No announcement yet.

Selfbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the pic the bottom limb has taken more set than the top unless that is just the natural bend in the wood. Remember don't put more strain on the limbs than end-desired draw weight. You want a 50# bow don't pull the bow over 50# at desired draw length during tiller process or after either. They will take less set. Arvin

Comment

Arvin, that is the natural shape. I haven't begun the tillering process yet. Next step is steam bending to get the centerline to cross at the hendle again.

Comment

If your floor tillering...you have begun the tillering process...at least in my mind you have...and if you are getting problems in the floor tillering process....yikes !!
        Best make sure and positive that's just the stick and not an issue at this point....all this is my opinion of course.

Comment

No problems that I know of. The limbs are also extra long. I have not lopped off where the tips really are.

I just double checked and the bend you see is the natural curve of the wood. I was able to compare to the sister stave to be certain

Comment

If this could be done with Post Oak or Walnut I'd be tempted to put some up in a back closet to try in a couple years. Have to explain to the wife why there are bow staves in the house though��

Keep it up man! I like watching the process.

Comment

I would get both limbs even at this point if possible. Arvin

Comment

Here is a better look

But gotta fix this too

Comment

Looks like you need to start shooting left hand with that one

Comment

I thought about using that side for a minute. Nuckle shoot and it would be center shot there. But... figure I would be slapping the crap out of my arm... and an oopsie is going to put a small cutout shelf on the other side.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Heat deflex in the other limb to match and it will make a great shooter after it takes a little set. And yes if you can make the wiggle in the handle shoot center with a shelf I would leave it. Arvin
                        Last edited by Selfbowman; 07-06-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Steing center is currently about 1/4" below the handle in that pic. Gotta heat bend it more to get the handle in the middle. The top of that handle is where I "should" put the shelf based on a slight slip of a knife...

Comment

Let us see the string run on that puppy...im curious to see how it's running.

Comment

This summer has been so busy!!!

Okay... so here is a strung run.

Closeup at handle

As you can see... it passes nowhere near the grip center. In fact, I would prefer the shelf to be in the upper left hand section on handle in this picture since I have a gouge right there.

Here is another pic of the side profile. I was thinking about flatening the side that showed deflex... but now may just bend the other side to match.

Essentially bend so that I get the near tip in that pic down.

Interesting thing is that section under the chalk box is where I would have to bend for string alignment. Not sure how heating twice and bending in 2 different planes will work.

Wondering if I can make a jig that I can do both at once.

Comment

You need to update this ...have you bent it at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X