Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

If you were going to hunt moose….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've hunted Newfoundland and although the moose there may be "smaller" they are still big. Not that I wouldn't shoot one with the equipment I hunt everything else with, but they are tall and thick.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      I've hunted Newfoundland and although the moose there may be "smaller" they are still big. Not that I wouldn't shoot one with the equipment I hunt everything else with, but they are tall and thick.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
      I think they are are around 1000 lbs instead of 1800 like a big Alaskan Moose. But yes, still big

Comment

Txtrophy85, don't listen to these other guys above who say they won't hunt moose with a tradbow lol. This is my dream hunt and plan on it in the future, so enjoy it!

I would hunt in the 53-55# range with my longbow.
        Shooting Easton FMJs 400 spine.
        Probably with my 250gr VPA 3-blade broadheads.
        I'd fletch my arrows with actual wild turkey fletchings, as they are more waterproof. I don't shoot well with trade vanes for some reason....Wildfletching.com

Get within 30 yards and let it rain!!

Comment

I used my Bighorn recurve, 50#, on my Shiras in Wyoming.

Comment

I'd be using my regular hunting longbow, a Talltines Stickflinger. 50@32", 500(?) gr arrows, thunderhorn Lynx quiver, and either Iron Will wides, or VPA 3 bblades (1-1/4").

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post

It may be a pipe dream because I?m still shooting like crap, but my plan is to get proficient in the next couple of months so I?m confident taking a 30 yard shot on a moose. Which I think is the realistic max range I would be shooting them at regardless of which bow I brought.

I just think it would be awesome to kill a mature bull with a recurve. Doing it old skool.
              The commitment level is up to you.
              Heat, work hours, family. They have to not factor in. Focus, practice. Focused practice.
              That said id enlist some help. Even if it is a video and help from someone who knows and understands.

Comment

I definitely agree with Gary. Getting good enough to shoot 30 yards, even at a moose, takes more than just desire and effort. It takes help and coaching to learn to do things the RIGHT way. Bad practice will give bad results.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                  I definitely agree with Gary. Getting good enough to shoot 30 yards, even at a moose, takes more than just desire and effort. It takes help and coaching to learn to do things the RIGHT way. Bad practice will give bad results.
                  Too many equate a bigger kill zone to more room to shoot less accurately. That is a recipe for regrets.

Comment

I was told to practice for 40 yard shots! I don’t plan to take a shot that far but I am practicing out to 40. I plan to kill him at 10 yards and close to the rivers edge lol

trumpkin, I’m having a TallTines StickFlinger built for my moose hunt

Comment

I just got my Tall Tines riser back with the new limbs. It looks pretty dang good. I'm not going to string it up until after Africa but it looks great.

Comment

Working...
                      X