No announcement yet.

Going Primal in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beauty horns - sounds like a great shot.

Comment

Congrats Gary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good job!
        Them trackers over there can be amazing!

Comment

There was a pile of dirt and leaves snowplowed in front and on the horns. Died on the dead run,

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

We are trapped on the road walking in watching a group of Eland at our blind as the sun rises over South Africa. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220906_063655_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	24692036

Comment

Originally posted by helical View Post
              beauty horns - sounds like a great shot.
              Not a great shot but not one is expect an animal to go that far. Front of both lungs had holes in them, both front shoulders had holes blown through them. Is what it is though and given how much Impala move as the arrow flies it's amazing to get a good shot. I aimed to hit 4" below it's chest to hit it in the bottom third of it's shoulder.
              I wouldn't have expected a gut shot Wildebeest to lay down and die in sight either.
              I'm just grateful to a young PH with obviously exceptional tracking skills.
              Last edited by DRT; 09-05-2022, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
                Congrats Gary! Looking forward to hearing how the wildebeest blackstraps are!
                I can tell you Hartebeest backstrap is dang good!!!

Comment

So just as a catch up, day one was a long day. Low on sleep for many hunters although I passed out on the plane and for a bit on the drive up. A hold up at the airport sorting lost luggage and stolen camera equipment for a couple other hunters. But sleep in a cold tent for me sharing a space with the lead PH.
                  Then up with the rooster crowing and lower back screaming.
                  Things going slow at first but the day ended with blood already spilled and hopes rising.

Day two was slower than we all hoped, including Louis, the outfitter, and some of us wondered if Impala were to fast to kill with a trad bow. But the food was pretty good, the company real good and we all started to see that not everyone was going to be over run with animals all the time but chances would happen.

Some shooting in camp and learning about your new hunting friends as well as enjoying how the staff communicates in multiple languages. Was I concerned about the hunting being slow, yes. And still am. But I think everyone has had shots and we have half the trip left.

Day three brought more disappointment for one hunter as we did a walk through of a pasture for a Kudu he had shot on day two. Apparently the neck shot has sliced the esophagus as it stops periodically and vomits up blood. I feel bad for the animal and the hunter.
                  Day three also brought me success on the two animals included in my package. A mixture of lows and highs emotionally and relief and exhaustion after a day starting at 4am and ending at 11:30pm.
                  Also brought me some feel good in camp. One hunter who had bright two long bows, like 72" long bows, realized they were too long in the blinds and was trying out spare bows others had brought. He had already missed an Impala and was struggling with a 60lb selfbow another hunter had brought. So I offered him to shoot my three piece PT and he was popping bulls immediately so I have two of my bows hunting at the same time now. Hopefully he can score with it!

Now here we are at day 4, me looking for targets of opportunity like Gemsbok or Kudu or Bushbuck or Waterbuck or warthogs or . . . And hope renewed by another South African sunrise.

Comment

Never know what will come to the water . . .Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220906-083658.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24692037

Comment

Success with my Primal Tech!!!! Congratulations Terry!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220906-WA0019(1).jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	24692038

Last edited by DRT; 09-06-2022, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you're having a blast over there Gary! Congrats on two bows getting bloody!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                          Sounds like you're having a blast over there Gary! Congrats on two bows getting bloody!
                          Honestly it's been a rollercoaster ride mentally or emotionally or whatever. Action slower than the outfitter can stand but has been improving. But first blowing a shot, then next try worse. But that animal dies in a few yards. Then make a pretty darn good shot and have an animal run that far, wondering if you lost another one? Stressful. That said I'm really happy to be here and hoping to keep piling up the bill.

Comment

We are waiting. The PH, Soutie on the left and my fellow hunters Todd, on the right are in a big, comfortable, elevated blind over a big water hole. The only one in this area. High expectations! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220906_152602_HDR.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	24692041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220906_152914_HDR.jpg
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	24692042

Comment

I got to video a good kill tonight. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220906_172155_HDR.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	24692064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220906_174926_HDR.jpg
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	24692067

Comment

Congrats to all.

Comment