Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
    Wasatch Mtns.
    The research begins! Anyone know anything?

I hunted deer there, can you give you a couple spots where I saw elk.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
      I hunted deer there, can you give you a couple spots where I saw elk.
      Awesome! I will be in touch.

Comment

Awesome! I will be in touch.

Which wasatch mountain unit did you pull?

Comment

Which wasatch mountain unit did you pull?
          It has been combined to 1 unit.

Comment

Good deal. I'll send you some info in a little bit.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Ok gents, I need some help, how are you guys narrowing down units in CO for an OTC archery hunt? First rifle tag numbers? Archery success rates? Elk density? Topography? I don't want to shoot a monster elk, but I do want to be able to get off the beaten path and get into elk fairly quickly since I've only got 10 days to hunt. I'm fine with shooting a cow, especially since this is my first actual elk hunt. I just can't wrap my head around where to go, it's a little daunting.

Comment

Ok gents, I need some help, how are you guys narrowing down units in CO for an OTC archery hunt? First rifle tag numbers? Archery success rates? Elk density? Topography? I don't want to shoot a monster elk, but I do want to be able to get off the beaten path and get into elk fairly quickly since I've only got 10 days to hunt. I'm fine with shooting a cow, especially since this is my first actual elk hunt. I just can't wrap my head around where to go, it's a little daunting.
                What I did was go to the big game Colorado hunting website. Theres a herd number page, unit stats and even an atlas that shows each units with the elk concentration and migration. I picked a unit due to hunting success and lower hunter than others. Its all on Colorado website. Its has alot of good info

Comment

Sent you a PM. Got some info, not sure if you have already read it or not.

Comment

Anybody ever hunted NM unit 16c in the Gila? My cousin i both drew first archery season, looking for pointers...

Comment

Take a look at startmyhunt dot com, it saved me hours of research. doesn't do it all for you but it sure helps to put it all together and cuts through a lot of the confusion when deciding where to hunt.

I'll be in the hunter frying pan or holy cross area. waiting on a couple more detailed maps before i make a final decision. Planning on being there for the 1st-2nd week of Archery.

Comment

Originally posted by Letemgrow View Post
                        Anybody ever hunted NM unit 16c in the Gila? My cousin i both drew first archery season, looking for pointers...
                        2 years ago I hunted 3rd. the guys I know that hunted first did really well over water.....but its the Gila and water in the evenings is where its at most any season. I seen at least 10 bulls a day and at least 10 "good-uns"...... GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Oh my goodnessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drew utaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
                          Boom! I responded in your other post before I saw this one. I said over there to hit up Rhendrix but I see he has already offered. Russ is another guy to ping on this although I have not seen him post in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post
                            Take a look at startmyhunt dot com, it saved me hours of research. doesn't do it all for you but it sure helps to put it all together and cuts through a lot of the confusion when deciding where to hunt.

I'll be in the hunter frying pan or holy cross area. waiting on a couple more detailed maps before i make a final decision. Planning on being there for the 1st-2nd week of Archery.
                            I have some intel on 47(Hunter's Frypan)....I made a plan to go in there but never did. Ping me and I'll tell you what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post

I can give you some Intel on 45, saw some elk in the area last year hunting mulies.

Comment

Originally posted by Letemgrow View Post
                                I have hunted 21A and 15 twice. If is it the first week, you need to hunt water in the evening, IF they don't have a ton of it like they do right now. Get a detailed map and get away from the roads, lots of 4 wheeler riders with knocked arrows in the land of enchantment. Learn how to do a locator bugle. Drive the road around midnight, stop and let everything quiet down for a few minutes and bugle, once you hear a response, mark it on the map. Keep doing that for a couple hours. Then get in there before daylight. Cover country, cover country, cover country. Silent elk are hard, especially in lower elevation, it makes it hard to glass them up, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X