No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't thought about the snow factor, I'm in a 2wd truck so snow could be a problem! I just figured that more elk would be below timberline. Now you've got me thinking...

And thanks for the links ma, I for sure thought I was gonna have to put this off and now it's really looking like a reality.

Comment

If any of you guys are looking for a good pack I have a Kelty Redcloud 5600 I would sale for $100. It's been on two elk hunts and two backpacking trips. PM me if your interested.

Comment

Found a really cool thread with amazing elk photos. Enjoy.

Comment

Another great tool,

Believe DrThornton has the Extreme Elk Magazine also???

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            Another great tool,

Believe DrThornton has the Extreme Elk Magazine also???
            I only have 1 issue of Extreme Elk but it is good magazine. There are some good writers in there including Cameron Hanes and Aron Snyder. Aron Snyder(the elk reaper) is a living legend over on Bowsite.com for his DIY Elk hunting and gear reviews/analysis. He kills Elk every single year in CO OTC units. He turned his passion into a full time job. He also writes for Outdoor Life.
            I would definately recommend the magazine.

Comment

Just booked a hunt with an outfitter in Chama, NM. Going to start getting in shape after I finish this bag of french fries.

Lot's of good info in this thread! Lot's of gear to be procured between now and Sept. Boots, rain gear, day packs, socks, etc...

Comment

Just got Cameron Hanes book: "backcountry bowhunting", any other book recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                  Just got Cameron Hanes book: "backcountry bowhunting", any other book recommendations?
                  Not an Elk book but very good info...David Long's "Public Land Mulies"

Funny how outdated the gear in those books are and they were both published in the last 6 years. The theory and methods are good though.

In today's world there is so much info to be had. Frequent forum boards that focus on or have a lot of western hunters and you can pick up a heck of a lot.

onyourownadeventures.com Hunt Talk
                  bowsite.com
                  archerytalk.com
                  are just a few

Comment

One thing I haven't seen much discussion on here is water. You really need to have a water source that you can treat for drinking. And even though the water is mountain spring cold I bathed and washed closes in no sent soap everyday to keep sent down. I always had the next days closes hanging out ready for the morning hunt.

If you pack in its a lot harder to carry water unless you use a service pack a camp in for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Liven4TheHunt View Post
                      One thing I haven't seen much discussion on here is water. You really need to have a water source that you can treat for drinking. And even though the water is mountain spring cold I bathed and washed closes in no sent soap everyday to keep sent down. I always had the next days closes hanging out ready for the morning hunt.

If you pack in its a lot harder to carry water unless you use a service pack a camp in for you.
                      Good point here. Most areas that are being considered will have flowing creeks or springs but if they don't, plans should be made to regularly get water. I prefer pumping to tablets/drops although the taste on the latest stuff is not too bad it takes time to activate and I do carry some for backup. I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro which works very good. I think I am going to buy a Platypus Gravity Feed this year so I can do more bulk water.

I too like to bathe every day....even in the frigid mountain streams. Some just can't handle the jolt. I suggest non-scented wipes for those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                        I too like to bathe every day....even in the frigid mountain streams. Some just can't handle the jolt. I suggest non-scented wipes for those guys.
                        I've done both and prefer the stream, but the wipes can really help out in dry areas. Even with them, after 2 days I've got to have enough water to wash up or I feel like every elk in the unit can smell me.

Did you hear Aron tore his bicep and had to have surgery last week? He was also losing some feeling in his hand, felt like it was asleep. Hoping his circulation is better and starts recovering quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                          I've done both and prefer the stream, but the wipes can really help out in dry areas. Even with them, after 2 days I've got to have enough water to wash up or I feel like every elk in the unit can smell me.

Did you hear Aron tore his bicep and had to have surgery last week? He was also losing some feeling in his hand, felt like it was asleep. Hoping his circulation is better and starts recovering quickly.
                          Agreed on the bath...Getting clean can change my entire state of mind after a long tough day.

I had not heard that about Aron...I guess I missed it. Tough injury for a bowhunter!

Comment

Does anyone use a mouth diaphram call? Any recomendations? I have an imaka da bull crazy and hoochie momma but wanting a mouth call i can use while drawn if need be.

Comment

I love to talk about elk hunting,It is my passion,I live in Wyoming and elk are what I live for.Hopefully harvesting number 35 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by reedjj View Post
                                Does anyone use a mouth diaphram call? Any recomendations? I have an imaka da bull crazy and hoochie momma but wanting a mouth call i can use while drawn if need be.
                                Take a real good look at Bugling Bull game calls.

or
                                ELK101.com
                                Free Shipping* on all Orders! *Free shipping offer valid only in lower 48 states. International shipping rates will apply to international orders.

Yellow, Brown, and Green are all good.

These calls seem to sound better for me and feel better in my mouth, after moving past the Primos calls my calling improved drastically.

Out of the 80 miles I hiked last archery season, I bet I had a mouth call in for 75 of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X