No announcement yet.

felons and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking and driving constitutes poor decision makin. In know of plenty of people who do this yet they still have there fire arm rights. Maybe they shouldnt vote either. How many people have voted drunk? I think plenty according to the last election.

Comment

Quote]Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?[Qoute

I guess repossesions, bankruptcy, and divorce are all reason's to be deemed unfit to own a firearm or vote since obviously they are all example's of bad decisionmaking?

Comment

Originally posted by overcomer401965 View Post
        Lots of people are felons, they just didnt get caught. There are also a lot of people who did stupid things when they were younger and havent been in trouble for over 30 years, what about these people?
        whats all of yalls opinions on this scenario?? People who did 1 stupid thing in their teens and are now paying their whole life for it and have never been in trouble since....

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
          Coach, go ahead and cast that first stone. Sounds like you qualify!
          I am truly not trying to cast stones... Just saying that those that dont follow the law have very real and sometimes lasting consequences. I even added in there that While some like your self are better people for doing this time...

HOWEVER, our jail system is full of Repeat offenders. These are who I am talking about, I do not know you, Im sure you are a great person from the posts I have read on here, the fact remains that the law is written for the Majority not the minority.

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
          I would imagine you would feel totally different if you had not got an attorney when you were young and had a felony on your record. I believe once you have served your time, off parole, probation or whatever you are now a taxpayer and therefore should have all the right's as any other taxpayer. People make mistake's and should noy have to pay for them the rest of their life if our judicial system decides they have served their time!
          I hope, I pray to be, and try to be a person of values... these values dont change based upon the situation. I have broke the law, I have paid for my trangressions, I still pay for it dearly everyday, I am without those I love because of my actions.

Quote]Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?[Qoute

I guess repossesions, bankruptcy, and divorce are all reason's to be deemed unfit to own a firearm or vote since obviously they are all example's of bad decisionmaking?
          So Reprossessions, bankruptcy, and divorce are all now felonies????

Felonies carry a harsher punishment because they are WORSE.

However, I do agree that a series of bad decisions, and other reasons would lead someone to repossesions, bankruptcies, and divorces.

But those are not stated in OUR law as having these negative reprocussions... although they do have others. ( OUR law = one that you and I both agree to follow or reap the consequences of our actions)

Im just trying to say that it is written in stone. Its not a suprise. It is LAW!

You jump into a pool your gonna get wet... You knew it when you jumped. Its not a suprise.

You break the law your gonna get in trouble.... you knew it when you broke the law. Its still no suprise.

Regardless if the punishment fits the crime.... you KNEW THE PUNISHMENT BEFORE HAND AND STILL TOOK THE RISK.

Im not saying anything we all dont know! Puzzled as to why its even questioned really!
          Last edited by Coach W; 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
            I was in a Walmart a few years ago standing in line to get a liscence. The guy in line in front of me was trying to get a liscence. The cashier (after a ten minute wait) told him he wouldn't be able to get a liscence. He asked why and she said that he was a convicted felon. His response was, "I know, but I thought I'd try" I thought felons couldn't get a liscence at all. Maybe he was on parole or something. What would have kept him from getting a liscence that would allow other felons to get one?
            I know that when someone commits a poaching/wildlife felony the judge will sometimes take away their ability to hunt/fish within the state. Maybe this was the case ???

Comment

Originally posted by k9trainer View Post
              But after you repent for your sins does God keep punishing you?
              Make no doubt about it... we are all being punished ever since the eating of the forbiden fruit. (Genesis)

Genesis 3: 6-19

When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,

“Cursed are you above all livestock
              and all wild animals!
              You will crawl on your belly
              and you will eat dust
              all the days of your life.
              15 And I will put enmity
              between you and the woman,
              and between your offspring[a] and hers;
              he will crush[b] your head,
              and you will strike his heel.”

16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
              with painful labor you will give birth to children.
              Your desire will be for your husband,
              and he will rule over you.”

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
              through painful toil you will eat food from it
              all the days of your life.
              18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
              and you will eat the plants of the field.
              19 By the sweat of your brow
              you will eat your food
              until you return to the ground,
              since from it you were taken;
              for dust you are
              and to dust you will return.”

As long as there are thorns, and you eat plants from the field We are being punished.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                I am truly not trying to cast stones... Just saying that those that dont follow the law have very real and sometimes lasting consequences. I even added in there that While some like your self are better people for doing this time...

HOWEVER, our jail system is full of Repeat offenders. These are who I am talking about, I do not know you, Im sure you are a great person from the posts I have read on here, the fact remains that the law is written for the Majority not the minority.

