Holy Hell…OUCH!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Hell…OUCH!!!

In 46 years of shooting compound bows, I’ve never had this happen.

I grabbed the Wes Wallace earlier and stepped into my back yard to shoot. Launched one and it was a fairly good shot. Launched the second one and my life flashed before my eyes. Arrow broke in half. Bow came apart. (Well the string came off but it seemed worse). Pain in my left arm started immediately. Both halves of the arrow ended up about 20’ in front of me.

I’ve thought and thought about it, and I cannot say for sure what happened. I know the arrow broke and I know my arm hurt. Anything else is just a guess. Did the arrow just fail, causing the other issues? Did I torque the bow? Did I????? I have no idea.

Oh well. My arm hurts a bit. My pride hurts a bit. The bow seems fine. I’m just not sure what the lesson learned is because I just really don’t know what happened.

Good thing I had an arm guard on. Coulda been worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Glad it wasn’t worse!

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
        Glad it wasn’t worse!
        Amen! Someone was watching out for "the dude"

Comment

WOW~ prayers up dude

Comment

Holy Hell…OUCH!!!

I’m betting the arrow was cracked from being hit by another arrow or something like that. You are lucky you didn’t end up with a piece of carbon arrow in your arm!

I was on my first hunt in Africa. I don’t think the PH had ever seen a trad bow in person. After I had killed a couple critters, and while practicing at camp one day, he came up and said he wanted to try my bow. He took one shot. His arm looked just like yours. He said he didn’t want to shoot anymore and walked away muttering in Afrikaan under his breath!!! He never asked to shoot my bow again.

Hope you heal up quick, that looks like it hurt like h-e-double-l!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Bisch; 05-23-2023, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Dang glad it wasn't a worst outcome

Comment

Ouch!
                Used to do that frequently in my younger days when I was chasing speed with a compound, but it was more on my forearm. Short brace height, 83 lbs, and about a 1 1/2” too long draw.
                But that Hoyt Smoke was fast in the 90s.

Comment

Ouch freakin ouch!!!

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yikes!

Comment

Sheeeeesh…that’s terrible man!

Comment

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him with a Graffalloy arrow. His was cracked and I bet yours was too. Get well soon and be sure to flex those arrows before shooting them.

Comment

Jeff - I have never seen anything like this happen. I guess when a arrow breaks like that, you are essentially dry firing your bow and I guess the string would be more likely to hit your arm if you dry fired it. I wonder if a string usually comes off a dry fired bow?

Will be interesting to see if anyone has an idea about what might have happened.

If you have been shooting groups, do you think might have hit the arrow that broke with another arrow?

Glad you were not hurt worse!

Comment

There's a good bow tech in your neck of the woods.

Comment

That picture makes me want to give away my Black Eagle Vintage arrows…

Comment

Working...
                              X