No announcement yet.

Welcome to my world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bout all I got today guys is WET!! My goal today was to see how long it would take me to get COMPLETELY SOAKED!! Got in stand bout 2:45, it started raining by a little after 3:00, and didn't quit till bout 15 mins from last shooting light. I sure was thankful that I had left my plaid fleece jacket "bed-rolled" to the bottom of my pack! Cuz, even though it wasn't cold, by the time I was wet to the core, I sure was glad to put it on! I kept thinkin, "when it stops, they're gonna get to moving.." No such luck today. Hunted Hardwood Hill stand where I actually laid eyes on Lopside last year. This type of weather is almost as frustrating as it was at the end of Oct. when it was mid to upper 80's for sooo many days. And by "this type", I mean, sticky, damp, heavy, air. That, combined with the fact it's still mid 70's, always makes movement round my neck of the woods very slow. You can have a mid 70's bluebird clear day, with low humidity, with it getting noticeably cooler as the evening wears on, and I will almost always see deer. Oh well, gettin skunked is all part of the game, maybe things will pic up. Not sure bout tomorrow, other than, if I have the same conditions, I'll prob skip. Course when tomorrow eve actually starts gettin close... Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Maybe you'll have better luck tomorrow!! You're putting your time in, that's for sure. You'll get him.

Comment

Well, I lied!! Couldn't stand it, had to go get after em. After I shut and locked gate, got back in truck, and started driving down the hill... I see this Yes, I was running later than I like, but, maybe they're moving!
        Attached Files

Comment

Get outta the truck, get geared up, sprayed down, and head out. This pic is heading down the hill out of the hay meadow, into where the woods, and grown up field starts. The green "road" you see in the background is my shredded/disced path that has sprung up with volunteer native greens
          Attached Files

Comment

Turning the last bend of the green road to the Taj Majl stand. Two of the saplings you see on the right had fresh scrapes under them...
            Attached Files

Comment

Made it! This is the ancient, huge oak that Taj is in. Several years ago, I would always watch deer travel this grown up field and pass within bow range of this towering ol boy. So, worked long and hard to clear bout 3/4 of an acre right in amongst this grown up mess. It became one of my plots, and the mighty oak has a treated wood stand in the main fork, with gigantic limbs in all directions. I had to do lotsa trimming to have shots in just 2 directions, but, they are fair sized shootin "windows". I'm usually not big on "permanent" stands, but, I have come to discover, that if you have a spot that has consistent natural deer movement by it, and a massive tree with lots of forks to put one, its a dang good idea!! By "natural movement" I mean, the first couple a years I hunted this spot, there was no food plot. But, I saw plenty of deer anyway. Its an awesome place to sit, the platform is big enough (5/4 boards) you can slowly "walk" to one side, and look out that fork "window".. Go to the other side, and do the same, etc. And with the thicket in all directions, they usually feel plenty comfortable. The green in the front is the SE part of the plot that loops around the tree. If you zoom in, you can see it in the biggest "main" fork...
              Attached Files

Comment

This is lookin NW out of one "window". The gray bushes in the middle of pic (I think) are wild plums. I have tons of em on my place...
                Attached Files

Comment

This is lookin E, you can see the edge of thicket bout 30 yds away. All you can do is hear a critter in there, until they get right to the edge. So, you better be paying attention, trust me, many times I would look away, look back, and a deer would be fixing to step out Especially on those wet, cant hear em walking days! Sorry bout the blurry pic! Hey, it aint been that long ago I couldn't even post a pic, much less one that was right side up
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is lookin out one of my best shootin windows kinda SE. This spot is where I shot Shinbone last year while he was after a lady friend. Shot was just to the left of big limb. Even though I thought I HAD to go huntin today, I had a feeling it may be crappy. Humidity was 70-80%, deer are starting their winter coats, usually equals, not a lot of movement. You give me the same temp, 65 deg, light north wind I had today, and LOW humidity, I'll almost betcha I see deer. I may be crazy, but, that's been my experience. I keep records in a notebook every year, with temp, wind speed/direction, moon phase, cloudy or sunny, raining, oh well, you get the picture. And without fail this will be the case. I also write how many deer, other game seen, what time seen, which direction they came from, went to, buck or doe, and if they were in bow range...etc. Would also right a story bout each hunt bout what went down, how the deer were acting, and anything else I felt was important. I know, I know, I get a little carried away! But its kinda neat to read bout a hunt that took place years ago, and feel like youre right there again! Also, you might be amazed at how movement tendencies repeat themselves Sorry for boring ya with the novel...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Those types of records work for fishing as well.