I hope, I pray to be, and try to be a person of values... these values dont change based upon the situation. I have broke the law, I have paid for my trangressions, I still pay for it dearly everyday, I am without those I love because of my actions.

So Reprossessions, bankruptcy, and divorce are all now felonies????

Felonies carry a harsher punishment because they are WORSE.

However, I do agree that a series of bad decisions, and other reasons would lead someone to repossesions, bankruptcies, and divorces.

But those are not stated in OUR law as having these negative reprocussions... although they do have others. ( OUR law = one that you and I both agree to follow or reap the consequences of our actions)

Im just trying to say that it is written in stone. Its not a suprise. It is LAW!

You jump into a pool your gonna get wet... You knew it when you jumped. Its not a suprise.

You break the law your gonna get in trouble.... you knew it when you broke the law. Its still no suprise.

Regardless if the punishment fits the crime.... you KNEW THE PUNISHMENT BEFORE HAND AND STILL TOOK THE RISK.

Im not saying anything we all dont know! Puzzled as to why its even questioned really!
                I cant say I totally disagree, I just dont see why a kid that steals a car get's the same lifelong continued punishment as a man that murder's a family. I know it's the law and everyone has to abide by it, but some folk's are just guilty by association, in my book thats bad decisions making, not really much different than cheating on your wife and getting a divorce over it. It's the law so my opinion doesnt really matter, it's just one of the thing's that bothers me about our system.

Comment

Originally posted by wyliescrib View Post
                  got into a huge discussion around the campfire the other night about a felon and his use of a wepon to hunt... there is a lot of confusion about this and was wondering if any of you guys KNOW what the law is.... for what its worth most thought it was ok for a felon to be able to use a bow or crossbow but not a firearm... but some even thought a muzzle loader would be ok..... if i could find out before next weekend i might be able to win a few beers around the fire..... thanks for your help....
                  Muzzle loaders are ok. So are Xbows. This is coming from my dad. Doing life hard time.

Comment

I cant say I totally disagree, I just dont see why a kid that steals a car get's the same lifelong continued punishment as a man that murder's a family. I know it's the law and everyone has to abide by it, but some folk's are just guilty by association, in my book thats bad decisions making, not really much different than cheating on your wife and getting a divorce over it. It's the law so my opinion doesnt really matter, it's just one of the thing's that bothers me about our system.
                    Agreed.

Your right its in there and it is what it is... no system is perfect all having our flaws.

I understand what your saying too, it sucks for that kid that steals a car, but now that kid is an example of right and wrong to other kids. I even feel the same way you do, but the fact is the law doesnt "feel" It is just as it is written.

Comment

Hopefullyand prayerfully by the grace of God, Christ Jesus has died for my sins. He said he would put them away as far as the east is from the west and that he would not remember them anymore. Christ did die for sin.

Comment

I was convicted of a felony in '02 (first and only time I ever got in trouble). I have done my time and all probation etc. I made a mistake and have learned from it; but I will not let that get me down.

I will continue to hunt by legal means. I will (if needed) use my wife's firearm (she took ownership of my existing ones) to protect my family. I will continue to go hunt and watch my children, grandpa, friends, etc. shoot and kill deer, hogs, dove, turkey, whatever (as long as I am not in possession of "said" firearm) That is my right.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter77 View Post
                          i was convicted of a felony in '02 (first and only time i ever got in trouble). I have done my time and all probation etc. I made a mistake and have learned from it; but i will not let that get me down.

I will continue to hunt by legal means. I will (if needed) use my wife's firearm (she took ownership of my existing ones) to protect my family. I will continue to go hunt and watch my children, grandpa, friends, etc. Shoot and kill deer, hogs, dove, turkey, whatever (as long as i am not in possession of "said" firearm) that is my right.
                          x10

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                            they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?
                            yes because people who haven't been convicted are better decision makers....

hope and change.... just sayin

Comment

Even a convicted felon can possess a firearm after 5 years from release but only in his home.

Trailboss

Comment

Quote-Sorry but I have to disagree for wanting felons to vote, they have proven to be poor decision makers. Why would you want them to decide things for our country? Or even own firearms?
                                Im sure that some fellows are changed and are good people. Fact is most are not and laws are made for the masses not the few!

If felons have proven to be bad decision makers and should not vote, then you should put the pregnate teens and the boys involved in the same boat!. A bad decision is a bad deciscion no matter what the circumstance is. MOST felons learn their lesson at an early age and never make another mistake in their lives that could land them in prison. This does not mean they are bad people. They are just like everyone else on here that shares the same passion for hunting and the outdoors. Sometimes a wake up call is in order to figure out reality. Sorry had to vent, just don"t agree with the system or some statements.

Comment

Working...
                                X