In Honor Of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    Plus as skinny as he is he looks like one of the tree trunks.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
    Hey now! I weigh a solid 202-205 lbs, depending on the day... It's not my fault I'm tall!

Comment

There wasn’t a tree I saw on that place that would make me blend in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
        There wasn’t a tree I saw on that place that would make me blend in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        X2

Comment

Plus as skinny as he is he looks like one of the tree trunks.

Easy Big Fella.
          Malachi aint built like a scrub hackberry. He has gone beefcake and built like an oak.

I got to shoot the bow and put on a squirrel stalk when Malachi came out to do a field gear check in my trees. Super sweet shooter. He was up a tree and lowered the bow to descend and I ran off with the bow. No squirrel.

I think it might need some dampeners on the limbs. Malachi frowned at the idea.

Comment

Yeah some guys like it all natural. Me, I'd rather have mine as quiet as I can.

Comment

Yeah some guys like it all natural. Me, I'd rather have mine as quiet as I can.

It's quiet. Byron's just picking up a little vibration in the riser. You can't hear it at the shot. Especially if I shoot my widow first!

Comment

I'm 85% deaf in my left ear and I think my bow is loud. So I put dampeners on it. Still loud. Yet I don't have much issue with it hunting. Unless it's just really still. But I'm pretty sure they hear that arrow hissing towards them.

Comment

Well, I chickened out... I had a skunk at 10 yards, oblivious to my presence, and I couldn't do it! I reached full draw TWICE, and couldn't let it rip. Just wasn't brave enough to let the TallTines claim its first victim. Been second guessing that one today. I've heard a heartshot skunk often won't spray, but I got cold feet.

I also had a momma and her (still spotted) fawn come through around 40 yards out, and I'm glad it wasn't closer, cause I probably would have shot momma and never known the fawn was with her!

It looks like I'm in a fairly target rich env though, and I have a spot that lines up as a killer midmorning spot. It's pretty far back, which is why I haven't hunted it yet. But there's does and pigs to be chased!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2293.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	24695684

Name:	IMG_2291.PNG
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	24695685

Name:	IMG_2290.PNG
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	24695686

Name:	IMG_2292.PNG
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	24695687

Name:	IMG_2289.PNG
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	24695688

Comment

Awesome! Get some.

No fault for not killing the summer polecat. A winter killing might yield a decent trophy pelt.

Comment

Stay with it. You'll do it proud.

Comment

Well, I kinda let this post slip for a few months. Figured I should post one more time and wrap it up.

Some of y'all know I had a bunch of health stuff pop up, and I didn't get to hunt at all till December. I'm not going to do a blow by blow of the season, but I hunted 12 days in December. Really put the pedal to the metal trying to get first blood for this bow. As DRT was quick to point out, I put quite a bit of pressure on myself when I first posted this thread, after all.

Well, it's the new year now, and the bow is needing some TLC. String is all fuzzed up, there's cobwebs and dried mud on the limbs, the quiver needs some tightening, and the owner is looking worse than the bow. I have bags under my eyes, my limbs feel like lead today, and a bunch of minor aches and pains are reminding me I'm not 20 years old any more, nor am I fully healthy.

But dang it, I finally got it done! Started things off on Dec 31st by putting an arrow through a big stinky boar at 30 yards. Yes, that's a long ways off, but one of the little guys busted me while I was stalking the sounder, and it was do or die. The arrow... did not look great:

Name:	IMG_2599.jpg
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	24701796

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	24701797

The blood trail was even worse, as in nonexistent. I'm pretty sure it was a liver and guts hit, based on the shot, and based on the arrow. With a deer, I'd be fairly confident they'd be bedded up and dead within 200 yards after the couple hours I gave the hit. But pigs are different... and I never found the guy. You'll just have to believe me that he was a big one.

That evening though, I finally broke the dry spell! Got into a rabbit rich environment while walking out from hunting a mesquite flat, and I capitalized. Then I did it again the next night.

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	24701798

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	24701799

I told y'all right at the start it might take small game to get things done, and that's exactly what happened. Happy New Year, everyone. Let's try not to take this year for granted. Randy, you're still in my thoughts and prayers sir.

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	24701800

Comment

Stay on that road to good health. I'm glad your season has a very positive ending.
                          Now, go back and find that sounder . . .

Comment

Looks like you finished strong Trumpkin - well done.

Comment

He ain't done yet . . .

Comment

He ain't done yet . . .

Indeed... though the fat lady is fully warmed up now!

Got out on Saturday for the extended doe season. Scouted new ground as usual, and found some smoking hot deer sign. Grabbed the last available seat in the house so to speak (There were zero good trees to hunt the X). Threw my stand up as a ground seat with a grown over fencerow as my back cover, and settled in. Desperate times call for desperate measures after all.

Anyways, it nearly worked. I had 4 does come in according to script. I held rock still according to script. The wind was great, just like the director ordered... but the dadgum diva of a lead doe had to make a stink about my costume! She pegged me at 25 yards, and proceeded to lead the whole cast on a 20 minute freestyle dance around me, featuring lots of head bobs and foot stomps, and half hearted wheezing. It woulda been hilarious if I hadn't been so keen to kill one of them!

It didn't work out, so I busted another rabbit on my way back to the truck.

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	24704016

Name:	69480221772__1CFE2B30-3108-441B-9CDB-FC5E22F3B6C0.jpg
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	24704017

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg