No announcement yet.

Sidearms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to carry a 38 either on my hip or in my pack if I was out hunting alone. Have had a good bit of close contact between me and herds of hogs. Plus it does give me some added security like stated above as I leave and it's dark. Now I have a 38 on me at all times. Not matter what I'm doing. Once legal you might as well have it.
    I did carry my Tomahawk for a while when I shot my blackpowder rifles a good bit, My favorite was my flintlock Hawken, and for some reason I just felt like I was suppose to carry the tomahawk..

Comment

I always carry, always. On the ranch I need to for the rattlers, at home for the idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Dog View Post
        Yes. I've always believed that a sidearm is like a parachute. If you need one but don't have one, you're not likely to need one again.
        X2. I carry everywhere legal. It has no bearing on my bow hunting.

Comment

Am I the only one who is not the least bit surprised that SwampRabbit wants a 1911 with grips to match the Green Gremlin?! Ya killin me Smalls, ya killin me... Would be kinda cool though, huh? Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

No, not while bowhunting. I carry the .22 pistol during rides around for varmint control.

Comment

Usually a compact 1911 Kimber for snakes because a flamethrower is too bulky.

Comment

The only time I carry
                Is when I am out solo hunting
                I carry a Derringer in 45

Comment

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it-Woodrow Call. I definitely carry in Colorado. Almost needed it once for a black bear with a bad attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                    Am I the only one who is not the least bit surprised that SwampRabbit wants a 1911 with grips to match the Green Gremlin?! Ya killin me Smalls, ya killin me... Would be kinda cool though, huh? Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                    It would be better than cool

Long story short, about a year ago, before I even started looking for my first custom bow, my wife asked if there was any other gun that I'd want... now that I bowhunt. I told her I'd like a 1911 in 45acp for a ranch gun. I mentioned it would be kind of cool if it had grips that had the same wood grain of a custom bow.

I can't claim that is an original idea... I want to say I read somebody who got that as an anniversary gift.

Comment

It’s hard to beat the timeless combination of wood and steel. We carefully select and match the most prized traditional and exotic hardwoods to give you the best grip. From wood figure to...

Here you go, Scott. These boys look like they could fix you up in style.

Comment

Here is another place. https://raasco.com/1911-grips/govern...wood-laminate/

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          It would be better than cool

Long story short, about a year ago, before I even started looking for my first custom bow, my wife asked if there was any other gun that I'd want... now that I bowhunt. I told her I'd like a 1911 in 45acp for a ranch gun. I mentioned it would be kind of cool if it had grips that had the same wood grain of a custom bow.

I can't claim that is an original idea... I want to say I read somebody who got that as an anniversary gift.
                          They are pretty easy to make for a 1911. (With out checkering). I have made a couple and a few for ruger blackhawks , its been awhile though and I have sold all the 1911. I would just take the grip off the firearm and use it as a pattern. Don't know what kind of green wood you need but I may have some green laminated dymond wood I made a bow for my son out of laying around. If you would like to try, I could look for it.
                          Last edited by critter69; 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                            They are pretty easy to make for a 1911. (With out checkering). I have made a couple and a few for ruger blackhawks , its been awhile though and I have sold all the 1911. I would just take the grip off the firearm and use it as a pattern. Don't know what kind of green wood you need but I may have some green laminated dymond wood I made a bow for my son out of laying around. If you would like to try, I could look for it.
                            First, I need to buy a 1911 Went price checking those things and they definitely get steep. Probably would just buy an all blued Colt.

Second, I'd probably call up Roger at Black Widow and figure out what stain they use for the Greenleaf and then go from there. They just used stained birch. The hard part would be getting the red incorporated in just the right way.

Comment

Heck, I always carry a rifle when I'm bowhunting. After seeing pigs and predators pass out of bow range I'd rather be able to shoot them than miss the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                              X