Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were going to hunt moose….

What would your set up look like ?

Last edited by kenner27; 06-04-2023, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I probably wouldn't with a trad bow. Honestly that is a helluva an investment to trust I could get a sub 20 yard shot. Don't think I could live with myself with a 55" bull 40 yards across the river I could have killed with my Carbon Spyder walking off because I was carrying a longbow.
      Knowing my luck though the shot I'd get would be 8 yards . . . And I'd regret not carrying my camo Primal Tech.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        I probably wouldn't with a trad bow. Honestly that is a helluva an investment to trust I could get a sub 20 yard shot. Don't think I could live with myself with a 55" bull 40 yards across the river I could have killed with my Carbon Spyder walking off because I was carrying a longbow.
        Knowing my luck though the shot I'd get would be 8 yards . . . And I'd regret not carrying my camo Primal Tech.

A 30 yard shot on a moose with a trad bow is doable.

Rut hunt and you can call them in close

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
          A 30 yard shot on a moose with a trad bow is doable.

Rut hunt and you can call them in close
          Well, that may happen. Then again I know guys who have been multiple times and not gotten them. However they are in a higher tax bracket than I am. A $20,000 or more hunt would be once in a lifetime for me. I'm stacking my odds.

Comment

I shouldn't admit it but when we were young we would sneak up on moose and shoot them with rubber blunts from our recurves and longbows for target practice. They would often just give us the evil eye and saunter off. It's not exactly like deer hunting fellas.

Comment

Well I’m still waiting on my 52# longbow to be built. 50# minimum at your draw in Alaska. But I’ll have an arrow that weighs at least 600grains and I’m testing some Simmons Swamp Sharks on hogs this summer to decide what head I’ll use.

Comment

.300 Win Mag

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                  I shouldn't admit it but when we were young we would sneak up on moose and shoot them with rubber blunts from our recurves and longbows for target practice. They would often just give us the evil eye and saunter off. It's not exactly like deer hunting fellas.
                  Haha thats what I'm talking about!

I'm going to Eastern Canada, not Alaska or the Yukon

Maybe should have clarified that

Comment

If you were going to hunt moose….

Newfoundland???? If so, the moose are generally smaller there than inland moose. Either way, still huge critters.

I know of a guy that has killed two bull moose with a 39# at his DL supercurve recurve. I would hunt a moose with the same setup I would hunt elk. If you can kill a big boar pig with it, you can kill a moose with it!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Bisch; 06-05-2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Newfoundland???? If so, the moose are generally smaller there than inland moose. Either way, still huge critters.

I know of a guy that has killed two bull moose with a 39# at his DL supercurve recurve. I would hunt a moose with the same setup I would hunt elk. If you can kill a big boar pig with it, you can kill a moose with it!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Yes sir going to hunt Newfie moose….considerably smaller than their Yukon Cousins.

Two other guys are going rifle but this being a rut hunt I was going to take a bow. Originally was planning to take my compound but if my takedown recurve is ready by then I was thinking how cool it would be to shoot it with a trad bow

Comment

Honestly, I'm probably lying. I mean,I'm headed to Africa again in six weeks, thousands of dollars of animals on the line and what am I taking, Primal Tech long bows.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                          Yes sir going to hunt Newfie moose….considerably smaller than their Yukon Cousins.

Two other guys are going rifle but this being a rut hunt I was going to take a bow. Originally was planning to take my compound but if my takedown recurve is ready by then I was thinking how cool it would be to shoot it with a trad bow
                          Super cool. Super super cool. Cooler than the other side of the pillow, cool.

Do it.
                          And….
                          Since your buddies will have rifles, you dont need to bring yours for a last ditch killing.

Id probably take my 58# longbow and go with a 550-650gn rigged arrow.
                          Rage Hypodermic broadheadz. Jk. Jk.

Good skilling Mr85. I look forward to the LDPs.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Honestly, I'm probably lying. I mean,I'm headed to Africa again in six weeks, thousands of dollars of animals on the line and what am I taking, Primal Tech long bows.

See, fortune favors the brave!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Super cool. Super super cool. Cooler than the other side of the pillow, cool.

Do it.
                              And….
                              Since your buddies will have rifles, you dont need to bring yours for a last ditch killing.

Id probably take my 58# longbow and go with a 550-650gn rigged arrow.
                              Rage Hypodermic broadheadz. Jk. Jk.

Good skilling Mr85. I look forward to the LDPs.
                              It may be a pipe dream because I’m still shooting like crap, but my plan is to get proficient in the next couple of months so I’m confident taking a 30 yard shot on a moose. Which I think is the realistic max range I would be shooting them at regardless of which bow I brought.

I just think it would be awesome to kill a mature bull with a recurve. Doing it old skool.

Comment

Working...
                              X