No announcement yet.

Big Jim's longbow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Jim has a tutorial on making a two piece bow on his site. You should check it out. His look like the two pieces slide into each other

Comment

Understood. But I'm pretty sure he glues up the bow, saws it in half, and then fits his sleeve system.

For what it's worth, Big Jim's and Bamabows' 2-piece systems are similar, really well thought out, and intelligently use angles to divert force down through the length of the riser.

The straight parallel sleeve systems scare me, as do the hinged ones, and the bow bolt. A whole lot of force concentrated in a small area.

Those are the two I'd consider if I was set on a 2-piece longbow.

Joe

Comment

It occurs to me that I missed Ben's point. Duh.

Retrofitting a FINISHED 1 piece bow to 2 piece is prolly a very bad idea.

I reckon they saw the bow in half pretty early in the process, install the sleeve or bolt or hinge, and then shape around it.

Can't do that on a finished bow.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by RoyseCity View Post
          Understood. But I'm pretty sure he glues up the bow, saws it in half, and then fits his sleeve system.

For what it's worth, Big Jim's and Bamabows' 2-piece systems are similar, really well thought out, and intelligently use angles to divert force down through the length of the riser.

The straight parallel sleeve systems scare me, as do the hinged ones, and the bow bolt. A whole lot of force concentrated in a small area.

Those are the two I'd consider if I was set on a 2-piece longbow.

Joe
          Big Jim glues the bow up with intention of that bow being made into a 2 piece the riser is reinforced with G10 for additional strength. Any bow is subject to failure depending on the materials used whether it be a one piece, 2 piece or 3 piece bow. I wouldn't take any of my 1 piece bows that I have made and make them into a 2 piece take down. Simply because they weren't built with that in mind and do not have reinforcement designed into the riser. I wouldn't worry about failure in the 2 piece bows that Big Jim builds but yes I would be worried like you about a 2 piece bow that was converted as an after thought to the original making of the bow.

Comment

Good info, HC--Thanks.

I guess some of my aversion to 2-piece bows is irrational.

Once burned, twice shy. :-)

Joe

Comment

Hey, Ben....
              Who are the golden triangle guys and where do they shoot?
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
                Hey, Ben....
                Who are the golden triangle guys and where do they shoot?
                Thanks
                I sent you a PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check that out. Making a trip to San Antonio in a little over a month. Planning on making the short detour to Mr. Sarrels place to shoot a few bows. I like the idea of a bow made by a TX bowyer, so this might be an expensive trip......

Comment

Just got back from javelina hunting and my buddy had a big jim two piece thunder child. I shot it quite a bit. And really like it, shot great. And at 62 lb we both draw about 28 inches, it flings an arrow pretty quick. We were shooting it at like 7 3/4 brace when we hit 8 1/4 I think it was. It shot fantastic. He did get his two javelina with it. I would love to have one. Probably the best shooting bow I have shot.
                    Last edited by critter69; 03-29-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

good info. thanks

Comment

For what it is worth, there is a very nice 58" Big Jim Thunderchild Takedown for sale on Tradgang today. Pricey but worth every penny.

Doug

Comment

Tradgang.... BLASPHEMY!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            Tradgang.... BLASPHEMY!
                            Nah!!! Just an alternative.

Comment

Working...
                            X