No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

33 days till my brother and I head to Utah!

Comment

Pernell, that whole Gila area is going to be special this year. I'm going to do a Mule Deer hunt in January out there. Should be a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post
        4 days out. It can't get here soon enough. It will be my first time elk hunting.

What are your go to broadheads for elk?
        whoops, 46* days out. I'm pumped!

Comment

I will be in the mountains southwest of Steamboat scouting in the morning. Flying out at 7:40 pm tonight.

Temperature shock !!!!

I will post some pics in a separate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
            I will be in the mountains southwest of Steamboat scouting in the morning. Flying out at 7:40 pm tonight.

Temperature shock !!!!

I will post some pics in a separate thread.

Comment

Funky guy is still hanging around and now I have a kitty showing up.

Comment

Nice pics Mike. How did the scouting go? Y'all got em tied down?

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                  Nice pics Mike. How did the scouting go? Y'all got em tied down?
                  Terry. We are hunting the national forest next to the private ranch we hunted last year. We met our guide from last years hunt for dinner Saturday night. Marty has hunted with him for the four previous years. He knows the BLM and NF that butts up to the ranch very well. He gave us a lot of good info. He even said if we got an elk down and got it over to their fence that they would come and get it for us. We did about 10 miles in a day and a half. I am sore !!!!
                  Last edited by Arrowsmith; 08-04-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Very cool! I can't wait to see how this hunt goes!

Comment

Arizona here I come, 43 days & counting. This should be about my 30th Elk Hunting trip out west and my first to Az. Looking forward to chasing some of those long beamed heavy horned Elk Az is famous for.

Comment

Idaho second big game drawing opens up tomorrow. Lots of elk tags available and some good ones too boot.

Comment

I finally made it through the entire "Elk Thread". Lots of good information and got me even more pumped for my hunt this year. I leave in 28 days for my first elk hunt ever!

Headed to Idaho to hunt in the Smoky Bennett zone with Sun Valley Outfitters (I chose to go with a guide for my first hunt to learn as much as possible before I start DIY/OTC hunts). I'm sure I will be hooked for life after this hunt.

Comment

Funny how a week can change an Elk season. Pulling that UT tag as an alternate with a WY tag in my pocket has my head spinning. My hunting buddy was very understanding of how special this UT tag is. We are going to hunt both as my WY spot is only about 350 miles from the UT unit.

Got this pic from a local who had the tag in 2012. He ended up killing a 340 when he couldn't get it done with this big boy! Gives me a good idea of the caliber of bull available in the unit.
                            Attached Files

Comment

SWEET! What unit did you pull if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

After you decide which unit you are going to hunt in Colorado, how do you know what all is public land to hunt? I want to go to unit 75, I think. I've never been and would just like the experience more than anything. I've looked at the hunting atlas on the Co website, that thing gets kind of confusing with all the overlays.

Comment

Working...
                                X