No announcement yet.

Pizzed off, Frustrated rant therapy post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't hardly shoot my trad bow anymore BUT back in the day I played a game with myself that really helped me get solid at anything under 30 yards.
    Grab 10 or 12 arrows and step up to 6 or 8 yards, a distance you know you wont miss.
    shoot an arrow. if you hit the 10 ring move back 3 or 4 steps and shoot another. You keep shooting and moving back until you miss. You shoot again and only move back when you are in the 10 ring. one time I might be out around 50 yards when I ran out of arrows, the next I might run out at 20. After doing this for several months I was out around 40 or more most of the time and 15 or 20 were easy to me

Comment

you need to make it fun and let your on board computer do the work! don't think,focus on a small spot and let fly. try stump shooting with judo points.
      after 30 plus yrs of off and on traditional my sweet spot is still 17 yds!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
        I can't hardly shoot my trad bow anymore BUT back in the day I played a game with myself that really helped me get solid at anything under 30 yards.
        Grab 10 or 12 arrows and step up to 6 or 8 yards, a distance you know you wont miss.
        shoot an arrow. if you hit the 10 ring move back 3 or 4 steps and shoot another. You keep shooting and moving back until you miss. You shoot again and only move back when you are in the 10 ring. one time I might be out around 50 yards when I ran out of arrows, the next I might run out at 20. After doing this for several months I was out around 40 or more most of the time and 15 or 20 were easy to me

That’s actually a great idea. I’m gonna do that

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Man, all I can say is that I completely understand!!!!!

After years and years of this trad thing being pretty easy for me, I am now struggling so bad I’m hunting with an Oneida Screaming Eagle rigged up like a recurve. Not the same as the longbow, but almost the same.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          So what happened? What caused you to go from good to bad?

Comment

Pretty sure if he knew he'd have corrected it.
            That said he shot pretty good last weekend doing things a little different. He'll be back killing with a longbow sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot a long longbow to build form. 64” plus.
              Instinctive still uses sight picture and sight alignment. Same as gap. Same as iron sight rifle. Same as putting the golf ball sight on a Glock on a bad guy.
              Bill, Skunklady and Rick already stated what else I was thinking…
              besides that…
              shoot the First Shot Challenge. Youll get to where, like DRT, you dont want to win.
              Good skilling Mr85.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-08-2023, 05:16 PM. Reason: SameSameSpake

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                So what happened? What caused you to go from good to bad?

Idk???? Maybe just oldness??? I’ve never been a super strong person. And now I’m getting older and weaker. I’m just guessing at all of it, but my form just isn’t there like it used to be. There was a time where if a critter got within 15yds of me, and I decided I wanted to kill it, it was in serious peril!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Never understood the apprehension against 3 under versus split finger if you’re not string walking.

I could never get accurate enough to hunt using split and finally tried 3 under and it was a game changer.

I get the hate on string walking especially for hunting because I like a tuned bow that gets pass throughs.

Comment

I'll say this. Between Buff and Bisch more critters have died by a single string bow than most people will ever see in the wild. Both are some of the greatest archers of my generation. Deadlier than the plague and great mentors to those of us following.
                    TBH is fortunate to have their knowledge and experience to share in.

Comment

I think that you need another bow. Yep, that will do it.

I can't see well enough to be consistent at twenty yards. When I step up a couple of steps, it all comes together. When is the last time that you had your eyes checked?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        I'll say this. Between Buff and Bisch more critters have died by a single string bow than most people will ever see in the wild. Both are some of the greatest archers of my generation. Deadlier than the plague and great mentors to those of us following.
                        TBH is fortunate to have their knowledge and experience to share in.

Agree 100%. Bisch has helped me tremendously

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                          I think that you need another bow. Yep, that will do it.

I can't see well enough to be consistent at twenty yards. When I step up a couple of steps, it all comes together. When is the last time that you had your eyes checked?
                          In September. I had LASIK done in 2012, right eye is fading a little I think it’s 20/30 or 20/35. Left eye is still money.

But I do have another bow on order, should be here end of august !

Comment

I had both lenses replaced a couple of years ago when I decided it was time to get rid of the cataracts. My left eye is 20/20 and the right is about 20/30. I have prescription glasses to correct for that very small difference in the eyes. It may not look like much on paper, but I really do notice the difference between wearing the glasses vs not wearing them. I do not wear them when I shoot. I consciously made the decision that the glasses are for reading and close work only. I had to wear glasses since age ten and fifty-seven years was long enough! If that means seventeen yards is my happy distance, then so be it. I can't run a four-minute mile either. I've just learned to live with and enjoy what the good Lord has blessed me with.

Comment

There's a lot of folk here that have been right where you're at. I can tell you right now, that the biggest inhibitors to my improvement as an archer were (are?) the words "never" and "always"...

I used to say I'd always shoot split. I used to say I'd never gap shoot. And I've had a bad tendency to think I will "never" need a coach, (or a week long break from shooting for that matter).

All those things turned out to be inhibiting factors. I am a gap shooting, 3 under hooking son of a gun (who still doesn't have a coach, but I did shell out for Tom Clum's Solid Archery Mechanics course). Am I as good as I want to be? Heck no! Am I a lot better than I was? Yep.

Trad archery is a lot like hitting in baseball... slumps are inevitable, but the good times can come back if you get good instruction and stay dedicated to your process.

Comment

Like button

Comment

Working...
                                X