Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wood Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Orford cedar for me. Hildebrand or from Terry at nocking point. Terry will steer you right. Arvin

Comment

If you go with cedar or Douglas Fir, Terry at the Nocking Point is the way I would go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
        Curveball thrown.... Hope it's not a fast one, I am reading up on Chundoo and the Pass through- Ramin Hardwood. This has definitely slowed my "jump out there and do it" mode.
        To many choices. ? .
        Having too many choices definitely can cause indecision really quick. Just remember, you don't have to stick with your first choice for jumping in. I would think the points/tools/nocks would be similar for all the woods... right?

BTW, remind me of this when I try building woods.

Comment

Tools are similar, and don't worry, when you start to do a set I will just try to recover this thread. :-)

Comment

Love the woodies, they fly well and are loads of fun to make.

Sitka Spruce is light and makes a good target or 3D arrow, Doug Fir and Chundoo (Southern Pine) make very good mid-weight shafts, if you want heavyweights try Ash...tough as nails and they hit hard. Ramin is cheap, tough and heavy but doesn't have much grain to it. My favorite is good ole' P.O. Cedar...for the reasons stated above.

You'll be hooked once you make a few dozen, it's a great hobby and you can make them as fancy or as plain as you like. Match the spine to your bow, get decent quality (straight grain) shafts and you'll be fine.

Check the web for sources and prices, there's alot to choose from.

if you like the idea of traditional and like seeing your shafts fly to the mark instead of following a carbon vapor trail to it then you'll love shooting wood arrows. They're just flat-out cool to shoot...especially when you make them yourself.

Then all you'll need is a Hill longbow and some woods to hunt in. Now THAT'S trad.

Comment

there is nothing better than shooting a MATCHED set of wood arrows...repeat
              there is nothing better than shooting a MATCHED set of wood arrows
              call terry at the nocking point. you'll get what you ordered...
              poc or other.. I'm a p.o.c. guy. it is the wood for good arrows.....
              what ever you do the beginning of good arrows is good wood shafts,,,period...
              get good shafts all the rest is bling...
              a spine tester and a grain scale are preferred
              J.M.H.O. JEFFRO

Comment

Sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                X