was not bugling on there own and if we had not been so aggressive with cow calling we would have passed them by without knowing they were anywhere around.

On the front range elk were bugling on their own last night and one bull was pushing his herd and showing full rut behavior yesterday.

The time is right now, all across the state. If the action isn't very intense then trigger it with calling of your own. The elk are ready!

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
          Nm update. We are getting into elk but the bugling action is hit or miss. They are not responding to calls either. We have put in the miles so our time is coming. Lots of close calls. It is as dry as any where ive hunted making it impossible to be quite. My dad shot a cow opening morning so we are in the board. Made a perfect 30 yard quartering away shot. She went 40 yrds and piled up. Great stuff!!

On the other hand there are people everywhere. And the rudest group of hunters i have ever shared the woods with. Im a pretty chill fella but i got pushed to the point and called a guy out for some unethical behavior. Im glad it ended well. Later in we gave his buddies a ride to their truck. It was tough to do but im a firm believer in doing the right thing all the time. Man it was hard. I just wish we didnt have jackwagons in our bow hunting community. I used to think a bow hunter was a cut above most folks but im not sure anymore. Good luck to those still huntin.
          I got a dose of that in Colorado was 8 miles by trail from the trailhead got set up down wing on a bull been patterning for 3 days and started calling two hunters came in from upwind of the bull and blew him past me and they came stalking "rather poorly" into my cow call arrows knocked with bows held in front of them and they were making me a little nervous, so I stood up and waved and was assulted with profanity, at that point I picked up my pack and headed to other huunting grounds. Just what you have to put up with when you hunt public land.

Comment

I just got back from unit 53 in New Mexico (near Taos), they were bugling on their own but would not come into a call of any kind. They would answer a bugle but refused to come to a cow call. They were coming out of the timber at almost dark, got close several times but could never get a shot off before dark. People were everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Caprock View Post
              I just got back from unit 53 in New Mexico (near Taos), they were bugling on their own but would not come into a call of any kind. They would answer a bugle but refused to come to a cow call. They were coming out of the timber at almost dark, got close several times but could never get a shot off before dark. People were everywhere!
              Same thing that we experienced in 51 last week. The elk would respond to calls, but would not come in to them. They would actually move away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Caprock View Post
                We hunted unit 15 last season and the bulls would not respond to a call at all. They were screaming in the morning and silent in the afternoon. We ended up killing 5 bulls out of 10 hunters with 2 bulls coming the last day.
                We would not make a sound in the mornings and just go to the bulls screaming.
                I got lucky and killed my best bull the last day of the hunt. I had pretty much given up on killing a good bull, but everything came together that morning, I got between him and his cows and shot the heard bull at 40 yds. We killed a 367, 336, and 2 bulls around 300 and one small 5x5.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                  We hunted unit 15 last season and the bulls would not respond to a call at all. They were screaming in the morning and silent in the afternoon. We ended up killing 5 bulls out of 10 hunters with 2 bulls coming the last day.
                  I got lucky and killed my best bull the last day of the hunt. I had pretty much given up on killing a good bull, but everything came together that morning, I got between him and his cows and shot the heard bull at 40 yds. We killed a 367, 336, and 2 bulls around 300 and one small 5x5.
                  WOW! I am thinking about trying for Unit 13 or any of the 16's next year. Looks like I need to add unit 15 to the list! Nice bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post

Beautiful bull buddy!

Comment

I know bad land packs have been mentioned here but has anyone tried out the packs from kings camo? They look solid and are priced quite less than the ones from badlands.

Comment

Well a buddy and I have committed to doing a DIY Bivy hunt in Colorado for next year. Training has already begun and is the focus right now. Cut 10 pounds trying to cut another 5-10. Mixture of runs, lifts, and moderate (50 pounds) rucks.

Lots of time spent on google earth, topo maps, and studying the Colorado wildlife website. We are saving for as best quality gear we can swing, while using what we have. My priority is decent boots and a solid sleep system. Currently have a few GMU's that we are researching but that work has just begun.

Good luck to everyone and hunt hard.

Comment

Schmalzy, I can give you some recommendations for a decent sleep system and a pack if you are budget conscious like myself, just let me know, what GMU's are you looking at? I'm debating right now between trying to hunt in UT for mule deer again or elk OTC in CO if I don't get drawn for the mule deer unit I put in for this year.

Comment

2015-2016 New Mexico hunting regs are out. As expected all units have moved to a 2 season archery structure.
                            Publication Library Click below to view our library offered from the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. Note: PDF 1-page layouts can change to 2-page layouts with your Adobe Acrobat or Browser settings.  Rules & Information Books 2024-2025 Hunting The 2024-2025 New Mexico Hunting Rules

App season is coming quick...Wyoming NR Elk apps are due at the end on Jan.

Comment

I realize that you cannot hunt wilderness as a NR w/o a guide. Question for you all that have hunted WY public as a NR, w/o a guide on non wilderness areas....Is it worth it? Or, would you strongly suggest hiring a guide?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                                I realize that you cannot hunt wilderness as a NR w/o a guide. Question for you all that have hunted WY public as a NR, w/o a guide on non wilderness areas....Is it worth it? Or, would you strongly suggest hiring a guide?
                                Ive never done it but i am saving up 7-8 points to hunt the area that doc may killed his huge bull.. Its guided and kinda pricey but man it looks like a great hunt..

Comment

Working...
                                X