Wood Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Arrows

Any advice appreciated. I believe I am about to start trying to make my own woodies.
    POC Vs Douglas Fir what is the benefit of either? Who do you order from?
    Type of taper tool- there are lots of options and I don't want to do mass quantities. but I do want consistent
    Finish- what works for you
    Where do you buy knocks, points, fletching?
    It takes a few tools and pieces to make arrows. I have some field points and broad heads I am planning on using, but it would be nice to get everything else at one place if possible.

I know you can buy carbons and aluminums, and that it's easier or more consistent, not interested in those comments.
    Thanks,
    Bones
    Last edited by Dry Bones; 06-10-2016, 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling

You can get everything you want at Three Rivers Archery.

Comment

I prefer Douglas fir over poc. It's more durable and has a heavier mass weight. POC does smell nice when you break it or taper one though Get your shafts from either surewood or Hildebrand if you used Douglas fir. Their shafts are the best I've used as far as straightness and weight range, plus you can request what weight you are trying to achieve and they will help you get to that weight. All of the tools and accessories I would get from 3 rivers.
      Last edited by chackworth3; 06-11-2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Well. Like everything else, it comes to personal preference.
        I shoot carbons, cedars and douglas fir arrows. I like them all.
        Douglas fir is tougher and heavier than cedar. Its also tougher to work with.
        Cedars have that special scent that take you to the woods just by smelling them. My kids fight over the cut off pieces of cedar shafts because of that.
        You cant go wrong either way. Also, dont worry about inconsistency. They will fly true if they're tuned. I've come to learn that even slightly warpped arrows can hit the mark.
        As far as finish, ai like polycrilic over gasket laquer.

Comment

I to like douglas fir,get them from surewood shafts,I use minwax stain,for the finish,I use polyurethane fast drying in the dip tube without the gasket, mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. Works good for me.

Sam

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. The more knowledge I can get to start with the better I hope it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
              Thanks for the information everyone. The more knowledge I can get to start with the better I hope it turns out.
              You know that you can just buy carbon or aluminum. They are way easier and more consistent. If you are interested, I'll tell you more about those

Comment

I knew some one had to throw that out there, which is precisely why I put it into the original post. Thanks Swamp Rabbit... I have a decent set-up for each, but the feel of wood arrows and the flight of them is WAY BETTER then that of any synthetic material.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                  I knew some one had to throw that out there, which is precisely why I put it into the original post. Thanks Swamp Rabbit... I have a decent set-up for each, but the feel of wood arrows and the flight of them is WAY BETTER then that of any synthetic material.
                  Oooops... that was supposed to be a instead of . Go back to your OP... I used your last paragraph nearly word for word.

Comment

I like Sitka space the best! Light and tough

Comment

Where do you get the Sitka Spruce?
                      I am leaning hard towards Surewood Shafts currently.

Comment

Cedar or sitka spruce as they are the lightest shafts you can buy. Get them slightly over spined and add your weight in point weight for better foc. The best and easiest finish you can put on them is Watco oil. It comes in different stains and just rubs on with a cloth or piece of fleece. It will soak into the wood a little bit so the finish is in the wood and not just one it. Just rub it on, let it dry, rub over it with 4/0 steel wool and you're done.

Comment

Hildabrant arrows is where I get my Sitka spruce arrows.

Comment

^^^^
                            All of the above are excellent raw materials cedar been my favorite but let me throw a curve ball.

I've been looking for a tough light and easy to work a friend got me into this arrows I just ordered them but did lots of research and all reviews were good.

chundoo from Twig archery they've got some premium shaft at $48.00 and 70-80% at $20.00!!!!
                            I ordered premium and 70-80% for flu flu arrows

Comment

Curveball thrown.... Hope it's not a fast one, I am reading up on Chundoo and the Pass through- Ramin Hardwood. This has definitely slowed my "jump out there and do it" mode.
                              To many choices. ? .

Comment

Working...
                              X