Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well put 11 miles on the boots yesterday after work, was quite the pace and didn't get out of the woods til 10:30pm (oops lol). Finally saw some Elk so that's good, not sure how good as they're in the summer range and I'll be in 3rd rifle season in November, but it was a good hike none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      Man we’re gonna be backpacking in after 24 hrs I’m going to be struggling without a shower lol I’ll be dreaming of your setup brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah I Will Be Bivy Camping As Much as Weather allows also But, Any Chance I can Run Down Mid day to reload on Grocery's and Grab a Shower I am Going to Be prepared.

Comment

Are any of you using a bow sling? Or are you attaching to your pack and then hand carry once you get to where you start hunting? Trying to finalize me packing/gear list.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          Are any of you using a bow sling? Or are you attaching to your pack and then hand carry once you get to where you start hunting? Trying to finalize me packing/gear list.
          Playing caller(not shooter) this year in CO. but I just strapped my bow to my exo pack last year. I’m going to grab a weapon carrier attachment for hunts this year though

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post

Strap to my pack. I have the Kuiu cam/ strings slip on cover and their holder to cushion/ protect the lower cam when I put the pack down or if my feet slide out from under me and I land on my butt.

It also lets me use a carbon hiking staff (Costco). The staff transfers a surprising amount of work from your legs to shoulders going up a hill as evidenced by the muscles getting sore.

I built a lightweight shoulder strap with 2 plastic clips that I attach to 2 pieces of camo paracord in spaces in the upper and lower riser (they remain on the bow).

Comment

The bulls were bugling like crazy last night. They are still in bachelor groups but it seems like their attitudes are starting to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Strap to my pack. I have the Kuiu cam/ strings slip on cover and their holder to cushion/ protect the lower cam when I put the pack down or if my feet slide out from under me and I land on my butt.

It also lets me use a carbon hiking staff (Costco). The staff transfers a surprising amount of work from your legs to shoulders going up a hill as evidenced by the muscles getting sore.

I built a lightweight shoulder strap with 2 plastic clips that I attach to 2 pieces of camo paracord in spaces in the upper and lower riser (they remain on the bow).

I've seen a few slings on Amazon that have the parts that stay on the bow, just unclip the sling, wasn't sure if they would get in the way or not.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Well put 11 miles on the boots yesterday after work, was quite the pace and didn't get out of the woods til 10:30pm (oops lol). Finally saw some Elk so that's good, not sure how good as they're in the summer range and I'll be in 3rd rifle season in November, but it was a good hike none the less.
                  If we get good snow they will head own in elevation or over to wind blown clear areas. I had a 4th season deer tag in your areas one year, just enough snow to limit access and push deer down out of the timber and high country. Didn't see any elk sign up there then. We were just over the Wyoming line above the river.
                  Lots of elk stage at the state line near Red Mountain if that's your area. They may move from west to east for that winter range. The late Wyoming cow tags rely on them moving up to the sage flats just over the line, they stage in Colorado.

Comment

If you're packing in during season I would have that bow handy for a quick shot, have met elk using the same trails as us many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      Playing caller(not shooter) this year in CO. but I just strapped my bow to my exo pack last year. I’m going to grab a weapon carrier attachment for hunts this year though
                      What calls are you using, Patton? I’m only in year 2 of elk hunting, but I’m looking for some new calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

I’m headed to Idaho in August for a first time archery Elk hunt. Interested in the sling set up.
                        Any pics of it you mind sharing?

Comment

Montana in October
                          Attached Files

Comment

Picked up some of the new crispi Colorado boots and must say they have been pretty dang good thus far. I hiked 10 miles last week up in Colorado with around 30lbs and no blisters! I thought I would let y’all know that for me out of the box that’s outstanding.

Comment

Does anyone have any info on how the elk are looking in the Gila. I heard there was a lot of moisture early, but it has been dry lately. Hopefully the elk are a lot better than they were last year.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                Montana in October
                                Tell that sum beetch to paint a happy Big Elk, like a 380" 7x7!

Comment

Working...
                                X