.45 v 10mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Pass on the Kimber. There are much better pistols in 10mm than the Kimber.
    Agree. There seems to be a lot of love for Kimbers on this site which tells me that a lot of posters do not know of all the quality control issues that Kimber has had.

If your going to drop 1k + on a 10mm look at a Dan Wesson, Fusion, Colt or some of the higher end brands like Wilson.

Comment

You can look at all the ballistics or listen to the gun nuts. Here's my skinny the 45ACP is the most battle proven round and is still in combat but your not going into combat. The 10MM is as big, faster and will do a lot of damage but unless your trying to completely blow the crap out of anything it's an overkill. Do yourself a favor the 45ACP is common and some what affordable so get yourself a 1911 and a have some fun.

Comment

FWIW,
        Last year after buying the 10 I did a penetration test between the 10 in Hornady 180gr, 10 in Winchester 175's, .380 ACP is some old reload hollow point, .45 ACP in a hornady hollow point round, winchester .45 colt in winchester silvertip and a .40 in 140 gr winchester hollow point. ( I didn't bring a nine or 44 mag along, but should have) .

The test medium was catalogs, magazines and phone books taped tight inside a card board shot, about 10-12" thick overall.

Each entry hole was labeled after the shot from each pistol.

I did the unveiling at work in front of other gun tinkerers.

What we found was no doubt the 10 went deeper, not all the way through- but easily 3/4" (silvertips- win 175's- but they completely disintegrated) to 1" deeper for the 10 Hornady 180's- which had a decent mushroom and weight retention.

The .40 went the second deepest.
        The .45ACP and .45 colt were about equal in depth

The .380 shocked us all, yes it traveled the least- but the amount it did travel was impressive in itself- especially considering that it was an old (at least 12 yo) open faced hollow point reload - not the newer hot stuff out there today.

I know this isn't a scientific test and the results don't mean squat- but I figured before I hauled the stuff to the recycle bin I could at least poke some holes in it .

I did this test twice with the same results.

I then did a rifle round test and blew the back end out of the box before I could even get started- rifle rounds are a hole different animal

Comment

Originally posted by Harphd View Post
          You can look at all the ballistics or listen to the gun nuts. Here's my skinny the 45ACP is the most battle proven round and is still in combat but your not going into combat. The 10MM is as big, faster and will do a lot of damage but unless your trying to completely blow the crap out of anything it's an overkill. Do yourself a favor the 45ACP is common and some what affordable so get yourself a 1911 and a have some fun.
          10mm overkill? Seriously? What exactly does that mean? Are you saying the 10mm kills them deader than the 45ACP? I have killed a few pigs with my 45 and with my 10mm. The 45 will kill them but I have had even small pigs take multiple shots from a 45 before they die. 90% + of my 10mm shots are one shot kills.

He already said ammo availability is not a factor.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

I own .40, .45, .357, and 10mm. I carry a subcompact 10mm (Glock 29) for concealed carry and a full sized 10mm on the ranch. I vote 10mm...and there isn't even a close second place. The versatility and the "knock down power" is unmatched.

Comment

The 10MM is as big, faster and will do a lot of damage but unless your trying to completely blow the crap out of anything it's an overkill.
              The whole point of shooting something is to blow the holy crap out of it so it doesn't get back up. There is no such thing as overkill!!!

Comment

The 45ACP is the most combat proven pistol round to date and is still in service today but your not going in to battle. The 10MM is as big but faster and will tear up bout anything it hits. But in my opinion get yourself a good 1911 in 45ACP from any of the numerous manufactures. The .45 is common, relatively inexpensive and the choice of .45 are unlimited

Comment

Working...
                X