The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
    Have any of you guys hunted elk solo? If so, what were your experiences? I'm having a hard time finding someone to go with me as a backup to my mule deer plans.
    Yes sir, done it a couple times. One was a great time and the other was a beating and I wanted to beetch to someone. Personally, I would not try to do a bivy solo hunt for elk unless you have horses lined up. I killed a cow solo and it was only 2.7 miles to the truck and it was pretty rough time and I'm a pretty healthy meathead. I really enjoyed the actual hunt because I felt I was way quieter and didn't have to ask anybody before I did anything. Only tough part was at night, but usually it was straight to bed once I made myself eat. If you can, I would do a long weekend scout trip if you can to get a bit more used to it.

Comment

I've hunted mulies solo, talked to myself a lot, but I never answered, so I've got that going for me. I'm just worried about the logistics honestly, trying to find someone with pack animals that will show up after a phone call or text is rough in SW CO, I never found anyone that would give me a hard commitment last year.

Comment

Is the elk unit otc? What dates are you thinking?

Comment

Yep, OTC, was looking at the last two weeks of September.

Comment

Got ya, same dates for your mule deer if you get drawn?

Comment

How far do you guys go back in with mules?
              8-9 miles we camped at 11,200' But for my first DIY hunt I was pleased To kill a 6x6

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse View Post
                Got ya, same dates for your mule deer if you get drawn?

Nah, if I draw mulies I'm going first two weeks of September.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                  8-9 miles we camped at 11,200' But for my first DIY hunt I was pleased To kill a 6x6

Man I envy you, we were 9-10 miles back on foot and if we had gotten an elk down we would've been in for a world of hurt.

Comment

Man I envy you, we were 9-10 miles back on foot and if we had gotten an elk down we would've been in for a world of hurt.
                    What unit were you in? No way in hell I would walk in that far. One of the upsides to owing a large string of horses.

Comment

The Elk Thread

78, it wasn't too bad walking out, walking in sucked but I'd do it again if I had help of the four legged variety, and knew there was elk back there.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                        What unit were you in? No way in hell I would walk in that far. One of the upsides to owing a large string of horses.
                        How much a pain is it to get CO to "vet" your horses? Any quarantine of just a paperwork check and onceover?

Ive got a young A S S coming home soon...to be part of the family, work partner, guard donkey and hopefully mountain meat hauler. I know most folk use mules because of hardiness and temperment... any stories plus or minus?

Im hittin the nordi track already. Near time to throw the 50lb corn in the backpack and get to steppin.

Comment

I've hunted mulies solo, talked to myself a lot, but I never answered, so I've got that going for me. I'm just worried about the logistics honestly, trying to find someone with pack animals that will show up after a phone call or text is rough in SW CO, I never found anyone that would give me a hard commitment last year.
                          I really think your best bet is to find out who and where the outfitters are in your immediate area.
                          Talk with them and see which camp they will be in while you are there, or if they have drop camps in area, when they check on them.
                          Then if no service you could hike over to their camp if you kill.
                          Just a thought. This is the arrangement I have set up.

"Consider this with a packer: you may need to drive some distance to get cell service. That time of year outfitters and packers aren't sitting around watching Oprah, waiting for your call. So you leave a message. You don't know if he will get there later that day or two days later.

You go back to your camp and wait because he has no way to reach you when you're out of cell range. You can start packing meat yourself, but then when he arrives you aren't there. Lots of variables to consider even with a packer "lined up".

Comment

Have any of you guys hunted elk solo? If so, what were your experiences? I'm having a hard time finding someone to go with me as a backup to my mule deer plans.
                            Hunted solo the whole time I lived in Colorado. It isn't bad, but you have to be prepared for it. I actually enjoyed it. The real work began after the kill. You just have to hike through the pain and not let your mind get the best of you. I packed out a cow 3.5 miles to the truck in 2 trips. Deboned her, hung overnight, and started packing very early in the morning. Took 1/2 the meat and 1/2 of my camp with me each trip. Was a real killer but I made it.

Comment

I hunted solo. Walked in and out daily. There were several camps around my camp with horses and they would help me pack out if I was to shoot one.
                              Just another idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                How much a pain is it to get CO to "vet" your horses? Any quarantine of just a paperwork check and onceover?

Ive got a young A S S coming home soon...to be part of the family, work partner, guard donkey and hopefully mountain meat hauler. I know most folk use mules because of hardiness and temperment... any stories plus or minus?

Im hittin the nordi track already. Near time to throw the 50lb corn in the backpack and get to steppin.
                                Just Higgins and health cert. we never were checked anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X