No announcement yet.

.45 v 10mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For general purpose I would say the .45 if you don't reload or mind having to mail order ammo.

If you reload or like to stock up then the 10mm is a superior cartridge from a ballistics perspective. You can load it mild or wild which you can't really do with .45 acp.

But .45 is a lower pressure cartridge that is not as hard on the gun and ammo is much easier to find.

10mm is a magnum round that can be downloaded. .45 will never be a magnum round.
    Last edited by vortech347; 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

10mm ammo is hard to find and expensive ,but it will put the stank on em...

Comment

I do the 357 with 2 snake shots followed by 4 core bons..............

Comment

I've heard a friend of mine say he doesn't like his 10mm as much as the 45 because of the recoil. Says it is accurate but painful to shoot in comparison.
          I've never shot one but I would think it's dependent on whether you are "recoil sensitive". That's PC for being a wuss

Comment

Originally posted by vortech347 View Post
            If you reload or like to stock up then the 10mm is a superior cartridge from a ballistics perspective. You can load it mild or wild which you can't really do with .45 acp.
            Not entirely correct. I load 45 super for my 1911. There is an 18lb to 24lb spring conversion available to convert a 45 to 45 super and the 230gr bullets will be zipping along at 1150pfs according to my chrono from a standard 5" barrel.
            Now you have to be sure the gun is rated for this conversion.
            I did it to my Kimber and also to my RIA 45's.
            I've never shot a 10mm but I think I know what it feels like

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Phil View Post
              Personally I prefer the 45ACP. Same basic size as a 10mm but travels a little slower so there is less chance of over penetration. Also, you can pick up 45ACP pretty much anywhere.

If I remember what I read the FBI was the first agency to adopt the 10mm but they ran into problems with over penetration and soon switched to the 40SW.

On the lease I always carry my .357 with snake shot and a speed loader with jacketed hollow points.
              the real problem was female and wimpy men who could not handle the recoil of the full power 10,, there were already a couple of different loads but the fbi down loaded the cartridge until it was not even a 10mm power level, since it was so downloaded, there was no need for the larger case, which is what lead to the 40,, plus because of the smaller case, it would fit smaller guns and smaller hands!

both rounds are very good but for hunting the 10mm is clearly superior, the 45 as already stated is certainly easier to find ammo for,, for defense both are great choices but the 10mm has enough power to even take deer at 100 yards, and the accuracy needed to do it

Comment

Like has been said, the 10mm is ballistically superior hands down. Ammo is harder to find and slightly more expensive, both of which are negated if you reload. There are more weapon choices with the 45 but Glock makes both and that's all you really need.

Comment

20 or 29?

Comment

I have both but carry the 20 at the lease and the 29 for concealed carry.

The 20 will give the best velocity, especially if you get a 6" barrel for it.

Comment

For ranch work, I have the 45 with rat shot up the pipe, followed by by talons...still, I so want a 10mm

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        I have both but carry the 20 at the lease and the 29 for concealed carry.

The 20 will give the best velocity, especially if you get a 6" barrel for it.
                        Do you put any stock in the "c" models. Or just something to get dirt in

Comment

10mm by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                            Do you put any stock in the "c" models. Or just something to get dirt in
                            None of mine are the compensated models and it's really not needed. But to each his own. My BIL bought the compensated model. I would rather spend that extra $$ on night sights, or a good gun mounted flashlight instead. On my 20 that I carry hunting I have night sights (TruGlo TFO), Streamlight TLR-1, and a Crimson Trace laser on it. I carry it in a Don Hume thigh holster that allows me to keep the light mounted to the gun and carry an extra mag.

I shoot Double Tap 200 grain controlled expansion rounds in it.

How's that for a NASCAR'esque infomercial?

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              For ranch work, I have the 45 with rat shot up the pipe, followed by by talons...still, I so want a 10mm
                              What are you waiting for moneybags?

A Dan Wesson VBOB has your name ALL over it.

Comment

Could you shoot 40cal rat shot in the 10mm??

I'm talking only for the first shot...would there be enough umphh to cycle the action for the next pick up (conventional round)

to me, rat shot is a must for the first shot in a ranch pistol.

Comment

Working...
                                X