Pizzed off, Frustrated rant therapy post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I was watching YouTube videos on target panic while shooting a compound, and found one about target panic and shooting traditional. Try as I did, I can't seem to find it again. I did what he suggested, and the last 3 times I've gone to the 3d range, I'm shooting better than I ever did before. If it matters, I shot a Sarrels recurve, 3 fingers under, anchor high on the side of my nose so the arrow is below my right eye, and close my left eye (right handed- left eye dominant and too uncoordinated to shoot left handed at this point in my life). I sight down the arrow for left/ right aiming, and both shoot instinctively for elevation but I'm conscious of where my tip is for gap shooting if that makes sense.

What he said was that when you shoot eventually drawing, anchoring and releasing becomes a subconscious process- your brain goes on 'auto pilot'. The problem is if you let your subconscious control the release, your body will react in anticipation to the release.

He said when you get to full draw and anchor, say to yourself "Here I go" to force you out of the auto pilot and into control. Then release and follow through. Pretty simple, but I'm shooting much, much better with that simple change in my shooting dynamics.
    I would believe this. Wish I could help you find this video as I’d like to watch it. I use a similar technique when playing racquet sports in order to “keep my eye on the ball” as I naturally tend to pull my head up too early. Never occurred to me that a similar technique could be helpful in improving shooting accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      I was watching YouTube videos on target panic while shooting a compound, and found one about target panic and shooting traditional. Try as I did, I can't seem to find it again. I did what he suggested, and the last 3 times I've gone to the 3d range, I'm shooting better than I ever did before. If it matters, I shot a Sarrels recurve, 3 fingers under, anchor high on the side of my nose so the arrow is below my right eye, and close my left eye (right handed- left eye dominant and too uncoordinated to shoot left handed at this point in my life). I sight down the arrow for left/ right aiming, and both shoot instinctively for elevation but I'm conscious of where my tip is for gap shooting if that makes sense.

What he said was that when you shoot eventually drawing, anchoring and releasing becomes a subconscious process- your brain goes on 'auto pilot'. The problem is if you let your subconscious control the release, your body will react in anticipation to the release.

He said when you get to full draw and anchor, say to yourself "Here I go" to force you out of the auto pilot and into control. Then release and follow through. Pretty simple, but I'm shooting much, much better with that simple change in my shooting dynamics.
      Sounds like Joel Turners shot IQ. I went to his clinic a d it changed my shooting.

Comment

30 years of this game has seen me have years I almost wanted to quit but I have tightened my problems to just a few things. Not getting to my anchor, losing focus on my spot, not keeping my bow arm strong and not releasing with back tension that comes back to my anchor issue. Shooting is fun but over shooting gives you bad habits. Last year trying to extend my range for aoudad was exhausting but ended up good for my short game. I start close then extend and finish back short. Always finish on good shot. Shoot kneeling sitting standing and from tripod. When things go to hell I go to 6 yards and shoot eyes closed for technique only. It is a challenge but hard not to love. Nothing better when you juice em just right. Hang in there and return to basics when things go awry.

Comment

Get G. Fred Asbell's books and read them. The last "Advanced traditional Archery" pretty much sums it up. Last chapter is some exercises to build bow strength. Also, shot one bow that fits you and get consistent, don't jump back and forth between bows to solve the problem.
          Last edited by Wudstix; 07-17-2023, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Joel Turner video.

Comment

Working...
            X