Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consistently inconsitent. I mean honestly what the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J_Foster View Post
    Junkers, did you get to shoot today? If so, how'd it go?
    I did. Woke up this morning and took a cup of coffee outside figuring I'd sip on it between shots to slow down. First shot hit within .5" of center at 15 yards. I totally smiled, collected my shaft and went back in the house to start breakfast. I have shot several times today, probably 100 arrows so far, and just as soon as I start getting off target or start plucking the string I stop and go inside to enjoy some N/A beer and a few snacks. I just needed to slllloooooowwwww doooowwwwwnnnnn.

Richard.

Comment

N/A beer? Non archery?

Comment

Well that's great to hear! Keep at it. You may be my new role model for your dedication to improving- [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          N/A beer? Non archery?
          LOL!!!!

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by J_Foster View Post
            Well that's great to hear! Keep at it. You may be my new role model for your dedication to improving- [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! To be honest though this is something that I really want to get good at. I have no intentions of competing or trying to win a trophy or anything. I just want to have the confidence to take game humanely and ethically.

Richard.

Comment

Mental fatigue.

You tried something different, it worked out great, then you brain started getting tired.

Mental fatigue.

You are shooting a lot of arrows in one string. When the first one hits and the second one hits, it is easy to get into a good rhythm. when the first one goes off, your brain starts working harder and your miss again, and again, and again.

It doesn't help get the arrow count up, but I like to limit my groups to 2. Walking up to pull them allows me to reset. To calm down. Decide what to do next... like walk back, or walk closer. I am only committed to two arrows because that is all I bring out. If I bring out 6, I am going to shoot all 6, even if I should take a break after the first 1 or 2.

What you don't want to have happen to you in the field is to overthink the shot. You don't want to think "oh I missed already, I am going to miss again." Keeping your shots down to 1-2 at a time during practice helps you think through what might be going on... when you fling arrow after arrow and don't think about it... then you develop strange habbits.

Another thing... somebody very smart on here pointed out to me. ideally, you should let your muscles rest about 1 minute or so between shots, otherwise, muscle fatigue sets in and you get sloppy from that (creep, etc.)

Because of these points, I am not a big fan of shooting more than 2, maybe 3 arrows a string. When you shoot with other people, that time gets built in automatically for you because others shoot, or you are talking, walking between shots.

Comment

I find my follow through to be most critical for my accuracy. I have not developed muscle memory yet for follow through so I have to consciously engage follow through...on the front end and back end. I like to go to the point of fatigue. An elementary school teacher once told me...Always end on a good note.

Positive note...I let one sail yesterday...and found three arrows instead of just one! I was happy happy happy! So I went inside a quit for the day...happy.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-10-2016, 09:38 AM. Reason: HappySpake

Comment

Working...
                X