Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Consistently inconsitent. I mean honestly what the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I kind of went and committed "trad adultery" by putting a piece of tape on the belly of my riser and making marks for 5, 10 and 15 yards to help me get the feel for where I should be holding with regards to elevation. It seemed to really help me get closer to where I wanted the impact and it's also helped me work on my windage as I use the arrow tip as a something out in front in the sight picture.

So today I went out to test my new "sights" and here's what happened. I sent a few three shot groups down range and they were looking GREAT!

10 yards. Most of the groups looked similar to this with a few fliers but I knew upon release if it was a good shot or not. Aiming at the blue square below the group.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25097865

Stepped back to 12 yards and shot three more, then back to 15 and three more. I think for a few brief minutes the cosmos was all lined up. Aiming at the blue +.

Name:	12 & 15.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	25097866

Then something went wrong, horribly terribly wrong. Again aiming at the blue square near the top shaft.
    15 yards.

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	25097868

Stepped back to my confidence range of 12 yards. Aiming at the blue +.

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	25097867

The rest of the day got progressively worse and at one point before I stopped shooting I had 2 shafts in the target and 4 into the back stop.

The bow is fine as I checked everything over about 6 times. Brace height didn't change..... nothing that I can figure changed. If I was still a drinking man I'd have gone to the liquor store and right now I'd be too zinged to type.

Consistently inconsistent. That's me.

Richard.

In the same boat today .... just had to walk away and hang it up. Hopefully tomorrow will better.

Comment

When this has happened to me I try to let my back rest longer between shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Me too, my release has been giving me fits. So earlier, i walked out planning to shoot for about an hour. Took the first shot at 15, missed my Hurricane target to the left by almost a foot. Retrieved my arrow and went right back in the house and continued watchin' football [emoji31].

Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
          When this has happened to me I try to let my back rest longer between shots.

^^This^^ you are fatigued from so many shots and making form mistakes. I do the same thing. I'll shoot way longeg than i should and start making bad shots. Shoot one or two arrows then pull. Take a break every half dozen or so.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Happens to everyone. When you start to get poor shots, quit for the day. There's no sense in continuing to repeat bad shooting form if you cannot correct it quickly by slowing down and focusing on your basics. Hang it up - call it a bad day and come back tomorrow.

Comment

Tired and frustrated. It doesn't take long to wear down muscles. Archery is a lot of muscle memory. Trad for sure! When you shoot, shoot a few (2-5) then step back. Don't tire out before you start your walk back. And for sure quit shooting once you get frustrated.

Comment

Same happened to me. It got to a point where I felt my tuning was off. Fish tailing arrows everywhere...

Comment

The same thing happens to be every time I attempt to gap or use sights on my trad bow.
                  I will shoot a few great groups and then start spreading them.

I believe part of it is that when I use sights I hold back longer and cannot shoot as many arrows accurately. Recurve target archers are shooting 30-40 lbs so they are not holding back hunting weight bows.

Try shooting less arrows. Or you can speed up your shot sequence which can lead to bad shooting habit.

About once a year I decide to try gap or sights and always give it up.

Comment

Junkers,
                    Have you watched the old John Schulz videos on you tube? In the second one he talks about the shot being a 4 count sequence. Like M.E.B said, you think by trying to "aim" your holding longer than need be? When I'm thinking too much about my finger hook and release, I always seem to hold way too long.
                    The more I shoot the more it reminds me of a golf swing. There are so many darn things to think about, it can start to overwhelm me. It's only when I can "get my brain out of the way" that I start shooting tight groups like the first ones you had posted, which like you said, is consistently inconsistent [emoji1]

Last edited by J_Foster; 10-09-2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

when I took archery in college for a PE class...(easy A btw)...professor had us wrap athletic tape around the top of the riser, right above the grip...then we stuck straight pins into the tape just like a regular sight...worked great....

Comment

Originally posted by J_Foster View Post
                        Me too, my release has been giving me fits. So earlier, i walked out planning to shoot for about an hour. Took the first shot at 15, missed my Hurricane target to the left by almost a foot. Retrieved my arrow and went right back in the house and continued watchin' football [emoji31].

Maybe tomorrow.

I have done the same thing! I am not really sure how much it even matters unless you are shooting a target. I have proven over and over you can shoot exactly where you aim but you have no control over what the deer will do. It seems the more I think about it the worse I shoot.

Comment

When you lose control, stop shooting for at least a couple of hours.
                          Stopping, and waiting until the next day is even better.

Rick

Comment

Shooting much better so far this afternoon. 12, 15, and 17 yards holding approx. 3" to 5" groups. Funny thing is, instead of shooting with my old American Leather glove with the Cordura fingertips, I just grabbed my leather work glove from the garage. It seemed to feel alot better, with less effort to release the string. Hmmm???

Taking a break for a few hours to run back into San Antonio for a while. I'll pick it back up again when I get back and hopefully can repeat my results from earlier.

Junkers, did you get to shoot today? If so, how'd it go?

Comment

Junkers, I don't know why it happens, but it happened to me to just last week. The day before I left for Big Oak I was shooting so bad I was gonna take my compound, and nearly did. I slung one so bad I missed my entire target by a couple feet. But I settled in after a little break and started shooting again, and it all came back. I think that sometimes, we overthink things. Just draw, anchor aim and release. If I try to focus on my grip, or my release, or my stance, it seems to mess me up that much more. If I just pic a spot and focus 100% on it and let everything else just happen I do ok. I know you'll get back on track!!

Comment

Working...
                              X