felons and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stick-n-move View Post
    Quote-Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?
    Im sure that some fellows are changed and are good people. Fact is most are not and laws are made for the masses not the few!

If felons have proven to be bad decision makers and should not vote, then you should put the pregnate teens and the boys involved in the same boat!. A bad decision is a bad deciscion no matter what the circumstance is. MOST felons learn their lesson at an early age and never make another mistake in their lives that could land them in prison. This does not mean they are bad people. They are just like everyone else on here that shares the same passion for hunting and the outdoors. Sometimes a wake up call is in order to figure out reality. Sorry had to vent, just don"t agree with the system or some statements.
    Thats a nice Axis in your avatar, are there any left out there?

Comment

That was the last one

Comment

I did not go through all these posts, so excuse me if I repeat myself. These are what I know because I am a NON CONVICTED FELON.

I made a mistake in my later high school years and I thought I would never be able to vote, gun hunt, or anything. I completed my deferred adjudication successfully.

I am ABLE TO BUY GUNS. I have bought a .45 colt and a shotgun since I completed my probation. As long are you are NOT CONVICTED there is nothing to worry about.

You CAN NOT get your CHL, because the state of Texas considers a deferred sentence a conviction when applying for your CHL.

There is a proposition I hope y'all will vote yes for November 8th, that will allow the governor to pardon deferred adjudication people. In my humble opinion I think this should pass, due to the fact you have to be CONVICTED in order to be granted a pardon as of right now.

Back in about '07 or so Texas passed a law stating that felons could vote after they SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED their probation.

I hope this helps ya out. I've met a guy that has his FFL and the sick ******* is a pedophile. Not sure if that's correct spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by stick-n-move View Post
          Quote-Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?
          Im sure that some fellows are changed and are good people. Fact is most are not and laws are made for the masses not the few!

If felons have proven to be bad decision makers and should not vote, then you should put the pregnate teens and the boys involved in the same boat!. A bad decision is a bad deciscion no matter what the circumstance is. MOST felons learn their lesson at an early age and never make another mistake in their lives that could land them in prison. This does not mean they are bad people. They are just like everyone else on here that shares the same passion for hunting and the outdoors. Sometimes a wake up call is in order to figure out reality. Sorry had to vent, just don"t agree with the system or some statements.

Understood... but the law is the law. It doesnt matter if you agree with it or not. Its there and it is what it is.

Under the law Felons and pregnant teens arent the same... therefore 2 different boats.
          Now as to the pregnant teens: If the law said they go to jail and they dont vote or own firearms, although that it would be way out of line, they still would have known about it before hand and decided to break the law...

This doesnt mean they are bad people, Im sure some really good people speed. This doesnt not make them "bad people" but they do infact have to follow the law just as everybody else on the road, or they too get in trouble.

There is not a law for the "good people" and another one for the "bad people" there is just THE LAW.

Thats what Im saying when Im talking about the masses and the few, all people follow the same set of rules.

Comment

I do agree with the law is the law, and as human just as you are, we ALL have made some poor decisions in our lives. Some people get caught. I just did not agree with the statemnt about felons are poor dicision makers and not be able to vote.
            Last edited by stick-n-move; 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I understand why people think that way. The people who have made a mistake have been stereotype as bad people.

Comment

My buddy in LE said he arrested a guy on a warrant at the house he was renting, and found a room mate kept rifles in the room mate's room.

The arrested guy was a previously convicted felon and was additionally charged for having access to those guys. A convicted felon here can't live in a house where an UN related room mate had rifles. No way could his wife or kids if accessible to him.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                    whats all of yalls opinions on this scenario?? People who did 1 stupid thing in their teens and are now paying their whole life for it and have never been in trouble since....
                    Depends... is it marijuana possession with intent to distribute or attempted suicide bombing an airliner?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBoy View Post
                      I did not go through all these posts, so excuse me if I repeat myself. These are what I know because I am a NON CONVICTED FELON.

I made a mistake in my later high school years and I thought I would never be able to vote, gun hunt, or anything. I completed my deferred adjudication successfully.

I am ABLE TO BUY GUNS. I have bought a .45 colt and a shotgun since I completed my probation. As long are you are NOT CONVICTED there is nothing to worry about.

You CAN NOT get your CHL, because the state of Texas considers a deferred sentence a conviction when applying for your CHL.

There is a proposition I hope y'all will vote yes for November 8th, that will allow the governor to pardon deferred adjudication people. In my humble opinion I think this should pass, due to the fact you have to be CONVICTED in order to be granted a pardon as of right now.

Back in about '07 or so Texas passed a law stating that felons could vote after they SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED their probation.

I hope this helps ya out. I've met a guy that has his FFL and the sick ******* is a pedophile. Not sure if that's correct spelling.
                      You keep saying deferred adjudication is not the same as being convicted.. but really arent you found guilt, and sentenced to probation with terms/conditions, in which ..after successfully completing the probation period you will be granted deferred adjudication.
                      By definition.. you were convicted of the charge.. your sentence was deferred to your completion of probation.. if you didnt complete the probation you got the REAL penalty (most likely jail time)
                      That makes you a convicted criminal..because you passed a test to keep you from getting the real penalty, doesn't mean you weren't convicted.

For the record..
                      I'm for giving second chances to lesser crimes or anything not involving weapons, burglary, or violence would not fit that criteria.
                      Age during the crime is a consideration, but should not be the determining factor.

Comment

No sir they are completely different. After completing deferred adjudication it is technically dismissed. It will still show up on reports as an arrest with a DM or something or the other, meaning dismissal. I've been through the whole 9 plus some trying to figure this out. All I ever get is your just like all the rest, and no I'm not. I have a passion for something that I want to continually do. I will continue my passion within legal bounds. I was just informing the gentlemen who started this form, because many other deferred people have been mislead.

Comment

I'm willing to give a chance to anyone, besides rapist, sex offenders, all of those sort. I agree with burglary as well. Violence is a thin line for me. I think every case should be treated individually, which now they pretty much are anyways it seems. Judges and Prosecutors will judge you on appearance, attitude etc...There will always be a sore apple in any case.

Comment

i want yall to think about this one, im all for being harsh on those that deserve it, but this happened to a friend of mine and it doesnt seem right to me. Take your average everyday joe, that follows all the rules, has their own business, family and kids and in no way looking to get in trouble. goes out to the lease and there have been dogs running loose from a neighboring property all the time. dogs come through run the deer off and hang around, he decides to run them off by firing a shot, does not try to shoot one of them but bullet richoteches and hits one in the leg (300 RUM) and it takes off, he leaves the lease and is headed for his job when pulled over and arrested and charged with a felony for shooting the dog. want to talk about your world suddenly changing!!

my uncle was convicted of taking bribes for timber while working for the forest service, he decided to fight and lost while the others involved just took a plea bargain, his kids have their guns in the house but in their rooms but he is strictly a bowhunter now.

I have several felons who visit the shop and at least 3 are shooting a crossbow.

Comment

Doesn't matter felons who don't care are still going to get there gun illegally and commit crimes..only thing this is hurting is the honest man Tring to change his life and move on from pass mistakes do your time pay your debt and kill a deer..by not letting felons own guns it's changing absolutely nothing...the gang banger that just got out is going to pick up another stolen gun with in 24 hrs and revert back to his ways to commit another crime.

Comment

Working...
                              X