No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience, I used to keep a quiver on my pack until one day while elk hunting, my brother said "dude where are your arrows!"
    I had one left! I guess I lost them by snagging on trees or brush. Since then I keep it on my bow while moving. I practice shooting with it on for about a month before I go.
    Just thought I would share that story.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Never was comfortable shooting with quiver attached. Until this thread and upcoming Elk hunt. So I’ve now been practicing solely with attached. Not too bad. Guess it was more a mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always hunt with my quiver attached.. I practice with it on and I put my arrows back in it before I shoot the next round.. I've lost a couple having them strapped to my back pack..

Comment

For what it is worth, I learned these three things 15 minutes into my 1st elk hunt
            1. Have your quiver attached to your bow
            2. Do not use a single pin sight
            3. Always be ready

Comment

What is everyone doing with their rangefinder? Hunting a stand I wear it around my neck and tucked into the chest pocket of my Scentlock suite. Stalking/calling seems like something faster might be needed.

A buddy of mine has a rig that goes around his upper arm, it’s like a docking station, finder stays there, when you grab it a chord stays attached, when you take it down that chord draws it back into its docking station so no chance of dropping it.

Anyone know of something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                What is everyone doing with their rangefinder? Hunting a stand I wear it around my neck and tucked into the chest pocket of my Scentlock suite. Stalking/calling seems like something faster might be needed.

A buddy of mine has a rig that goes around his upper arm, it’s like a docking station, finder stays there, when you grab it a chord stays attached, when you take it down that chord draws it back into its docking station so no chance of dropping it.

I will make a video this week with my rangefinder set up.. I honestly feel like my rangefinder system is the best possible. That said if your **** about gear and keeping it in like new condition its probably not the best method.. IM hard on ****.. But I do what works.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  I will make a video this week with my rangefinder set up.. I honestly feel like my rangefinder system is the best possible. That said if your **** about gear and keeping it in like new condition its probably not the best method.. IM hard on ****.. But I do what works.

I’m not afraid to use my stuff!

Comment

I’m not afraid to use my stuff!
                    then my set up is money.. Ill post a video this week.. Because thats more fun that an written explanation lol

Comment

I use rubber bands and attach to my binocular's harness.

Comment

Awesome. Up for all the tricks you experienced folks. May need a Tips and Tricks forum page.

Comment

Good boots- broken-in
                          Smartwool socks
                          Synthetic, (thin) sock liners
                          Foot powder

Hydration bladder in pack

Nothing made of cotton.

Good, thin gloves you can shoot your bow the same as without.

Start working out doing bleacher climbs today with elk pack and add weight until 30#.

Extra, backup release.

Comment

I bought an ADAK bino harness recently with a rangefinder pocket. You can put the rangefinder on either side, so it works for right-handed or left-handed shooters. I've hunted axis with it so far, and I like it.

Comment

I first had a rangefinder pouch attached to my backpack waist belt. But that does no good if you have your pack off. The chest pack is always on me. It's not in the way with my pack on either. I just wish Black Ovis made them in camo and with a mesh back panel. But those are minor gripes.

Comment

Anyone have luck with the colorado left-over's? I struck out, just too many people trying at one time. I was even logged in early and still got put in line.

Comment

Working...
                                X