No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna put in for NM, I drew 23 last year and saw some but nothing big.. I went with an outfitter (won't do that again) and one of the other guys paid 40k for 3 unit 16 tags (guide/outfitter wasn't included in the 40k)

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      Hunted it last year, missed a 350(twice lol) ended up killing his satellite 270.

Get in shape

Already in the process...did you put in first or second season archery?

Comment

It wasn't split last year, like this year. I'd put into first if I was you, I literally watched them split cows on the 15th. After they split them herd Bulls are hard to break.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Darn, I guess I'll go back and change it then. I put in for the second draw for archery thinking I'd see some good rutting action. Thanks for the heads up.
          Last edited by rhendrix; 03-15-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I killed mine after they split, so you will still be fine.

Just have to get closer to pull sat's off or tick off herd bull.

It's my third option I'll let you know if I draw. It's a high pressure unit but lots of bulls if you get away from locals

They where still bugling and coming to calls by ML season so I wouldn't stress to much about second
            Last edited by Texans42; 03-15-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I'd rather hunt when bulls are moving and vocal. Trying to fool a couple of elk is hard enough, trying to fool a whole harem is tough as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                It's not a drop camp. Your just paying for their guide number to double your chance of drawing
                In NM, legally your outfitter has to to with you at least two days. If you get caught pulling this crap your in for a big ticket and/or loosing draw privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                  I'd rather hunt when bulls are moving and vocal. Trying to fool a couple of elk is hard enough, trying to fool a whole harem is tough as all get out.

Well, so much for that...my anniversary and sons birthday are right at the start of the first archery season and would cut my hunting days down by 4 days. Guess I'll leave it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                    In NM, legally your outfitter has to to with you at least two days. If you get caught pulling this crap your in for a big ticket and/or loosing draw privileges.

I got you. I know the species that a lot of guys do it is Ibex. But the outfitter may just show up two mornings and glass to make it legal.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Well, so much for that...my anniversary and sons birthday are right at the start of the first archery season and would cut my hunting days down by 4 days. Guess I'll leave it as is.
                      You got married in September?

I have been with the old lady since 2008 and she knows that months that Sept-Jan are off limits if we ever do tie the knot.

What part of Houston do you live in? I work in Conroe but I am in Houston for meetings all the time would love to gtg for lunch and talk elk hunting.

Comment

Haha, at the time I didn't hunt out west, was just trying to stay away from October-January. Little did I know. Haha!

And I'm in Cypress bud, send me a PM, I'm always down to talk elk.

Comment

Draw results for NM will be out April 27th this year. The odds for us drawing are around 4%, I am not very optimistic! I am trying for Elk, Ibex, Deer and Pronghorn, if I drawn anything I will be lucky.

Comment

I'm in for elk and mulies in CO for muzzleloader. And antelope in WY for rifle....

Any idea when results will be posted for either?

Comment

Took me about 2 months but I literally read every post on this thread from start to finish. Incredibly insightful. Had me taking notes on my phone with some of the info. Trying to get prepped up for my first go 'round w/ an elk hunt later this year.

Comment

Its been mentioned on here before but if you hunt elk during Sept you really should look at buying the Roe Hunting Resources app.

I thought I knew some things about calling elk but alot of what I thought I knew was a myth. Elk have a language and this guy has figured it out....without a doubt. He tells you exactly what each call means....and when to use them. He has some great videos that show how elk react to his calls. It worked great for me this year on a stubborn bull during early season.

Its not only good for calling scenarios...he talks about setting up and being able to get a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X