Sidearms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidearms?

I carry guns sometimes, and always have a rifle and a pistol in the truck.

For some reason, though, I just don't like to carry a pistol when bowhunting. As silly as it may seem, it offends my sense of the purity, the aesthetics of hunting with the bow.

Many, if not most of the bowhunters I know in Colorado carry a pistol for bear defense.

Hogs will hurt you too, though.

Soo.. I have loved knives since my Pawpaw gave me a broken-bladed Case pocket knife and a whetstone when I was 4. Nearly cut my thumb off. Mother was not pleased with me or him. :-)

Anyway, I now carry a 10" Bowie when bowhunting. Partly as an excuse to carry that big rascal, but also I figure it might save my life if right up close with a hog or bear, or...

I've only used it once, when I shot a raccoon out of a tree with a broadhead, while out roving, and my dogs jumped him. Fight on! Rolling furball.

Couldn't shoot, so I dropped my bow, waded in, and whacked him right behind the head, severing the spine. Fight over.

Cool!

Any of y'all carry backup weapons?

Joe

I always have my 1911 on me when hunting.

Comment

I always take my Ruger 45 with me in South Texas - never know who will be walking through.

Comment

I carry anywhere I am allowed to do so, and have declined to hunt some places that would not allow it.

Having the sidearm does not invade my senses of bowhunting at all.
        The pistol isn't there to hunt with.

Rick

Comment

I always carry. Hunting or not. It doesn't spoil it for me, but I'm sure we are different. I don't mind hunting with a compound, or hunting over a feeder or anything.

Comment

I have thought it would be really cool to have a 1911 with wood grips that matched my bow. Seriously, I'm not joking.

However, when I am out hunting with my bow, rifle, whatever, I carry my same concealed carry handgun. If I go to a bow hunting only ranch that doesn't permit guns, I leave it locked up in the vehicle.

It doesn't mess with my sense of bowhunting either. I carry it for protection from 2 legged and 4 legged threats, not for hunting.

Comment

I carry a pistol every time I hunt where I live. I seen , heard of some bad stuff happen . It hasn't happend to me but that's why I carry. Some other parts in Texas maybe not needed but here in south it's a must.

Comment

Well you could go all out Indian on us carry a knife and tomahawk in your belt, your bow and arrows in a case on your back, and your trusty lance in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                  Well you could go all out Indian on us carry a knife and tomahawk in your belt, your bow and arrows in a case on your back, and your trusty lance in your hands.
                  I have carried a tomahawk and finished off a spine shot doe with it.

Originally posted by RoyseCity View Post
                  I carry guns sometimes, and always have a rifle and a pistol in the truck.

For some reason, though, I just don't like to carry a pistol when bowhunting. As silly as it may seem, it offends my sense of the purity, the aesthetics of hunting with the bow.

Many, if not most of the bowhunters I know in Colorado carry a pistol for bear defense.

Hogs will hurt you too, though.

Soo.. I have loved knives since my Pawpaw gave me a broken-bladed Case pocket knife and a whetstone when I was 4. Nearly cut my thumb off. Mother was not pleased with me or him. :-)

Anyway, I now carry a 10" Bowie when bowhunting. Partly as an excuse to carry that big rascal, but also I figure it might save my life if right up close with a hog or bear, or...

I've only used it once, when I shot a raccoon out of a tree with a broadhead, while out roving, and my dogs jumped him. Fight on! Rolling furball.

Couldn't shoot, so I dropped my bow, waded in, and whacked him right behind the head, severing the spine. Fight over.

Cool!

Any of y'all carry backup weapons?

Joe
                  I carried a Bowie for the same exact reason as you mentioned for yrs. Now I hunt in South Texas and due to the amount of illegal traffic I always carry my .45.

BTW Fred Bear carried a pistol in a shoulder holster when hunting in bear country.

Comment

When hunting I carry a pistol of varying caliber regardless of rifle or bow. If I'm hunting I also carry a big*** knife my grandfather made because of sentimentality.

I previously kept a firearm in the truck. Lesson learned. I'm in the market, short on cash though I am, for a carry gun.

Long and short of it is that it always seems smarter to lawfully carry than not to, surroundings aside.

Comment

I carry my 1911 everywhere I'm allowed to

Comment

You are alone out in the woods and a lot of times entering and leaving at dark...Always smart to have a side arm! People are opportunistic and I'm not into giving them opportunity.

Comment

I never have in the past, now I have a CHL

Comment

Yes. I've always believed that a sidearm is like a parachute. If you need one but don't have one, you're not likely to need one again.

Comment

My glock 10 mm is with me no matter what weapon I use. Sometimes it's all I carry during gun season.

Comment

Working...
                              X