Comment

That's a great looking spot!! I like the idea of keeping notes too. I didn't get on the trad forum much last year...did you post a pic of the buck you killed there?

Comment

And... Finally, lookin almost due N, to the far end of plot. You can see thicket on right, and where it goes around N end of plot. I see prob 75% of my deer come from this direction. Bout 30 mins after I got climbed up, it started showering AGAIN!! But, it didn't last but 10-15 mins this eve, and it wasn't near as hard when it was rainin. Yesterdays 2 1/2 hour soaking was enough for me for awhile. Not so much me, as it ticks me to get my bow, string, feathers, and everything else sopped!! Usually, I have me a bread sack for my feathers, but, hadn't packed it yet this year when yesterdays deluge set in. Well guys, that's bout it, I figured you've already gathered I got skunked Oh well, no biggie, it was nice just sittin in that old tree, enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells, the Lord provides to us each day if we'll just pay attention! Did hear 2 different flocks of geese go "honking" over though, that just makes guys like us know... Its gettin "that time" Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys! And yes, Ryan, it's in last years Trad Harvest thread. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                              Thanks guys! And yes, Ryan, it's in last years Trad Harvest thread. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                              I went back and found it. That was a great deer!!

Comment

Well, went after em this eve guys! Got in stand bout 2:45, Swamp Ladder, and settled in. It was a nice cool eve, and it just had "that feel" to it Hadnt even cooled down good from the walk in, when I heard foot steps in the leaves... At right at 3:20, I saw a buck, with good horns, coming straight to me from the north through the thick stuff. Went ahead and stood up, got my bow in hand, and got ready. He was prob bout 75 yds out at this time, but with the cedars, vines, and all the other stuff, still didn't know if it was one I was gonna shoot. Finally got to where I could see him... Ol Curly! He ended up bout 8 yds from my tree, eatin on acorns, as well as walkin round with his nose to the ground, checkin for the ladies. I wanted to get a good pic with my phone, but still had bow in hand, phone in pocket Didn't want to do anything stupid with him that close, calm winds, and bright woods. I could hear him breathing when he would vacuum scent up in his nose off the dried leaves. Even though I wasn't gonna try to shoot him, I wasn't gonna spook him either! He stayed around CLOSE for bout 10 mins, then eased on the creek to the south. I was just staring at all the different shots I had while he was there in bow range. Good practice for when the time DOES come, I reckon I didn't end up seeing any more deer, but, the one close encounter was enough for me! I'm going to go either midday Sat, or Sun, after church, and cut and wire some bushy cedar limbs around this ladder platform area. I haven't been picked off yet, with older bucks in range 3 different times, but I haven't drawn/shot yet either. You prob know what I'm talkin bout when I say "I just feel a tad exposed.." Don't get me wrong, it's on a big oak, with some limbs to break ya up, but to really put it over the top, a buncha bushy cedar limbs would take it to the next level! Oh, almost forgot, I've hunted Swamp Ladder three times, and had Curly in range on 2 of those hunts. Along with a doe on another, and Jake Spoon on the first time I saw Curly. One lone buck may not sound like much, but, it was an awesome day in the deer woods! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Working...
                                X