Big Jim's longbow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Jim's longbow???

anyone have any experience with Big Jim's bows? I'm very interested in his 2 piece buffalo longbow. Would really like to hear some reviews from those who have shot any of his bows.

thanks

I've owned several of his bows; one piece, three piece and two piece, both recurve and longbows. Currently I have a 56" Thunderchild longbow, which is a wonderful shooter. The Thunderchild is a heavy reflex/deflex forward riser longbow. The only one I was not pleased with was a 45# 3-Piece Buff longbow and for some reason it seemed "mushy" (for lack of a better way to describe it).

Big Jim puts a lot of effort in both the material side and craftsmanship side of his bows. He is in the top 5 Bowyers for sure.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try and help if possible.

Doug Key

Comment

how does the 2 piece feel compared to a one piece??

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
        how does the 2 piece feel compared to a one piece??
        Really can't tell the difference when strung up... There is a $150 upgrade fee for the 2pc that is money well spent if you do any traveling.

I have a couple of his bows and I can say that they shoot as well as they look. Big Jim's bows carry a re-sale value that is 2nd to none that I have ever seen. You never see the Buffalos for sale for a reason, they're super bows.

Comment

I know you were asking about the longbows but I have a Big Jim recurve.
          My recurve is very smooth and quick. Looking at the bow I can tell Jim puts a lot
          Of time on the details. It's currently for sale can't get used to the handle since I'm a longbow guy.
          Hope this helped

Comment

Like Caught and Hobble stated, once it is mated, you can't tell the difference in either look or feel. Jim used Micarta for both strength and it adds weight for stability.

I love mine.

Doug

Comment

I hear a lot of praise for Sarrels bows here. How would y'all compare the quality between Sarrels and Big Jims bows?

Comment

I hear a lot of praise for Sarrels bows here. How would y'all compare the quality between Sarrels and Big Jims bows?
                I see we are neighbors, you are welcome to come over and try both if you would like. We are having a few TBH Brothers over tomorrow evening, we normally get together weekly on Wednesday evenings.

Comment

That would be great. I don't think I can make it this week, but I will definitely get back with you on that.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                    I see we are neighbors, you are welcome to come over and try both if you would like. We are having a few TBH Brothers over tomorrow evening, we normally get together weekly on Wednesday evenings.
                    Definitely do this. You won't find anything wrong with either bowyer or a lot of the other ones out there for that matter. Big Jim and Bob Sarrels both are top notch bowyers and have great bow designs. The thing you need to do is shoot them and see which one's style and design fit you best. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

I have one that's a take down two piece, very good craftsmanship!

Comment

That would be great. I don't think I can make it this week, but I will definitely get back with you on that.
                        Definitely come out and shoot. Doing so will drastically shorten the learning curve. Hopefully it will be on a day that I make it out there.

Comment

I am going to ben's on Wednesday

Comment

My days are typically filled with work, church, and the kids soccer practice. But, I will definitely try to make time for it. Thanks for the invite and keep me posted for when you have time to shoot

Comment

I know they aren't the same but if you can, shoot a Sarrels Blueridge 3-piece longbow. I have also owned a bunch of Bob's bows and the Blueridge S/R (short riser) is the best for me. Had a great one and let it go last year. Really regretted that since and will have another before long.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X