Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

I scouted a new property the other day and I put out a trail cam. I pulled the card this afternoon and to my surprise I had 5 bucks on cam in 3 days. 3 that are legal. And one of them was this big boy. A HECK of a deer for these parts.
    This spot is in a funnel on the edge of 2 hay fields. I can easily access the area from down wind ect..... I know all that. That's not my concern. My concern is, I wanna go in and shoot a doe or 2 (got daylight pics of several does) before bow season is over and the rut gets in full swing. Am I taking a chance of messing things up and blowing a chance at this buck (or any legal buck) by going in and taking a doe? What y'all think?

Crap, pics would be nice! Lol

He's got something going on with his right side, but I like some character!!!

Comment

Very mature buck. Good luck hunting him.

Comment

Dang nice buck, Randy! I have no idea as to the answer to your question, but i have killed does early from the same strands that I later killed bucks from.

Bisch

Comment

Go hunt and have fun. If you see a doe and want to take it, take it. Good luck! That is a cool looking buck.

Comment

Not me...I'd be hunting him and only him. You have all season to take a doe, but maybe another week or two before he catches wind of a hot doe two counties over.

Comment

Man he's a tank!! My first thought is if you pressure him much he may leave, so you may wanna pass on does and hunt him. But a big mature deer like that you're best bet for killing him anyway will probably be in the rut so it may not hurt a thing to slip in and shoot a doe or two. Let us know how it goes, I'd love to see you get him!!

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                Not me...I'd be hunting him and only him. You have all season to take a doe, but maybe another week or two before he catches wind of a hot doe two counties over.
                Yeah, but that's the problem: in antler restriction counties you can only shoot a doe during the archery-only season. Right, Randy?

Comment

They changed our regulations this year for the county I live in. We can take 2 does during archery season and the first 2 weeks of rifle season. But I have another place I go that I can take does at till the end of regular season as well.

Comment

Be oppurtunistic and shoot what comes out and gives you a shot. If he isnt there when you shoot a doe you should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunt him and him only... Wind is right - dark night - cross your fingers and toes...

Comment

I would Hunt him first

Comment

It could disturb him, mature bucks are so hard to get....I would not risk shooting a doe first...but that is me. I know guys who say you can't eat antlers and would go right after the does.

Comment

How old do y'all think he is? I was guessing 5 to 5 1/2. But i suck at aging deer.

Comment

Id say 4-4.5 at least, hope you get him before someone else does, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X